Finish Empires!

Discussion in 'General' started by aaaaaa50, Jan 3, 2010.

1. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Why couldn't the mod team at the very least have the decency to release the new version of Empires before declaring their intention to end the mod? At the very least, they could have stated that 2.25 will be released in the blog post, right? But no, the first thing they do is state how they are developing two new mods and how much better those mods will be, even though both of them may take years to even release if they ever do.

This sentence right here is perfectly placed for an insult.

But really, curse words are cheap. I want to say, rather, that I am very disappointed that the current developers of this mod have given up. Make no mistake, creating a new mod (instead of continuing to work on this one) is not the easier choice. Giving up is the easier choice. To not even finish up Empires before moving on is a great shame. I appreciate that Kane plans on releasing the 2.25 version, but the fact is, he working alone while the rest of the developers are falling over themselves promising how great their new mods will be. I have no doubt that the new projects can exceed Empires. But lacking the maturity and patience to finish what you have started is pathetic. The new mods will take months to start up at the very least. What is all that time compared to spending a few more weeks to "finish up?" Is a little decency to the hundreds of Empires players too much to ask? And yes, hundreds of players who don't ever post on these forums hope for a new release just like any of us.

Empires Developers, you let yourself and everyone who enjoys Empires down by this abrupt end. If you must end Empires development, than please take the time to end it on a high note. I challenge you to prove that you deserve our support for your new projects. If Empires must end, then do not simply abandon it. If you really care about Empires and the community, then have the integrity to finish what you have started. Finish Empires!

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

cw empires

Let's just all forget about how they left us high and dry and sit around waiting for the "Semi-official Empires successor" to come around.

Sound good?

3. Kane

Kane Member

You know 2.25 is gonna be released, right?

4. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

The Neo-axis engine mod is far beyond drawing board stages, its in mid-alpha practically...

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

shit, I didn't.. I guess I haven't been reading enough of these threads. Last I saw you were saying that it wasn't going to be.

6. Omneh

Omneh Member

I would like to point out that the Neoaxis project has nothing to do with the current developers.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i would like to point out that IF we make next version somehow named 2.240001 there is a "theoretical" chance of still having a total of 9999 official releases

this would basically guarantee empires mod development for at least a year or 20, after that we could go on adding alphabetical to make something like 2.249999 A or whatever, thats up to our children to fix

8. REX

REX Member

Ever since Krenzo stopped I havent seen much progress even leaving for about a year.

I dont have much skillz in programming and so on, but I can still sense that he had major skillz that could make things happen during the 1,8 testing period with the constant updates.
    I doubt the remains of this will move much without any super skilled people onboard, same for the other projects if they dont have any uber programmers.

9. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

So true. This is exactly why ColdTrap is bound to fail. Especially with devs like Kane who went from "let's rewrite the whole Empires source code" to "i don't have any time for 2.25" to "let's make a new game on a new engine" in less than six months.
    This is why i have hope for the NeoAxis project. :p

10. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Yay! :D

11. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

12. Lewie2

Lewie2 Member

+1
    agreed

13. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Because porting OB was a giant clusterfuck. Game was completly broken. Tanks couldn't go up slight inclines and in first port over to OB switching to engineer calc crashed the server. It looks like nothing was done because 1/2 of empires was rewritten.

tl;dr porting to OB killed empires

14. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

As much as it's been frustrating, let's not totally own the devs. They did provide us with improvements and bug fixes to a great game for us... for free. for that we owe them our thanks.

15. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

My own issues with the devs aside, taking a codebase you don't know well (or at all) and being thrown into it and owning it from top to bottom isn't easy. It's one thing to get eased in, have others around you who know it already and can help you understand things...it's another to walk into the new codebase and have to learn it fast and do massive changes.

I was supposed to help out with the dev work, but never contributed anything since I already spend too much time at work...writing or reading code.

16. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

It did suck to go to OB. I thought I did most of the work when I turned the code over, but there were still a lot of broken things that even I didn't want to deal with. I don't even know if it was worth it.

17. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

I always find it astonishing for people to post things like this. Like its their obligation to entertain you.

Join the dev team if you care so much; you probably haven't cause you don't know shit or don't care enough, either one puts you in a sorry spot for speaking like this.

18. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Unfortunately it is if they want a playerbase.

19. Deiform

Deiform Member

Finnish Empires? Yes please.

20. Demented

Demented Member

I wholly support this.