Finish the game!

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Degenatron, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Degenatron

Degenatron Member

"Don't kill the Comm or the Barracks."

That phrase is being used more and more, and I don't like it. Why?

It drives players away. No-one likes to lose, but losing is tolerable. What is intollerable is having lost 20 minutes ago and having a bunch of jerks on the other team dragging the round out. That's crap and everyone here KNOWS it. It hurts the server it happens on by encouraging players to drop out, and it hurts the MOD as a whole by leaving a bad taste in new player's mouths. If the losing team is making a strong last stand, that's one thing - but that's no excuse for not going for the kill. Players on the losing team will KNOW if they aren't dead due to their own efforts, or if they are bing toyed with.

If I hadn't had the good fortune to have my first 2 or 3 rounds be played as the game was intended, then I wouldn't have stayed with the MOD. But the last 10 rounds I've played have ALL ended with a prolonged "beat down" of the losing team. This is NOT a game design flaw. This is NOT something the devs can fix.

This is for the community to fix. If you are here on this site, and you are reading these forums, then you obviously care more for this MOD than many others. So do the right thing for the mod and the community and finish the game quickly and decisively every time.

D-Gen

2. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

it's more like the defending team prolonging games by building 3 layers of fully built walls and a loads of lvl 3 turrets.

3. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

People actually say that? I never noticed. Those are usually the first things I aim for when I'm attacking a base.

4. Goose

Goose Member

Why not make a sudden death option for a team if the lose all but 1 or 2 refineries for like 3 minutes?

5. flatmush

flatmush Member

Or give the commander the option to start a surrender vote, if more than 75% of the voting team members wish to surrender then the game could end.

6. petemyster

petemyster Member

perhaps you don't understand the circumstances of the fending off. If the losing team is losing by 20 or 30 tickets they can pull it off the spamming turrets and grenediers, its not unheard of, i myself have played one of those games. Fight to the last man i say!

7. KILLX

KILLX Banned

pete, he is referring to teams that intentionally dont end it. e.g. destroying everything but a barracks and the CV, and mowing down all infantry that leave barracks.

8. Degenatron

Degenatron Member

Well, the losing team is suppose to fight to the last. There is a point of deminishing returns on turret farms. At some point, you need to switch from "hold-out" to "break-out" tactics if you want to come back.

However, if the losing team IS spamming turrets, there's an easy fix for that: Nukes. Or a dedicated push to break down defenses on one side and knock down the barracks, and then the comm.

I'm not complaining about turtling defense - there's always a way to handle that. It's the "we're not done beating on you before we finish you," that's getting really old.

Yes, Pope. I'm seeing that more often than not. I'd love to know what your usual server is since they apparently like to play the game right there. Where I've been seeing the problem is on Steamfreinds.com and Mittoes (where I usually play).

Last night I reported to the Comm that I had spotted the enemy comm and then "spotted it". I was given a direct order to NOT attack it. I refused the order and notified my team that I intended to finish the game.

Two nights ago was the incident which was the straw that broke the camels back for me. We were playing Streets of Rage. NF made a nice opening move to set up on the bridge right away. They were sucessful and we were on the defensive for the rest of the game.

We'd lost all structures except what was in our original base. I broken out to the west with a team mate. We pushed all the way down to west side of the map with no resistance. We made it to the the NF's original base, and tore down all of their buildings, still with no resistance (one guy was spawning there before we killed the barracks).

When I asked for a relocation base, I realized we had no comm. I asked for someone to go comm and drop us some buildings - nothing. So I suicided, grabbed the comm and made a run for it. I made it all of the way there (lost 2 tanks on the way), I dropped a res node and jumped out, we started building - they caught us and killed us.

So, there was our comm - defensless and deep behind their lines with 2 tanks looking right at it. Here's the kicker - not only did they NOT destroy it, they walled it in, put a turret farm around it, left a tank to guard it, and then they continued to milk kills out of our base for another 15 minutes.

WTF? Seriously. That's lame beyond any meassure and completely uncalled for. It's the sort of behavior that will prevent new players from staying.

D-Gen

9. -UWE- Advisor

-UWE- Advisor Member

heh, funny story. me, and these 2 guys (me commander LOL) made a plan to Ninja! their team, (2.0) as we was brenodi, and as our VF and NEARLY our barracks with litterly 573163 res *holy shit, still, not enough to beat my highest Resources in an MP game, thatll be 927512 XD* and as we was about to lose, my 2 guys sneaked off as 1 engi and grenadier (yeah, well obviously your going to need an Engineer with a Grenadier lol) and we begged for teh mercy, we had like 187 tickets v their 100 (lol) tickets, i said 'let the Barracks and me live, and we'll let you kill us seeing as we prob lost by now anyways' they didnt even suspect, and all their team was firing all at us trying to get a kill LOL, and they had no commander rofl, ninja...BOOM. we win. hehe. funniest yet. this was on SoF XD

aah, yes, i found a way into the SoF secret room :D

10. Slamz

Slamz Member

It would be nice to have a "forfeit" vote, as I do agree it's highly irritating to be unable to spawn and the enemy team simply refuses to end it, leading to half the players on your team quitting so that a 40 player server is lucky to be a 30 player server by the time the next match starts. Having them farm out your last barracks with machinegun fire, refusing to use cannons on it is just asinine.

I also really hate it when everyone is dead EXCEPT the commander who is dedicated to driving all over the f'ing map to draw the game out for another 5-10 minutes until the enemy team can finally lock him down and finish him off.

I prefer to go down with the ship. I won't give up until the last barracks is dead but there's no point in playing hide-and-go-seek just to drag it out, because that will turn a 40 player server into a 20 player server before the next match starts and I damn sure won't vote for that commander again.

In fact, maybe this process can be automated...
    If you're dead for 20 seconds and do not have a means to spawn yourself, you will automatically count as 1 "forfeit" vote. If the number of votes is greater than or equal to 70% of the team size (e.g., 7 members of a 10 member team are dead for 20+ seconds and can't spawn) then the match ends and the other team is declared victor.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  11. FishThePirate

FishThePirate Member

Well, you could recycle the barracks and then all commit ritual suicide if it's that big a problem.

12. Bleeding Internet

Bleeding Internet Member

You could switch teams and kill the CV yourself...

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Some people want it to last longer some people complain that it ends too quick.. Its hard to find a medium when the fate of the game is in the hands of the player

14. Degenatron

Degenatron Member

Recycling the barracks or suiciding the comm could get you accused of griefing.

You can't switch teams when losing team players start bailing out.

There's no reason to find a medium. Short games are a result of bad teamwork on one side or excellent team work on the other. Long games are the result of evenly matched teams. There's nothing wrong with either of those.

The problem comes when the end-game lasts longer than it needs to. I keep seeing people pointing to the losing team and saying they should be the ones to "pull the plug", but the reality is that the winning team has the power to end it and should.

People have suggested "Dev Solutions". This is one of those things devs aren't suppose to have to "fix".

The solution is simple: When you are winning, and someone say "Let's NOT finish them", simply relpy "That's bull$#!t, I'm gonna end this game as soon as I can," and do just that. There's no way for anyone on your team to legitimately stop you from winning the game. If they try to, that makes them griefers.

D-Gen

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

a forfeit button was discussed and shot down.... not sure how it'll do this time. where is that thread again?

16. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

You surrender by driving the CV into the enemy VF. The game ends shortly after.

And the thing I dont like is the early rushes that end the game in minutes. I like a long, drawn out, epic game, not a short one where a bunch of nubs APCrush the enemy CV and 9mine it to hell before I have a chance to spawn.

17. Degenatron

Degenatron Member

I'm right there with you Superlagg, but at the same time I recognize tha it IS a valid tactic and a few basic CYA precautions will swing the game right back as the other team over extends, gets owned, and then has to start back from scratch with nothing but a VF and no res. That's what I really love about this game: the shear depth in strategy and tactics it provides.

Whe they go to 1/16 scale and the maps get MASSIVE, it think the APC rush will go the way of the Dodo.

D-Gen

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  18. KILLX

KILLX Banned

big issues you guys seem to be ignoring: how the hell do you get to the CV when your last building is a barracks and your getting killed when you leave?

19. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

You dont.

20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

you could tell your engineers to stop repairing it and let it die