Field Promotions?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Lee, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Lee

Lee Member

Hi, I'm somewhat new here, but I've been playing Empires for a while, and I think I'm addicted to it... but anyway, I digress.

The reason for this thread is to discuss field promotions for the commander. I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I wanted to bring it up, just in case.

When I play as commander, I notice that some troops stick out, and others don't. I was thinking that you could promote certain squad leaders and give them perks like extra health or ammo, or stuff that they can use to improve their squad. Nothing too big, just something so that a Commander can show his/her appreciation for those people that actually do pull their weight and follow orders, instead of screwing around.

Of course, there is also room for possible abuses, but I hope that with feedback, we can perfect this Idea, and possibly implement it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. Kalos

Kalos Member

favoritism? (comm upgrades all his friends)

overpowering? (comm upgrades EVERYONE)

etc:? i think this is cool, but things can go wrong.

3. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

I could see this going very wrong, because some players on Empires Mod know what they're doing, if you give them an extra boost things can go wrong. For example, one time I used two squad instant heals on myself to destroy an entire frontline.
    Now if you had the commander give people boosts, then well, things could go to shit fast.

4. Lumi

Lumi Member

The ability to instantly give 1, and only 1 person the rank of General would be cool. Basically, if you know somebody is really good, you can make them your General who cannot be changed.

5. communism

communism poof

Squad heals are meant to keep the squad leader alive pretty much, spam them if your about to die.

I kind of like this idea, but some players wouldn't need a boost. A dig in rifleman with hp boost + commander hp boost would be awful

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Turn commander earnt rank points, into something like squad points, that the commander can spend on squad heals and low-powered but useful things like that. No revives, no arties etc.

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

make the go towards a beacon ability that spawns your whole team next to the com vehicle.

8. communism

communism poof

Maybe give the commander a recon like ability for 2 squad points? It gives targets like the commander does now in a certain area for a set period of time. But it can only be used in one spot at a time

9. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

But what will be the result of this? Usefull players normally knows that they are usefull. So we will push good players even more?

10. OuNin

OuNin Member

Commander should have receive points which he can use to up the rank of a player he selects. It doesn't directly help the player, but it gives the player another slot and the capacity to perform better. Commander should get these points more frequently depending on lower resource flow, lower vehicle count, and frequency of squads earning squad points.

This will help losing teams by creating ubermenschen.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Anything which directly boosts the power of an individual player only should be chosen either by the player himself, or be assigned automatically by the game.

Example: Skills buff you and you choose them yourself, but they are assigned by the game too because points unlock more of them, anyone who gets points gets skills and choosing a skill is a tradeoff because you can't choose all the skills at once.

So, if players are not being rewarded for doing things you think are conducive to good gameplay, make the game reward them for it, give them points for it is an obvious solution.

12. Lee

Lee Member

I was thinking more along the line of buffs for the squad as a whole, not just one person. Like promoting a squad so that the leader could select the perk possibly?

I was thinking maybe Extra Ammo, or Squad Regen, if that helps.

13. Fabrizio

Fabrizio Banned

50% of the time your squad leader is a complete retard who doesn't read text chat or have sounds on.

So no perks or squad revives for your squad.

14. Lee

Lee Member

Just a question. Do we have Artillery strikes? I mean those that don't come from grenadiers or Artillery tanks.
    I was thinking that maybe squad leaders could request artillery that the Commander would sanction, like an orbital bombardment, or maybe a new building to send missiles to strike the target that squad leaders paint.

I apologize if I'm going off on a tangent here...

15. OuNin

OuNin Member

Squad artillery that grenadiers can use (not mortar), we have.

16. communism

communism poof

I want to say that krenzo or another higher up person has stated that commanders will never get skills to damage things/people

correct me if I'm wrong though

17. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

18. arklansman

arklansman Member

That was just an artillery marker I believe. If you notice, it's the BF42 engine. :p

19. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I know, but I thought ya could arty :p
    But, some commander abilitys would be nice, mostly non-damaging ones please. (parachuted ammocrates etc).