google chrome

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Avair, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Avair

Avair Member

http://www.google.com/chrome

it's missing file etc etc, tbh I never really used that anyway and it loads a lot faster than firefox, i love it o,o

2. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

And loads sites like cnet.com at a snails pace. Congrats google, you're idiots. You're competing with Firefox.

All google is trying to do is get their own vertical monopoly.

3. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

[​IMG]

left is chrome, right is firefox.

but: chrome is asskicking. it replaced firefox for casual browsing. firefox is still used for stumbleupon and the little sites that it doesn't render correctly.

4. thaile

thaile Member

It took a couple of sec for it to load cnet.com for me. Besides I doubt they are trying to compete with firefox, when they just signed another 30+ million dollar deal with them.

The way I read it, chrome been designed from the ground up to run web applications (IE all the google tools), flash and all the other fancy stuff that out there. I notice all their apps seems to run faster and even watching streaming movies are better.

Other things that I like about chrome is it solves the problem of all the firefox window crashing or freezing when one does. Each tab and window in chrome is suppose to be it's own process so what happens to one doesn't effect the others.

In any case it's still in beta stage, but it look really promising already.

PS chrome is an open source project, they want other browser to copy them so I'm not sure about the monopoly part.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  5. Chahk

Chahk Member

Until some 3rd party add-ons are out (Adblock is a must), Chrome is unusable for me. Also, some more customization options would be nice. Especially in the tab handling area.

6. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

I find chrome to be useful. I still use Firefox 3.0.1 for my main browsing, but if I don't have a browser open, and I need to do some quick searching, chrome is great. Nearly instant startup, good page loading speeds. My main complaint is that it doesn't seem to be capable of handling sound yet. I access things that do have audio, but nothing actually is audible. And Youtube, fucking Youtube owned and operated by google, isn't even compatible it seems. It plays the first 2 seconds of a video, and stops.

7. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

8. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

9. Deiform

Deiform Member

I'm sure that EULA only pissed off the minority. As if Google was really going to submit stolen content and try to sell it or use it some way that would put you in a bad light. And how many of the people who have been following the "Fuck the EULA!" crowd are actually artists?

That's what I thought. Unless your blog is a pay-per-view site or you sell your music on Itunes, I don't think it's a massive problem even if they didn't change it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  10. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Can you imagine the outcry if it were Microsoft doing the same thing?

11. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Yeah. People are just trying to find shit to incriminate Google. I don't care if Google spies on me. Enjoy your 2girls1cup.

12. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

tried it, but i cant get over the fact that is ugly.

change is bad, i fear change.

(i even have my firefox setup to look like classic windows IE)

13. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Been using it since the release and have to say they did a pretty damn good job. I like how a new tab defaults to showing your most visited pages. Though I've had some trouble with it opening large files (such as 100+ pdf files). It appears to lock up while downloading the file.

14. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Go try Opera. That page with visited pages is nothing new, but rather a slight tweak of what Opera does.

15. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

I love Chrome, but I'm not going to use it regularly until someone makes Adblock for it.

16. Lord_Doku

Lord_Doku Member

chrome has an huge leak in its security, henceforth im not gonna use this baby-disease filled pos.

17. Chahk

Chahk Member

Link, or it didn't happen.

18. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

There's tons of security flaws. One thats most notable is the buffer overflow one. Which is going to be fixed in the next build. There's also the carpet bombing bug, which is also in Safari, but is already fixed in the newest webkit build.

The great thing about open source is that these things are discovered immediately and is fixed just as fast.

19. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

20. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

rofl ah man sonata, you almost made me choke on my eggs when I read that, I was humored.