General advice

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Androc, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Androc

Androc Member

In this thread, just put down any sort of knowledge you've picked up that doesn't quite deserve its own thread. I'll start out with some class tips.

Rifleman
    -Your first skill should ALWAYS be accuracy upgrade. After that, speed or ammo upgrade, depending on how confident you are of your survivability. The rifleman skills can be safely ignored, with the possible exception of Dig In, which I have little experience with.
    -Explosive grenades are rarely very useful. Take sticky bombs instead for destroying the odd vehicle or turret.
    -See grenadier for advice on the heavy pistols. As a rifleman, they should only be an issue if you somehow run out of ammo.
    -When using any weapon, USE THE IRONSIGHTS! I cannot possibly stress how much your accuracy is improved. Only do a blind spray in situations where you don't have time to sight your target.
    -If you're going to be running, engaging enemies at close range, and just generally being a rifleman, you should use the assault rifle.
    -If you are going to be engaging enemies at normal range, but won't be moving much, use the BE heavy rifle.
    -If you are going to be engaging enemies at normal range and are VERY SURE of your aim, use the NF heavy rifle.
    -If you're going to be digging in and defending from oncoming enemies, use the machine gun.

Engineer
    -Unless you are specifically going out to be a combat medic, take repair upgrade as your first skill. If you are, take revive. For your second skill, take whichever one you don't already have. Obviously, there are situations where you might want turret upgrade instead, but you have to use your judgement.
    -In a majority of cases, you're best off taking the SMG 1.
    -The SMGs have no iron sights, but you can produce a fairly accurate spray by crouching.

Grenadier
    -Your first upgrade should be improved ammo, no questions. You're the only class with a low natural ammo count and a generally high survival time. After that, go nuts.
    -When firing the mortar, move your mouse directly to the left or right (depends on faction, they reload from different sides) so you can spot where your shell lands without changing your angle.
    -Never underestimate the heavy pistol. The BE pistol 2 is accurate over a fairly long range, and can do a one-hit headshot. It's best used when cornered or when engaging another grenadier at longe range. The NF dual-barreled has a horrendous spread, but is deadly in close quarters. Remember: the spread can be reduced by crouching. NF grenadiers might want to take improved accuracy as their second skill.
    -Deploy mines in groups. A single mine will do very little damage.
    -To defuse mines, you must have the defusal skill, crouch over them, and hold 'e'.
    -Artillery feedback is only going to be useful when driving an artillery tank. Instead, take armor detection. It's helpful to know where you need to hit, and when you're facing something that you won't be able to beat.

Scout
    (divided into two sections based on weaponry)
    Sniper
    -Goes without saying, but: Always fire prone, always wait until you have full fatigue.
    -Accuracy upgrade decreases scope drift, improved stamina lets you fire more often. Don't find yourself without them.
    -You are revealed whenever you fire, and the sniper rifle does have bullet tracers. Hide is only marginally useful.
    -When firing on a moving target, move your crosshairs within their path of travel and click once they enter it.
    -Killing a single, un-upgraded infantry takes one head shot or two body shots. An improved-health infantry takes three body shots, but they're fairly rare.
    -Engaging another sniper is tricky. If they're staring straight at you, fire ASAP. If they're facing somewhere else, line up a headshot. Hide behind cover while your stamina recharges.
    Infiltrator
    -Due to the advanced requirements of this role, it is recommended that you have AT LEAST two skills before attempting.
    -Hide. You have to avoid detection, you have to take out turrets. You are getting NOTHING done without this skill.
    -Speed upgrade. Not required, but heavily recommended. (note: If you have speed upgrade, stamina upgrade isn't worth bothering with. Save it for sniping.)
    -Regardless of which SMG you choose, remember that they are plenty accurate at range when you're prone.
    -Enhanced senses is a near-requirement for long-term base ghosting. Remember to zoom in the minimap with ] so you can see what's going on.

2. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

some good stuff there, but i disagree with a lot.

why take accuracy upgrade as rifleman when you already have a gun that can kill any class almost instantly. take speed upgrade, it's way more useful- you duck quicker, you can get places faster, you are harder to hit when dodging, you can chase people down... I always recommend speed upgrade.

also, DON'T use the ironsights unless you absolutely need to. crouching and firing is a lot faster and is less likely to get you killed in my experience.

engineer:

take SMG 2 in any situation that you will enguage the enemy at distances less than the length of a barracks. i.e, most places on crossroads, distict, slaughtered and for all base assaults.

scout:

make the first shot count. squeeze the mouse button, don't push it. move your crosshair with their head is far better practice than sitting the crosshair still and waiting for them to run past it.

3. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

yes totally agree with that i never ever use ironsights you can snipe without, if you have the accuracy upgrade.

If you want to go "the way of the sticky" take the Ammo upgrade

4. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

I usually go Dig in -> Damage Increase -> Speed upgrade -> Health upgrade/ammo

5. taikuodo

taikuodo Member

speed upgrade first means you can sprint and sticky early APC's and light tanks, get behind a wall faster, etc etc.

6. Androc

Androc Member

Man, what are you guys on about? The thing with the iron sights, they don't have the sort of box-spread that regular usage gives you. When you're looking down the barrel, you are looking at EXACTLY what you will hit. With the amount of recoil reduction improved accuracy gives you, you have a very precise, long-range stream o' bullets.

Obviously, I'm not saying you should use the sights if somebody jumps around a corner at you. But if you're the one initiating, by all means, yes.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It's worth noting that with the NF AR at least, using accuracy upgrade and crouching produces an accurate spray for about 1 second without using ironsights, which is useful if you're in mid/close quarters and don't want to be surprised by your enemy.

8. Sayton

Sayton Member

I disagree.

The way I usually pick my skills as a rifleman is:
    -ammo (4 sticky bombs, 300 bullets)
    -health or speed
    -accuracy (where I usually also switch to the heavier rifle)
    -dig in

Of course it depends on the map as well, on Urban Chaos and Glycen I usually pick speed in the beginning and charge their APC with stickies.

I absolutely agree with you on this one, the same goes for the normal pistol when you're an engineer with smg2.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  9. Androc

Androc Member

Actually, it's better if you don't agree with me. Differing perspectives make for better advice overall, so hey, whatever.

A minor fact to remember if you're going to be an infiltrator: melee attacks don't break hide. Improved melee CAN be put to good use, but it still isn't easy.

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I dont really know much about being a gren but I would say dont put mines near each other untill about 10 minutes into the map..

Sometimes a tank will hit 1 mine die and then its corpse will set off 2 more of your mines