Get a Life

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Avair, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Avair

Avair Member

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

What? You dont insult someone here, avair? Im very disappointed...

and yes the mod is one of those rare mods that might be good

3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Damn this mod, I almost crapped my pants where the Zombies came into the elevator.. (it was dark, and night).

Not having a way to protect yourself really makes things scarier, not like in F.E.A.R when it was something running against you, you could just hold the fire button..

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  4. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

i love horror games that don't suck, I'll give this a try.

5. LordDz

Tiny Spoiler:

How do I escape the AntGuard? Should I kill him?

6. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

epic mod, havent seen such a perfect atmosphere for ages

7. LordDz

kk, now I just need to find a way to runaway to..

8. The Buttery Lobster

Very briefly, this is a great mod, so far. (I'm up to the church-like level). The atmosphere is excellent. I found myself jumping at some particularly startling moments, and the sound is just great. Compare this to "They Hunger," the hl1 horror mod, and it just blows it out of the water. The other one is hl1, i know, but it's a decent point of reference. Likewise, I found myself yawning through Doom 3's predictability. Not so much the case here.

The mapping is also good. There's a real feel of continuity when you run into older areas that are now zombie-filled, bombed out ruins. It's not a retread of the old map, but it still feels like you're hitting up the same locale. (That's loop theory, right? Whatever, bounce or loop, they've got that cold.) There's some interesting game elements that keep things fresh, too, like when you protect the survivors.

The only thing I can really fault it on is story; it starts out great, but it lags into the usual horror plot and doesn't really reveal much about the story after the intro areas (Remember, I'm only halfway through. I could be wrong.). As a matter of fact, it seems to mirror the hl2 story, at least in terms of locations and overarching plot... right down to ravenholme.

But that's setting a pretty high bar, too, cause imo hl2 is, to paraphrase yahtzee, a beacon of game and story design in a sea of shit. As far as single player, independent developer mods go, the story and mapping are above average. And the atmosphere, like I said, is perfect.

I'm enjoying the mod a lot, and I usually get bored with these single player mods about halfway through.

9. The Buttery Lobster

it IS a bit unstable (but then again, beta 1.0, so... go figure) and the F-ING flashlight ticks me off... just like doom... the "no duct-tape on mars" issue rears it's ugly head. But at the VERY least you can shoot flares in this game, so it's not such a huge pain in the ass. Not NEARLY as big a pain in the ass. Plus the flare gun is cool.

10. LordDz

Well.. Actually I like the flashlight idéa. As it becomes harder to spot people, and it becomes scarier. ''What should I do, if I pick up ma shotgun, it all becomes dark''.

11. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

lawl i was to lazy to look into controls and thought there was no flashlight so i played with the flaregun only till the end xD

12. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Do flares set enemies on fire?

13. LordDz

Think the Zombies do, but you can atleast stop the Antlion charge due a bug with it (the antguard stops when fired upon by the Flare).

14. Sayton

Sayton Member

I liked it until the gman-people who spoke just like combine troops appeared in the game. After that it was just meh.

15. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Yeah I thought it was going to be a bit more original, but then when a regular joe subway worker picks up an assault rifle for probably the first time in his life (unless..oh! He just happens to be an ex Navy Seal!) and starts coolly gunning down dozens of professional killer it gets silly.

I mean Gordon Freeman at least started of running from headcrabs with a crowbar and worked up to RPG-wielding one-man army. This guys just a born gun-savant.

16. LordDz

Don't forget the slowmotion. That surley improves your aim! *cough*

17. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Gamewise this is pure crap. It starts as very interesting mod and very originally but then it just goes something like this:

OMG ZOMBIES OMG OMG OMG G-MAN GUYS ARE GONNA KILL ME OMG OMGOGMOGMMGOMGOGOM1!!!! A GUN WHEEE OGOMGOGMOGMGO SHOOT SHOOT KILL KILL KILL SHOOT KILL OMG BLACKOUT OMG ZOMBIES!"!!!!! MUTHFUCKING ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE SHOOT SHOOT SHOOOT KILL SHOOT KILL KILL KILL OMGOM GOMGOGMOGMGOMGM ZOMBIES1!!! KIILLL KILL KILL KILL SHOOTT OMG G-MEN MOGM OMGOGMGOMGMO SHOOT KILL!!!!! RUN AROUND OMG GMOGMOGM SHOOOT KILL!!!

Basically it is that. You run around like headless chicken killing truck loads of professional killers and even more zombies.

Just a bad zombie killing mod with very irritating errors. For example you go in a room from the different direction where the developers thought you would be coming. You check the room. It is empty and clear. You go to next room, nothing there. You go back. OMG THE WHOLE FUCKING ROOM IS FILLED WITH ENEMIES NOW!!! Also there are just annoying sudden death spots through which you have to go and try to somehow stay alive.

Also it crashes shit loads even though they tell a reason for the crashes on their site and also the possible fix.

PS.

I found a secret. ;P

18. LordDz

Half-Life 1 and 2 *cough*
    And if you hate that your skill is good, then just shoot on the ground/floor...

NOW GIVE ME THE SECRET! :eek:

19. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

The level design I found pretty bad too. I mean I looks great, but it uses a lot of <shudder> invisible walls and I found myself having to wander around a lot trying every door to figure out where to go next.

Right at the start when I'm trying to get to work it took a few minutes to figure out that I had to go down a back alley, climb a fire escape, and drop down through the roof of a building to get to.....the next street. WTF? He takes that route to work everyday? And the actual streets -- which would be the logical route to take -- are blocked with damn invisible forcefields. Talk about counterintuitive!

I don't want to dis it too much, they obviously put a lot of work in but I really wanted to like it, it seemed interesting, but really pissed me off in places.

20. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

HLs make it well. This doesn't. This is more like "more dots, more dots, more dots" from that one flash video. This mod just throws all the time more and more enemies on you and you don't have any place where to take a deep breathe and after that continue. HL has good tempo on it. It has calm moments and it has strong moments. This is just fight after fight after fight...

Oh yeah one thing. Headshot = shot to a toe. You have to shoot AT LEAST every guy 4 times in the head before they die...

And here's your secret:

http://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testln4.jpg

Partly.

Last edited: May 6, 2008