Glycen City: Balancing and VF

Discussion in 'Archive' started by The Buttery Lobster, Sep 2, 2007.

?

delete poll?

1. Agree

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Disagree

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

My only major complaint with Glycen city is the importance of the VF. Every other issue certainly is important but not nearly as problematic to the game play. (i LIKE sliding!!!) The fact of the matter is that if your team loses it's VF, you are almost certainly screwed. While this is OK if you're on the winning team, it creates an unplayable situation on the losing team, where it's near-impossible to win but the game still goes on for a good solid 15, 20 minutes (or however long the time is). When there is no chance of winning, there is no fun whatsoever, and the whole thing becomes like an NS match, where the game is decided in 5 minutes followed by 30 minutes of pain.

The fact of the matter is, the ultimate goal of the veteran players is to kill the VF, and after that, dominate the map and worry about flags. The VF is the primary goal, and the flags are secondary. So I summarize my complaints as such:

1. The primary focus of the map is the VF, not the flags.
    2. After one team ensures their own victory, the game continues on for a long, boring time.

There are many, MANY ways you could solve this issue. Here are a few:

Remove emphasis on the cap flags, thus making sure the focus was on the VF and not all that superfluous crap. Some thoughts along that vein:

1. Remove all the flags but the home base flag: That way, people would know right away that the only thing they should worry about is the VF. You aren't left with newbies dicking around in the center while the VF is getting killed and your team is guaranteed to lose. Spawnpoints would have to be tweaked heavily to make this work.

2. Remove the second flag for each side-- same logic as the first suggestion, but the center would make it easier to decide the victor in this situation. After all, chances are, if you lost your VF, you are almost certainly screwed, and this flag isn't even worth attempting to hold on to. All you worry about is protecting the last flag, because this one is either in no danger or as good as dead.

3. Remove the home base (first) flag-- The problem with the map is that it's VERY easy to cap the middle flags as the winning team, and actually kind of challenging to cap that last flag, even if the losing team doesn't have vehicles. The resulting situation is a desperate pathetic battle for the losing team that's boring and one-sided, yet wont end. Not to mention the spawnkilling... god, the spawnkilling. The only time I've seen people NOT spawnkill is when Krenzo himself threatened bans. I don't think we're gonna be able to get a dev to admin 24/7. Getting rid of this last flag takes care of that problem.

Protect the VF better:
    There are so many ways to do this it's not even funny. Re-spawn the VF, make it invincible, make it NEARLY invincible, put it out of harms way, put turrets in front of it, I could go on and on and on.

Directly link VF to victory:
    i.e. if this thing dies, the game ends. No mess, no fuss. Saves everyone the trouble of a useless game.

Punish the losing team but don't destroy them:
    in other words, if the VF takes enough damage, just shut it down for X time, then restore it. Or make it always repairable, even in death. Or respawn it after X time.

Last thought: lets keep the topic on overall game balance and the VF. I KNOW sliding is controversial. So start another thread about that somewhere else. ;)

edit: the poll question was biased and stupid. I could pose a better question, but solo says you cant change the question or something. Ergo, I asked him to delete the poll.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

lets see how the new version plays out when they add the NF infantry path and new ticket bleed.. i think if people just made it a habit to protect the VF at all costs then it would never die

getting the VF is very much like killing the CV.. it just needs the right protection

3. The Buttery Lobster

yes, this is true, but everyone knows that the CV must be protected. Only about 25% of the team in any game realizes the VF=victory.

I didn't know new paths were coming-- that's great, I'll reserve final judgment till then. HOWEVER, just analyzing the current glycen--

The problem that you implicitly acknowledge is that the victory of one team is assured when the other team's VF dies, yet the game continues for a looooooooong time. Hence the suggestions.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  4. DJ Die

DJ Die Member

what about making VF invincible until enemy team captures all flags except your home flag? that would make capturing flags necessary to win and would reward team for capturing flags

5. The Buttery Lobster

one of many many many possible solutions.

Personally, I think that if it's going to be invincible, just make it invincible with no conditional modifiers.

I'd rather not make it invincible as opposed to the last option on that huge list- punish but not destroy; like... when it takes enough damage it's just disabled for X time or it takes a HELL of a lot of HP to repair it.

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Flags are important as hell but VF is a *must have* if you want to do anything. Krenzo said that Warfle will change NF side of the map.

7. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Some of the best games I've had on glycen have been when the VF was destroyed.

8. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Totally Agree, the VF needs invulnerability or re-spawn(make it come back like the buildable walls/bridges).

9. DJ Die

DJ Die Member

ive never played glycen but if VF is so important it realy should be invincible

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I think a re-buildable VF with a penalty respawn time of ~5 minutes would be perfect.

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

10 minutes imo....

i mean, it sure as hell isn't easy to ninja the VF... many games it doesn't happen at all. people need to be rewarded.

12. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

It probably doesn't happen because you're not supposed to, i would put the VF inside some garage, then make it only have 50% health, so if the enemy does get to it, they can destroy it with more ease.

13. Silk

Silk Mapper

Making the vf's in my vehiclemap invulnerable with your help (and solokiller's) was simple enough to do and seems to be effective. It doesn't matter how much nukes you hit it with, it simply doesn't take damage.

The engy tool will still be able to unbuild it though (unless that's been changed in 1.08?). An apc filled with engies would probably be able to take it down.

14. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

if people dont know that they should protect the VF then they shouldnt need one

15. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I vote for a respawned VF after 5 minutes.

16. KILLX

KILLX Banned

unlike protecting a CV, you cant use the VF to make automated turrets and walls

17. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

thats what engys are for

18. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Nerf out of anger!

19. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

people who want any changes most the time are upset because of a loss

you dont hear baseball players complain about how many strikes they can get.. its because they play around how the game is already structured... i think people need to stop abusing the privilege to suggest changes..

it seems like every day there is a new stupid suggestion that everyone knows wont go anywhere.. and im not talking about this thread

quit shitting your stupid ideas all over this fourm!! lol

20. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I haven't played Empires in a while, but I remember it faintly