Grenade Physics

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Evan, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

I was playing a round of district today and a bunch of people were nade spamming. My suggestion: Make nades get blown around by explosions.

For example, if someone throws 3 nades, when the first one blows up it blows the other two off in some direction where they then explode when their timer is reached.

This would effectively kill nade spamming... people would have to wait until their first nade exploded before throwing the second because there would be no knowing if the 2nd nade might be blown back at them.

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

like halo rite? sounds cool to me

3. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Sounds like a good solution without modifying anything else significantly...

4. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

If you know what you are doing you can fire grenades into buildings real fast...

5. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

This sounds like it could be interesting. However... they would all have to be serverside, = much lag when lots is happening. I'd like to see it though :)

6. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

It wouldn't contribute much to lag, actually. They're very simple physics objects and they have a short lifespan. Furthermore, their position is already being updated every tick or so (assuming they don't work like some physics objects which stop updating once they've come to rest, and even then it would be incredibly miniscule) even without being able to move each other, so there wouldn't really be any lag added at all.

Doesn't Half-Life 2 have this working on the default grenades, too?

7. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Don't know about that, but you can cook them with the Gravity Gun

8. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Uhh, it probably wouldn't lag you guys much, but it MIGHT lag me. Depends on how they're implemented right now. If they're still updating info even when resting, then it won't change things for me.

It would strengthen farming, though.

9. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

wouldn't the realistic thing be simply all the grenades detonating at once? Like the landmines already do? Plus, that would KIND of... i suppose... maybe get rid of spam? cause it wouldn't be a 30 second long series of explosions? I don't know.

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

This does happen in HL2, and possibly even HL2DM. This would be really cool to see though, provided it doesn't create too much lag.

What about smoke grenades, could they be blown around? Their usefulness would be reduced dramatically if you could just blow it out of the way.

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

What I'm looking most forward too is being able to shoot a grenade that's right next to you and have it fly out the way, it's really fun in half life 2.

yes, they do have it enabled by default in half life 2.

in halo (2 as well, i think), then occasionally, if an explosion hits some grenades, they'll detonate at the same time.

a mix of this would be cool.

12. arklansman

arklansman Member

I don't think it works that way in HL2:DM.

Gotta love those smilies.

13. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

use semi colons?

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I think it is like that in hl2 dm- I once hit a grenade in the air with a sink or something.

oh, and a cool thing happened where someone launched a butane bottle at me and i hit it with the crossbow; it went flying off to the side, looked REALLY cool.

15. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Perhaps it'd be a good idea about grenades being impenetrable on the outside, as in, to prevent mass explosion when an ammo truck gets assaulted. Safety you know. So you can shoot away grenades, and have them fly away when another pops near it.

16. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Maybe make weather it explodes relative to the grenade. If the explosion hits the side with the pin (isn't that supposed to be weaker?) it detonates it. If the explosion hits the other side, they take the blunt of the damage and the grenade flies.

I can see this turning into a new sport: Empires grenade launching. Drop a rgenade, drop a second grenade. make the grenade fly as far/high as possible.

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I think you're getting a little bit too detailed with the whole "when does it explode" thing.

18. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Yeah, keep it simple. I vote for it never exploding, just send them flying.

19. Caelo

Caelo Member

ehm never exploding grenades is one thing you DON'T want... :P

20. KILLX

KILLX Banned

He means a grenade explosion will not set of other grenades. for example, in halo 2, throw a grenade into a cache of grenades, they ALL explode. he doesn't want that sort of thing.