GL turret

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aurora, May 29, 2006.

1. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

Grenade launcher turret - naturally, it shoots grenades. Like the grenadier's GL. It would shoot pretty slowly, but it could predict where a moving target would go, and shoot a bit ahead. Another function of it would be such that if you used the voice commands to "spot" an enemy (adding an orange diamond at it), nearby GLs would fire at the target (as long as the target isn't out of range).

Perhaps the grenadier could build this? Just an idea that flew by my mind... Maybe the grenadier could place his GL on ground, and then have it aim at enemy targets automatically as long as the grenadier keeps using the voice commands to spot the enemies. Wouldn't it be great fun to have a remote controlled GL? You have it on some cliff. You're hiding in a bush, and you notice a squad of enemy engineers walking by... "Enemy infantry spotted!" *hits fire* *sees a grenade flying from the top of the cliff, going towards the engineers* *BOOM* of course it'd have to be refilled now and then, though.

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  2. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

I dont like that idea.

3. TheTerminator97

TheTerminator97 Member

there was a mortar turret in the game but krenzo said it would require some funny business with equations and whatnot.

btw first post lololozlzozlzz

4. Jn.

Jn. Member

mmmmmm nade spamming made easy.

5. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I can imagine. With bullets and rockets, it simply has to draw a line between itself and the target and fire away (with the rocket updating its vector every so often when the target moves). With a projectile that's affected by gravity... It would have to pinpoint the target, calculate the distance, calculate the angle at which to fire the mortar so that the shell lands at the target given the affect of gravity and the (what I assume is constant) velocity at which the shell is initially launched (which in virtually all cases would produce two different possible trajectories, which it would then have to decide between by tracing along their separate paths and checking for obstacles that would prematurely detonate the shell). And leading the shot, as well? Holy hell. It would have to go through all the aforementioned, then calculate the time it would take the shell to reach the target at its current location, grab the current vector of the target, calculate its position in the amount of time previously calculated, re-calculate the required trajectory for the new position, and even then, since targets moving at any decent speed would have the shell's time-to-target for the original calculation significantly different than the new trajectory, it would have to calculate the time for the NEW trajectory, plug THAT in again, and get the updated trajectory that would hopefully be accurate by the time it fired.

Now imagine fifteen or thirty of these turrets all doing that at once.

(I hope I didn't miss any part of the calculations required to have a mortar be accurate. Boy, would I look stupid!)

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

you coud make it fire upwards into the skybox, then spauning a shell above the target going down having a minimum of angle influence (not ging straigt down but simulating it came from an arch)

coud be nice if done properly
    coud become sloppy if done inproperly

its quite like the ML

7. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

what about a starburst one, that blows up in midair, and lots of little bombs kill all the little n00bs

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

ok, that woud be to strong

9. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

its a joke

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

it woud be cool thoug

but uber over powered

11. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

Too hard to code.

12. Carrigage

Carrigage Member

<Run_Animation\Starburst=1>
    <Run_Script\Killn00bs=1>

:P

13. Mydarbin

Mydarbin Member

they could fire cure weapons to kill off the mutants powers :P

14. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

starburst turrets=hax weapon

15. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I think blizzerd's idea is awesome! It would fire kind of slowly, + the time it takes for the shell to hit, but it would eliminate cover! So that way there is a way to eliminate those trouble areas with campers or people abusing things like hiding behind turrets! OMG this seems really cool! Heck, you could even fight cheaters if you built a 'sky-turret" in district, and when someone got on the roof you could pwn them from above!
    omg, anti-cheat turret = secks

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Yea... you "coud" use them for that

not there intention thoug,

more like "camper nukers" (as long as you keep moving they cant hit you)

17. Lock N' Load

Lock N' Load Member

There ya go! You'd have to move around alot or else the Turret would draw up a fireing soution to bounce it's nade off this, that, and them to gve you a nice little kiss :D

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i woud rather have a "mannable" turret thoug, somthing like the SL only ... player controlled

a bit more power and a bit more healt

and no npc controll