Great game

Discussion in 'General' started by Frontier, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Frontier

Frontier Member

Ive been looking for a game like this ever since playing C&C renegade... do not think i am comparing these games, as this one blows renegade out of the water...

fuckin love this mod, please bare with me as i de-noobify..

id love some tips / tricks to help me out

and before i get a million links to the graphical introduction.. read it.. helped out alot! but i still suck, so as i said would love some help, be it here or you see me in game doing some dumb shit.

thanks
    Frontier Psychiatrist

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

place ammo, place cameras, listen to vets, listen com etc

and read the wiki too unless you want to get flamed

good thing you red the manual

3. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

thumbs up for reading the manual.

4. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Be engineer at start, then change class and go offensive.

5. Frontier

Frontier Member

thats pretty much the only class in interested in ne way.. well for now

wiki eh?? ill defintily be looking into this.. gotta get through the work day some how :P

6. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Read the chat, listen to voicechat.

If somebody tells you to do something, and you don't know what he's talking about, tell him that you don't understand what he means. Ask him to explain, he will do it. If you ignore him, he'll assume you're an idiot and get pissed.

No one ever got flamed in Empires for admitting to be a newbie. EVERYONE gets flamed for ignoring people who point out what he's doing wrong.

7. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

8. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

You mean little tricks like; use accuracy upgrade with rifle, never use scout except in really specific situations, always join squads for free points before you first spawn, never use standard armour/engine if there's something better, don't camp the VF waiting for more resouce, always have 2 plates on a LT, fire in bursts...

that kind of thing?

9. Frontier

Frontier Member

exactly that kind of thing

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Just don't do what in the following guide:

http://wiki.empiresmod.com/index.php?title=Noob's_Guide_to_Empires

Just point and click, with the appropriate weapon equipped.

other than that, it's not too difficult to get going. Unless you have a friend, don't get turret upgrade until you have gained 20 points. At that point you can have turret upgrade and repair upgrade, which really quadruples the speed of building a level 3 turret, not doubles. Why? 2 times faster, and no wait time for calc to refill.

Mortar is good, but don't forget about riflemen's grenades. both are very powerful tools if used appropriately, especially if the enemy team things it's actually save behind a wall.

If you don't want anyone to expect anything from you in a game, change your name to "Useless <prefered class>".

It's actually quite amusing to get behind the enemy on some maps with a lot of infantry combat and just shoot them with a scout pea shooter. They keep adjusting their position behind their cover as if they were being shot from in front. Due to the low rifle damage, you can do this many times until either they start running in circles looking all over the place, or you actually get a kill. Either way it can be quite humorous.

11. communism

communism poof

When playing engineer your strongest abilities are placing forward walls in a fire fight and reviving. If your team is getting pinned you wanna run a bit out and get your walls as close to them as possible, I usually go for U or C shaped walls (using 3). Once you get them down your team usually runs up and thats where you get healed and start the fight

Engis also take down buildings like cake, drop your U shaped walls and an ammo box and start nading. Making sure to pop your head up every 2 or 3 throws to look for anyone trying to flank you

12. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

YOU, I REMEMBER YOU. The problem with you is that you tend to build turrets when you see an enemy, you only do that to lure them into a trap, otherwise it's a bad idea, as an Engineer you should place down a wall, then a camera, THEN wait for people to come to you, but that depends how good of a shot you are.

13. Lord Banana

Lord Banana Member

Yeah this mod is pretty much the most epic

14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

who the hell are you lord banana?

15. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Hey front, glad you liked the mod. Empires has a strong community of old timers and some what new-timers (I started Empires at 2.0). You can pretty much reach your full potential after 1-2 months of playing, as by then you learn most basics of the game. Except commanding - this is something that you constantly either get better or worse at, depending on frequency and difficulty of your commanding. Don't get into commander until you are completely comfortable with the game.

In general there are a lot of players who will help you, because it's rewarding to help newbies reach their potential faster in order to make games more interesting. I think you'll find that empires depends a lot on the skill of individual players, although Worse Team != Lose Team, but that depends on the commander.

If you meet assholes who tell you to fuck off, just ask another player to help you out. Look for people who have the most rank points on the scoreboard, (Make sure they're not commanding at the time though), they're most likely the best choice for "teachers".

There are a couple of things that you might not know (hell, some of them I found out much later after playing the game):

Sticky Stun grenades from scouts are different from Sticky Grenades from Riflemen.
    Stuns do less damage, but overheat the enemy vehicle (useless against BioDiesel engine). This is useful against an enemy commander when you wish to launch a surprise attack and render him immobile.

RPG Missiles can be guided by holding down the mouse button after firing.

When prone, most of the weapons have almost no recoil, so if you've got time to set in, proning is a way to go.

Don't be scout. I know it's cool to be a "ninja in the base" (Ninja in this game has a different meaning), but it's fucking useless, and it's better to be useful engineer reviving your fallen mates.

What else:

Seismic grenades due damage to buildings only (Engineer grenades), although they do damage to infantry and vehicles too, it's too minimal, and there's a 99.9% chance that you won't kill an infantry or a vehicle with them in a long time.

Regarding engines:

3phase - fastest engine in the game (highest top speed)
    Fission Reactor - 2nd fastest engine, but has a higher acceleration than 3phase
    Gas Turbine - you know, this shit sucks so much, that nobody ever gets it
    BioDiesel - this is the "no matter how much I shoot, I can still move" engine. You can move despite being overheated, which is not possible for other engines. (This engine is great for using Nuclear Warheads -> Now known as HIT (or sHIT))
    Advanced Coolant Engine (Commonly abbreviated as ACE <- It's name not being the only reason). - this is also the "no matter how much I shoot, I can still move" engine... to an extent. This engine dissipates heat the quickest (makes your heat go down/decrease), but you can still overheat if you're an idiot. (Or if you got sHIT'd/Plasma'd).

Then there's the Standard Engine. You have to be careful in the beginning if you're going to use this abomination. Make sure you stay in the yellow zone of the heatbar, try not to go into red. This engine takes a long time to gain speed, so make sure you don't lose momentum. It's also a bitch to go uphill, so try to zigzag on high hills).

Regarding armor:

Plain - sucks. period. Make sure you know how to maneuver well, or don't bother.

Regenerative(usually paired with BioDiesel) - this armor regenerates itself over time, as long as at least a fraction of a plate is present on the side. It's decent for the start of the game, but quickly loses its "power hour" mid game. (Also, this armor is a mine eater, mines are weak against it, especially with heavy tanks)

Composite(usually paired with that shitty Gas Turbine engine) - this armor is the "strongest" - can survive 3 sticky grenades from a rifleman (who can carry maximum of 4), can drive over mines with fairly decent amount of armor remaining, it weighs only 10... uuh pounds, which is the lowest in the game (2nd lowest = 12), but it costs the most too. Don't lose tanks with this armor.

Reactive(usually paired with 3phase) - this armor is my favourite, you can organize excellent rushes with this and 3phase on NF Light Tanks (This combination is well known as SuperLites, (other engines and armor can form this too). This armor is the heaviest (a whooping 20... pounds per plate), but offers good protection against most projectiles (except mines and stickies and some other stuff)

Absorbent(paired with ACE) - shitty armor, good against rails, but it's cheap, so go for it if you've got time.

Reflective (usually paired with Fission Reactor) - this armor depends on how the shot is received (from projectile). If the angle of incidence is less then 45%, then the damage is reduced, if greater, then it stays default (even in default, it still protects well). This armor is a "good all around" (just like composite), weighs appropriately, and doesn't cost as much as composite. Although composite is better by a margin.

OK, enough about armors and engines.

Engineer - most useful: taking down lone buildings, walling in a vehicle (commander), building structures, medic (reviver)

A common strategy for a lone engineer to be useful is by taking out enemy structures: If you're going to do that, first take out any way of enemy retaliation (i.e. barracks). An enemy might be aware of your doings, and killspawn to take care of you, which is why you should have an MG turret prebuilt before you attempt to take down the barracks. Taking down a barracks is easy. Build an MG in front of you, place a wall it, place an ammo crate, and constantly open it and throw grenades near or in the building until it goes down.

On the battlefield, it's a good idea to have revive in your inventory, if 2 or more engineers are present, and the enemy is dominantly 1 type (dominantly infantry or dominantly armor), build a turret appropriate for the situation and upgrade it to LVL3 (MG vs Infantry, ML vs Armor) (LVL3 upgrade can be found in your skills, just like "Revive", and "Repair Upgrade")

If you see a screw thing above a vehicle (a metal clingy part that looks like a hexagon of gray colour), it means that person needs repairs, come up to him/her (a.k.a. daizy), and apply your engineer might onto the gentle chassis.

least useful - vehicles,

Even if you have 2 LVL3 turret MLs guarding you, and an enemy has a fairly light vehicle, you'll still have trouble winning against him, as skilled players can easily work around such inconveniences. Seismic grenades are useless.
    Your best bet is to wall the vehicle in while the driver isn't paying attention and deconstruct it manually, until the driver exits the vehicle and either kills you or you kill him, or decides to be a man of honor and die by his Communist Armor. (<- Note: that's translation for an idiot who doesn't know how to press E)

Rifleman - infantry, CQ vehicles, clusterfuck of infantry as well (Explosive Nades)

Self explanatory
    Rifleman can't do anything against buildings other than camp, so you better have an engineer near you if you want to cause a lotta problems.

Grenadier - vehicles, infantry, buildings

Scout - nothing

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i really dont get what people think is hard about commanding...

okay, the interface is weird and counter-logical sometimes, but once you know where the buttons are and that the radar is needed for research your pretty much good to go for a public game, because it all comes down to "build all building types at least once, build stuff where asked, make sure research never stops for long periods of times and try to focus for something your team wants, prevent the death of the command seat"

the rest will be taken care of by the squad leaders

in clan matches this does not count of course, but then again the niveau is to be expected of a higher level

17. Frontier

Frontier Member

yes i was still playing with a TF2 engi Mind set.. my turret will protect me.. ive been learnding:p

18. Apogee

Apogee Member

Some notes on vehicle tech. I figure the newbies oughta get this shit straight.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009