Halve Sticky Bomb Damage

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Demented, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Demented

Demented Member

Drop sticky grenade damage to 100 (150 vs vehicles) and increase sticky ammunition to 5 (10 with ammo upgrade). Also perhaps alter resistances so infantry take 1-5% more damage from stickies to ensure a single sticky will kill a player at full health.

As far as tactics, this will encourage riflemen to sneak up on vehicles in order to land multiple stickies onto the target. It should discourage them from charging headlong into machineguns hoping they'll get in range to throw a single 300-damage sticky bomb onto their target. Riflemen can also distribute their grenades across multiple vehicles, rather than being out after 2 grenades. Lastly, they'll be capable of dealing slightly more damage overall with full ammunition (750 vs. 600).

Sadly, it won't one-shot jeeps or infantry with health upgrade.

[This was, admittedly, inspired by Dubee's incessant whining, particularly a momentary complaint of his that sticky grenades were so powerful when originally implemented to compensate for the pre-2.29 and post-1.71 rifles.]

2. Empty

Empty Member

No god no fuck off get out.

3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

empty hates anything to do with me..

Decrease damage/increase range.

4. Empty

Empty Member

shut up dubee you don't play rifleman

5. War Man

War Man Member

I would only accept this if the throw distance of stickies were dramatically increased to be very close to regular nade ranges.

6. recon

recon SM Support Dev

That ^

7. Demented

Demented Member

I do, however.
    Pro tip: Sprint forward while throwing regular grenades.
    Regular nade ranges are absurd in the right hands.

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No, terrible idea. Give stickies to grenadiers as an alternative to mines as well as riflemen.

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I don't see why people think this is a terrible idea, but at the same time, I don't see why it's better than the current.

10. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

I like the "increase range, decrease damage" suggestion. That way it would...wait...
    That way it would be easier for scouts to sticky stun. FFFFFFFFFFf

11. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

Because ambushing works better if you can kill quickly, throwing 5 nades and having the first explode before the third is on, doesn't work as well as cook, throw, throw, run.

This is why being able to get 4 stickies on any heavy tank assures a kill. Because its fucking hard.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It removes even more utlity from what is already a kinda useless weapon, you can only use stickies in a few situations, and their power lies in the fact that you can do massive damage very quickly if you can get close enough, that is their only selling point.

If you remove that ability and make them slow to do damage, why bother using them unless you are really desperate?

13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

ha... give only one sticky and make it auto eject driver and he can't get back in for 2 seconds.

14. Krazer

Krazer Member

Dumb Idea.

15. Demented

Demented Member

I had assumed discretion was better.

See, it wasn't until I read Foxy's (stikkys r hard) and Chris' (stikkys r uslss) posts that I remembered Empires players actually want to play slaughtered/canyon/mvalley, maps where you can only approach tanks from the front.

16. Foxy

And lets the rifleman in.

CV steal go!

17. Empty

Empty Member

Risk/Reward should be similar.
    Sticking a tank = huge risk, you have to run over open ground, to a heavily armored, fast, powerful, nearly instakill you behemoth and hit it in melee multiple times already, for the reward of it dying.

Remove the reward and you have huge risk for piss reward. Stickies are useful in loads of situations. Just because you're butthurt your vehicle got killed by a lucky rifleman doesn't mean every rifleman should suffer. Tanks are quad damage red armor and haste, all in one, the infantry need a fucking chance.

18. Demented

Demented Member

"you have to run over open ground"
    ...After the invention of the machine gun, that is the official tactic of fools.
    If vehicle machine gun prediction ever gets implemented, it will become suicide.
    Sneaking up on tanks does work, you know. (Except in slaughtered, which shouldn't count for anything.)

19. Foxy

Shhh.

Don't tell them that!

20. Empty

Empty Member

You can't sneak up on tanks in all situations, even in maps that aren't slaughtered. Besides that, every time you sneak up on a tank a million and one things can go wrong, he might turn and see you, if you cooked your sticky too much it'll go off before you can get another one down and he'll see you, he might randomly start reversing, you might get shot in the back, you might get run over by another tank, every microsecond you have next to a tank counts, if you make it require any longer to sticky a tank effecively then tanks simply won't die anymore.