Grenade launchers

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Vaun, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Vaun

Vaun Member

Ive noticed while in the group standing arround the ammo box waiting for ammo that a lot of guns have grenade launchers modeled onto them. Im not sure if in the past they served some function, but it would be good if weapons with these modeled on could use them to launch infantry used grenades farther than a normal throw.

Pros-Infantry can fight lvl3 turrets from range w/o suicidally rushing the turret. Makes elevated positions breachable.

Cons-could replace the mortar, not likely though.

Alts-The grenades are time delayed, so they're not good against moving targets. Also, grenades arent very strong against vehicles.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Well?

YES

I want it

3. Lucko

Lucko Member

I like the idea :-). But I'm just a junior member or what ever so I look really nooby xD.

4. Vaun

Vaun Member

Geez why does it keep logging me out... Anyway, thanks for the quick responses and for agreeing. Also, if anyones been playing that long, in the older versions, did the grenade launchers actually do anything? Or were they just nice little addons to the gun models?

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

There are no grenade launchers on any of the weapons, they are foregrips, used to hold the weapon. It would also make most of them overpowered, the grenadier class would become useless, and melee/ironsights would not be usable on secondary fire.

6. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

But like he said, have a time delay on it so that its not over powerd. Plus insted of makeing it a secondary fire, just make the player scoll to nade lanucher like in most games. I think it should be a skill as well to get it and to balance it you have it as a 2 point skill. I support this idea and I think that it would give the riflemen a bit more of a fighting chance, cus at the moment everybody is ether a eng, gren or scout. The riflemen has no power vs tanks so it is rarely seen. You could also fit it with differant nades such as HE or Smoke (dont think smoke would be used much but its just an example) ^^

7. Dannyboy

Dannyboy Member

The riflemen already have HE nades, so I think smoke would suit best as a assault so the enemy can't see you when your comming

8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

No.. No power against tanks?!

I've wondered why I haven't seen you ingame latley. STICKY BOMBS HURT!

But ye, me want.

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Yes, sticky bombs out of a grenade launcher would so not be unbalanced in any way shape or form.

as far as improving the range of grenades, you already have a decent range, more than the range of a turret. GL hitting anything with time delayed that isn't stationary anyways.

I think the only thing this would do is make the grenade an artillery shell with time delay or make it possible to hit tanks from a greater distance with stickies. Neither of those are necessarily a good thing in my experience, especially on maps like crossroads where it's already easy enough to nade spam the middle and get tons of points.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Wouldn't it make more sense to give the grenadier a grenade launcher, as he is the explosives expert?

You could make it replace the mortar as a weapon choice, and perhaps give it a few different grenade types, and perhaps an option to have it time delay or impact for some of them (not frag grenades though, keep them timed, it would be way overpowered with them being contact detonated)

11. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I had in mind an option for the grenadier to swap his pistol and mortar for an smg with grenade launcher, kinda like a UMP45 with a grenade launcher, short range, but still useful. He'd have no RPG to compensate for more anti-infantry, but the GL might have a cilindric magazine like in the MGL.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah I was thinking of a rotary one.

If you wanted you could make it like those new underslung ones which also double as a shotgun, just give them the GL and a sidearm, and have it fire smoke, flash, frag, and buckshot, and maybe some sort of light anti-vehicle weapon too, such as a shaped charge shell which damages vehicles on contact but isn't good against infantry.

The flash ammo would let him use the shotgun more effectively, and the anti vehicle and frag ammo would still give him some direct combat effectiveness. It would also put a shotgun into the game in a role which could still be useful in more environments.

13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Multi-ammo GLs sound great, but balancing it is hell. You could tie it into the research tree, but then you'd have the problem of it only being for the grenadier, just like RPG damage upgrade. You could give other infantry the grenades, although less powerful, and timed like other throwable grenades.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well I was thinking requiring the GL to reload after changing ammo, which would prevent comboing the grenades in undesired ways, and means the operator can't simply go own a bunch of infantry and then go onto tanks.

I was thinking of making the grenades basically the infantry grenades, although probably tone down the frag some.

The smoke I don't see an issue with, just give him one clip and a spare so he can blanket an area with smoke, useful for if the enemy is attacking you from a distance, you can just smoke their line of sight to block them off.

The flashbangs are an interesting one, I'd suggest having it be a three shot clip to prevent spam, perhaps the same with the smoke, although maybe make that a four shot clip. But basically you just use them and they work like regular flashbangs, you then move in with your shotgun, but risk being caught if there is more than one guy there or if one dodged the flashbang, and the other weapons work much better than your shotgun at range.

The frags would be toned down in terms of range and power, perhaps a six shot clip, and more like a cannon in terms of effectiveness, the bonus would be that you can shoot lots of them over a short time, which would make the people you shoot them at take cover until all the grenades explode, you also have the chance to kill people with them.

The AT shells would just be like small cannons, a full clip of hits would perhaps do the same damage as 1.5 RPGs, but you have more chance of hitting from close in and it's easier to use. You might also consider scaling damage with the RPG upgrade.

The shotgun would work like the buckshot pistol, so accuracy would be useful for the grenadier who uses it, and making it extremely effective at close range, OK at mid range, and useless at long, sort of like a more exaggerated SMG2 scale.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  15. Vaun

Vaun Member

Its not so much a mortar as it is an infantry throw range extender, but you would have to use 1 of the less accurate weapons, so you can also deal with turrets if your an engineer, and maby the rpg could have more punch. Also, wouldnt a sticky grenade stick in the barrel? So only he (or as an engineer, seismic) would be useable.

Think M203 launching regular frags.

Look at the smg2's kill icon, tell me that rectangle under the barrel doesnt look like a nadelauncher^^ . Anyway, try throwing a nade at a level 3 turret farm while in heated combat and tell me you have that kind of range.

Changes: No sticky grenade launcher rounds, reason-way unballanced, would stick to the launcher barrel.

The guns really dont need too much change, the foregrip (as i said earlier) looks like an underslung grenade launcher. Also, the grenade launcher would be selected like in CoD4, either with a kew to switch to it, or scroll to it.

Options: Keybind (bind g grenade launcher) or scroll to it. These are preset but for the gravity gun in hl2. So pretty much set it up like that.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  16. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Yarr, I be a jolly old sailorman if the Queen's RiflebARRin' Men get this Grenade LaunchARR undARR they Rapidfire Mooskets, 'swell as the Queen's CalculatARRsman be gettin' thARR Earthquakin' Maple Syrup Grenade LaunchARR undARR they SMGs.

17. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

If you want to extend your throw range, move forward while throwing.

18. Chahk

Chahk Member

Jumping while throwing also increases range.

19. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Solokiller Im proud of u, your supporting a great idea! ^^

Anyhow the problem of adding it to the tec tree is that very few, and i mean VERY few comms are going to rech it. The research tree i think could do with a bit of an overhall cus at the moment comms just seem to go for the same things and ignore other things, i think i have played only 2 games since 2.0 came out that have used any bio or plasma on both sides and rarly do i see the RPG upgrade. Balanceing woulnt be an issue for the nade launcher, all you have to do it make it so u have a choice of swaping it with RPG, and to make it better ammo could come with diffeant upgrades, so for example when the comm gets the HE cannon (which is very common) you can get HE ammo and so on (plz have gas ammo :p).

There we go, problem solved :p

The hillbilly has spoken ^^ my word is law (well...ish)

20. Vaun

Vaun Member

Ideas- make it require a skill (maby 2 slot) or add weapon customization.

Also, this would need to have farther range than any regular throw.

Also, for everyone saying to run or jump, go try that while surrounded by enemy guns, tanks, and soldiers, i doubt youll live very long...