GUI suggestion

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by CobaltBlue, Mar 21, 2008.

1. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

You know how you can auto-join a server when a slot opens up, and how the auto-join feature doesn't work when the server has reserved slots?

A bit of GUI futzing and a small code tweak could make all the difference. I wish they would do this for all source/gold-source games by adding it to the SDK Base.

My suggestion is to add a text box to the auto-join screen used to indicate at what slot count to join at. --So if it is a 32 person server and the player knows there are 2 reserved slots, they can type 30 in the text box and, instead of waiting until the filled slots dropped below 32, it would wait for 30. The value in the box would of course have to be auto-set to the server capacity value when the auto-join screen gets activated so that the auto-join acts normally by default.

This is obviously helpful for players, but it would also generate more traffic for server owners as well.

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I've never seen a mod change the actual steam browser, so not sure if it's possible, my guess is it's not possible, even if you have a licensed source engine.

What server owners should really do is use a plugin that supports invisible reserved slots, so if a server says it has a max of 30 players, the actual reserved slots are not counted and will not make you fail auto-join. A lot of servers have this, some probably don't like it because it makes their server look like it has less max players, or the other way around ;)

3. kill3rtomato

kill3rtomato Member

I can think of one game that did alter it (some): Garry's Mod. It has to display the game mode and whatnot. Anyways, there's no reason if you have all the source code that you can't change it. The thing is, do you REALLY need to change it? Not for most games.

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Garry's mod is special: it's not a mod anymore. He's got access to the engine's source code, which allows him to edit far more than other modders. It may be possible for Krenzo to modify the GUI, but it's still much easier to just check it yourself.

5. kill3rtomato

kill3rtomato Member

I know he already got the source code, I'm just saying that it IS possible with the source code which the guy above said wasn't.. Either way this suggestion is kinda pointless.. so as solo said just check it yourself..

6. arklansman

arklansman Member

The reserved slots being invisible depends on the plugin, so Krenzo has no control over it. (Except on his own server of course :P )

7. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

This is definitely possible to do with a mod. It is no different than the way the 'Controls' menu got changed. If my SDK worked or I wasn't too busy with my own projects to force it to work, I'd write it and show you. Like I say it shouldn't take much effort.

I don't see why you say it is pointless. Explain.

FUN FACT: You can mess with your own main GUI menu in game by pressing ctrl+shift+alt+b. You can't solve any problems this way besides asthetics, but it is fun to play with.

8. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Garry's mod does not change the actual steam server browser though, only the one in game. I was thinking of this being more important as you usually don't want to have the game loaded when you're still in line.

9. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

Oh. Now I see what you are saying. No actually, I almost always load the game before I choose servers. I was only talking about the in-game, main menu, server browser.