Fix Hitboxes on Turrets.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Vader6, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vader6

Vader6 Member

I know this is an outrageous request, but I believe that the hitboxes on every turret in Empires are inherently broken. Specifically that the four legs will stop bullets far above and below their actual model. It is a well known fact that people use them to defend themselves while they construct the turrets, but it is my belief that it should not be so. If people want to be safe while they build turrets, they should do it when the enemy is not there, or be more careful about where they are placed. Or even, heaven forbid, have team mates protect them while they build.

In Short, the hitboxes on the legs holding the turret up should better reflect the actual model's geometry. It will not harm gameplay, moreso it will probably create new tactics and strategies to replace the ones that focus on abusing its current hitbox.

PROS
    Not a coding-heavy fix
    You could actually shoot people who hide behind turrets.
    Encourages defensive use of turrets.

CONS
    Some people won't like not being able to hide behind turrets.

2. Chahk

Chahk Member

Another Con (and possibly the reason it is this way to begin with) is the extra FPS hit from multiple hitboxes that would be required to fix this, as opposed to current 2 or 3.

3. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

You can already shoot people who are hiding behind turrets, run around the turret, or jump on top of it.
    It wouldn't affect fps so much, but it would increase network traffic, causing more lag.

This has been posted before, I suggest searching for the thread.

4. Demented

Demented Member

The NF MG's legs don't give as much cover as the BE MG's legs.
    (Chalk that up on my list of ways that NF get the shaft, in the hypothetical section.)

It's really just snipers who have a problem with the turret hitboxes. Since you're so far away and restricted to one angle of shooting, the best shot you're likely to get is the engineer's foot poking out the side while he's prone. Makes one feel frustrated when an engineer's hiding behind a turret you should quite plainly be able to shoot through, knowing that everyone else can just run up and kill things the right way.

The hitboxes on the broken tanks in District are slightly wonky too.

5. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

The Turret kinda grows into the hitbox once it's upgraded. :p

6. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Actually, it isn't turret's hitbox which is incorrect. It is the collision mesh.

And it is just one big cube within which the turret is fit.

7. Goose

Goose Member

All aboard the fail whale.

8. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Same difference, attack the cube it causes damage, I'm happy, snipers aren't, it's a fine day. :p

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You could just change the model slightly to add in metal plates between the legs.

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Although that thread is technically not a suggestion, I'm going to lock this one as it has been discussed before.
    If you want to improve the collision model, you could do it so yourself and submit it to the devs, other than that it is probably low on the list of things to do. Either way, continue the discussion in said thread and maybe it will be noticed by the devs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.