Give Engineers Refinery Placement Ability.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by aaaaaa50, Jun 28, 2009.

1. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Because I'm bad very horrible at starting new threads, I'll make my suggestion brief:

Give Engineers the ability to place Refineries at Rez Nodes. Example: An Engie goes up to a Rez Node and right clicks on his Engie iPod. The Engie gets the option to build a Rez Node. This option includes the price. (Very Important :p )

Commander's should still have the ability to place Refineries.

Pros:
    • Allows Refineries to go up easily and painlessly.
    • Gives Commanders one less thing to worry (much) about.

Cons:
    • Potential for (minor) griefing.

Aaaaaand...... that's it. Actually not a bad thread post! ^^
    Kinda suprising considering my long history of crappy threads. :p

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  2. Andariel

Andariel Member

As long as the commander can restrict this (to save money, why he should instead of getting some refs is damn rare anyways)

3. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

IMHO, refineries should be free, but it takes them about 15 seconds or so before they give out monies.

This idea works though, I s'pose.

4. o_O

o_O Member

^ that.

More time for the comm to boomtank around, but no dumb engis wasting res.

5. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

Do you mean something like this?

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i have been thinking about giving the engineer a portable resource refinery, something small as big as a turret that claims half of the resources on a node, and if the commander tries to build a normal resource refinery on top of it it replaces the small one

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I really don't see why refineries need to cost money or be placed by the comm.

Just have them work like map buildables, you see a ref semitransparent over a ref node, you run up and build it.

It doesn't need to cost money because there is no realistic point in time when you would not want another ref especially given the minute time they take to pay for themselves, and there is no reason why a free and important object which can only be placed in certain locations should require the commander to place it.

The commander only places buildings because infantry can't really be given the ability to construct bases on their own and we don't have an AI on hand which is smart enough to do it instead. If we don't have to worry about placement for this building then the commander doesn't need to be involved.

8. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

I don't care that this isn't a new suggestion because it should be adopted in some way.

The OP hit the nail on the head suggesting that engies should be able to engi-calc place a refnode.

Also they should be free, whether they have a startup time or not.

2.25 plz?

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yes plz, everyone made good points and there are different ways to include it

i no longer want the commander to be able to place refineries, give it to engineers entirely

10. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Of course, the comm CAN place refs for his scout to e-build.

However, engi-ref-placement that costs money is a no-no.

11. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

I agree!

With everything!

Especially the free ref part. I just put the "should show cost" part in because I didn't want people to, uh, waste money. :unsure:

:s

I didn't think that through, did I? :pathetic:

12. Aeryon

Aeryon Banned

Why should refineries be free?
    I say give both teams a low res flow for when they have no refineries.

13. o_O

o_O Member

why shouldn't they be free? The res flows would stay the same, the only difference would be having no reason for the comm to stop building refs to save for the 1st/2nd rax. Stuff like that involves builder engis, who already have a boring ass job, just sitting their waiting for refs so they can sit there and calculate it.

Waiting is boring for builders. Looking around the map and clicking refs everywhere is boring for the comm. This idea eliminates some of that.

14. Aeryon

Aeryon Banned

The dilema between ref or rax should stay.

15. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Against: 1
    Supporters: 2many2count

In any case, it doesn't change the res flow of the game at all.

16. Aeryon

Aeryon Banned

Fine. If the choice between a ref or a rax is too much already for your little brain then change it.
    But let me remind you that its a strategy game, a concept I know that you don't understand wolfie. So strategic dilemas should not be removed.
    And that little comment of yours, "doesn't change res flow", is absolutely retarded, making refs free is a massive gameplay change, it doesn't affect res flow, but affects many other things. And removes another part of commanding.

17. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Part of commanding? It's just as redundant as targets are! There's no strategy to placing a pre-placed building!

Fucking hell, THINK.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

then let refineries be free

19. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

^.~

IF this idea gets implemented, then that one has to as well. There is no way infantry can spend vehicles without comm control that is good.

20. o_O

o_O Member

There is no grand strategic dilemma, and no significant change to the early game. You always want the rax as soon as possible because you always want to not loose. But you want the ref too, so some poor engineer has to sit next to the ref point waiting until the rax is down, then waiting until you get 100 res. Its one more peice of busywork the comm has to do all the time, and its one more tiny thing that makes being engi boring. After the first minute 100 res makes so little difference that refs are free anyway.