Good laptops?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cpugeek, Dec 9, 2007.

1. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Well, my laptop is starting to show wear and so I might be looking to get a new one. Of course, i would really love to find one that will run hl2 (and therefore Empires) as other games (not Crysis or anything though). My price limit is probably set around $1000 or so (maybe a little more). Anyone have any suggestions?

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

The IBM/Lenovo's have the quality behind them, but HP's pretty good, and I think Dell is making a good comeback (though it may not be complete)

I've heard bad things about Acer, but my brother has one and there have been no problems. A couple of years ago, Toshibas had all the problems. I'm not sure where they are now.

3. KILLX

KILLX Banned

KnightTemplar, Acer is among the best laptop manufactures in the world. Their desktops on the other hand, their purchase of Gateway speaks for that.

4. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

http://www.ibuypower.com/

Screw Alienware or any of those expensive brands, this is the place to go for gaming notebooks.

5. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Mac laptops are great, but Mac is a thorn in the eye because it's so unconfigurable. If you're looking for a great laptop with a pretty decent OS, get a Macbook with Vista. Better than OS X.

6. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Slith, how is he supposed to play Empires on a Mac? He would only end up installing Windows or using an emulator (which wouldnt be a very good idea for gaming since Windows has higher system requirements than Mac), and Mac's cost more than Windows laptops.

7. arklansman

arklansman Member

killx fails at reading

8. Slithzerikai

Macs have had an agreement with Microsoft for a while now (Microsoft has Macintosh in a stranglehold, that means), so most Mac PCs and Powerbooks come with the option to have Tiger OS X, and several (differing) Windows Vista versions.

9. KILLX

KILLX Banned

you fail at reading arklansman.

@ Slith that posted before I finished my post: that doesnt change the fact that its a MacBook. MacBooks are freaking expensive considering their specifications. No matter what OS, you still end up with a MacBook that probably wont run games very well.

10. Slithzerikai

I've been on one, they're fast, they can handle a huge load, the only real problem for gaming are integrated graphics- but since Empires seems to be mroe of a memoryload rather than a graphicsload, it will do perfectly for Empires, plus, it has a 6/8 hour battery. Which is pro-par with the average laptop.

11. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Ok, well heres a question: how many people are playing Empires on a laptop? If so, what kind of video card does your laptop have? I have an integrated ati in my laptop right now and it completely fails to get a playable framerate.

12. Goose

Goose Member

This is not a place to talk about your mother.

13. Slithzerikai

Aha... ha...

Didn't your mother jokes go out when people grew up? :D

14. Goose

Goose Member

Not when you walk into it like that

15. Slithzerikai

Like your mother's adult diapers.

16. Goose

Goose Member

You don't really walk into adult diapers. So that doesn't work too well.
    Sorry but you are made of fail.

17. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Wrong thread guys, this thread is for laptops, not for e-cocks.

18. Goose

Goose Member

Yes, On a side note CPUGeek. That site that was listed with the cheaper laptops, I was checking the specs, and the cheapest ones should be able to run most semi new games flawlessly. Sad to say it, some of those are better than my comp and I run TF2 with 60-70fps.

19. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Almost everything i've read about ibuypower computers is negative so far. It seems like while the components are good, everything else about about the computers are bad. That, and they have a tendency to break down.

20. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

ibuypower, cyberpower - they're all junk. My parents made the mistake of getting a desktop from cyberpower - packaged PERFECTLY but somehow when it arrived the two optical drives were kicked in, resting against the PSU. We returned it for a refund, they said they'd refund, never did. Discover card had to charge the money back. Never again will I touch them.

Gaming laptop...is an oxymoron. Only ones I'd touch would be Alienware, Falcon NW - the gaming companies...but its plain cheaper to just get a desktop...and buy a cheap laptop for everything else.