Gaming PC - any advice ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JustGoFly, Apr 12, 2013.

1. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Slight refinement:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227433

Upto GTX-680, Down $100, but I have no clue about the differences:

New choice: iBUYPOWER (Powered by ASUS Motherboard) Gamer Chimera4S NE765SLC Desktop PC (ASUS P8Z77 series Motherboard) Intel Core i7 3770k(3.50GHz) 16GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Old Choice: iBUYPOWER (Powered by ASUS Motherboard) Gamer Chimera4S NE755SLC Desktop PC (ASUS P9X79 series Motherboard) Intel Core i7 3820(3.60GHz) 16GB DDR3 1TB HDD+ 120GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

I guess the P9X79 is a better motherboard ?
    Intel Core i7 3770k(3.5GHz) vs i7 3820(3.60GHz)

2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I am always willing to spend a little extra for quality service, it saves the stress and headache if something goes wrong.

3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Don't worry about the motherboard. If it had the connectivity features you need, then it'll be fine.

4. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

the difference between those two is the CPU Socket :D

i7 3820 uses FCLGA 2011
    i7 3770k uses FCLGA 1155

The downside with the 3820 build is that the USB 3.0 connectors have to run over an extra bridge chip, intel still has some problems there, but therefore the board supports up to 64 gigs of ram (the other does only 32).
    The i7 3820 build has a SSD, the other does not.

whatever, I was bored again ^^

That system you chose first ~ $1,799.99 VS. Me throwing the same parts together (including stuff where I had to guess [PSU, KB + mouse, CASE]) ~ $1,963

As you can see, I used that european site again, because it takes the lowest listed prices it can find, and later just converted the price to USD.

TLDR; Take the iBUYPOWER i7 3820 build and if that's shit, exchange it for the other and if that's even worse then we talk again..

PS: I don't build systems for the average DAU in my freetime, I just provide other nerds with all the background info they missed out on. I tend to scare the fuck out of DAUs, because I can't just listen to their bullshit PC problems without telling them the 100 steps I would have to do to get their shit back on track. Being simply right is a hard knock live :/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  5. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

BTW: Should i wait for Haswell to get a new desktop CPU? Normally i would wait if a newer CPU generation is so close, but i have heard that Haswell isn't going to do much for desktop.

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Can someone elaborate on the necessity of quality PSUs? Not downplaying PSUs or anything just wondering why some cost like $50 and others are like $9001.

7. ImSpartacus

Most of those are serious overkill. You will not make up the price differences with the increased efficiency unless you are at load 24/7.

Read some reviews and hear about which cheap ones are acceptable and which are not. Rosewill actually makes some respectable mid-range PSUs. Antec is an old standby for quality. etc.

It's actually going to be a much bigger desktop upgrade than one would expect. 10-20% for CPU-intensive workloads.

But the dirty little secret is that many users do not have the workloads to really notice those differences. For most users, funneling money into an SSD is a much more noticeable upgrade than going from a modern dual-core IvB to a quad-core IvB.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  8. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I use a super-flower gold 90+ 700watts, it's not about the brand names. Some of the vamous names are just rebrandings of NECs or other not so well known good brands, there are lists where you can check what is actually what.

Just too tired right now.

9. ImSpartacus

See, that's why you have to read reviews. Who would've thought that Rosewill-branded PSUs wouldn't be half bad?

Oh and Super-Flower is a pretty big PSU maker. Their situation is just the opposite of Rosewill's. Instead of buying someone else's PSU and selling it under their brand, they make PSUs and sell them to companies. Except occasionally, they also sell stuff under their own brand.

Why the hell are we looking at workstation builds when you are only gaming? This is a serious misallocation of resources.

And don't let some boutique build a mismatched system for you. They will give you something that looks cute on paper, but will need replaced/upgraded in three years to be worth a damn. But by then, you've already spent your budget on the initial machine! You're a big boy, you can build your own rig.

First off, we need to know what resolution you game at and what games you play. Until I hear about that, I'll assume 1080p and moderately modern games.

When I build a system, I put the money where it matters and I don't over-engineer shit just so you can brag to your friends.

Code:
    [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1269123]Intel 3220
    ASUS H61M-A/USB3
    CORSAIR XMS 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333[/url]
    [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004]Sapphire 7850 1GB[/url]
    [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147186]Samsung 250GB 840[/url]
    [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163182]Silverstone Temjin TJ08B-E Case[/url]
    [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153173]Thermaltake SMART 650W PSU[/url]

[​IMG]

We're coming in at under $800 after rebates and coupons and stuff. You also get Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. You'll need to pick out a disk drive and OS, but that's braindead simple.

In a year, you can throw in a data hard drive (or a cheap 500GB SSD with 128Gbit NAND!) and a 4GB stick of RAM. Another year after that, you can replace the GPU. A year after that, you should replace the CPU-mobo-RAM (DDR4 will be out by then). Moving forward, you should keep your GPU upgrades in a two year cadence. The PSU and case should keep you going for a long time.

Building a PC isn't about getting some overpriced PoS and keeping it that way for five years until you buy the next overpriced PoS. It's about picking out a machine that has a clear upgrade path and making sure that you have the cash to make those upgrades.

10. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah Vulkanis, I already linked the website for that now, it's a bit more up to date.

12. ‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder

‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder Member

I just built my pc about a month ago. I bought the components and put it all together with no experience. For 1500$ I got a corsair case(forgot the model but its nice) z77 sAbertooth mobo. I5 3570k(they say i5 is better for gaming but I don't know for sure) I over clocked to 4.5 ghz. 16gb corsair vengence ram. Crucial 512gb ssd and 1tb hdd. Oh and a GTX660ti. It runs anything on max settings so far with 45+ fps. O I bought a corsair h80i water cooler too so I could overclock. I'd say the PnP is overpriced.

13. REX

REX Member

Trick it out like a mad man bitches love that shit!

[​IMG]

14. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

I'd say the questions here are a good start.

2013 is so far seems to be a relatively slow year for GPUs. We have the Oland (mobile/OEM only so far I think) and Bonaire chips from AMD and the GK208 (mobile only so far) and GK110 ($999 hooray) chips from NVIDIA, when in any other year, we would have most or all of the entire refresh lines from both companies (at least twice as many chips) by now.

It's too early to extrapolate, but if this stuff happens again in the future, one could be waiting 2 years for only a minor upgrade.

15. ImSpartacus

Yeah, I suppose this year would be a bad time to start a two year cadence. Depending on the necessary resolution/catalog, I still think that $150 7850 + games could be an admirable workhorse until something much better comes out, be it one or two years from now. "Investing" in a higher end GPU would be a bad idea unless it's immediately necessary.

16. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Jesus christ that looks like a fish tank. Where do you find cases like that anyway?

18. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

[​IMG]

(I actually had two sets similar to this when I was a kid.)

19. REX

REX Member

I made it when I was in high school during the height of my LAN days to one up everyone else.
    Drew up the components in 3dsmax to figure out the dimensions. Flattened it out in auto cad and had it made on a Vipros 358 Queen CNC plate stamper and powder coated.
    People often mistake it for a terrarium and look at me like im a wizard concluding that it must be the fastest computer ever.

20. ‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder

‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder Member

So this is what the fastest computer ever looks like! You must be a Wizard.