Fed up with Sieges

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Private Sandbag, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Yes, it's a valid tactic. get men close enough to their base, then just spam turrets around it and back it all up with a couple of arty's.

but it's not fun! not even if you're attacking. sitting sniping people comming out of the spawn, or just managing the turrets isn't rewarding.

I've played games where the only vehicles we ever built were APC's and Jeeps. those were fun. our grenadiers starting attaking the enemy Boom tank, and as it ran away we all jumped into an APC, chased it into a corner and... played with it.

it was a great match. even the other team said they had fun, and we only needed about 6 turrets. turrets which wern't just pounding the enemy buildings.
    -------------------------------
    moral: turret seiges are dull and should be eliminated if possible.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

you might not notice it but I try to avod turretspam and arty's. I have played lots of games as comm where i kept it to 5 turrets max (not next to each other, spread out) on one defence line and went for a proper med tank.

But most of those games end up in nf turretspamming their base with lev3 because they are very low on res (as in they only have 1 refinery) and start using them offensive in which i can only react by getting arty and dropping more turrets just as backup, Im not the person building them all and I usually dont acre if half get lost because they are ridiculously cheap.

And arty yeh, its valid yet boring, but if you dont get em the enemy gets them.

But this definitly needs to be changed

Both tactics are not needed at all but when the other team uses them and your team isnt too good, or even if they are good, you just cant go without turret spam and arty

I have won so many games where medium tanks decided the game, you actually dont need to arty their base, you just tire them out on the field, try to get them out of their base by keeping the pressure on different sides, as much sides as possible and at the worst moments. Endurance is what makes you win the battle and lets infantry finish them off with a tank or 2 and an ARMORY.

Still you need arty's to get out of the worst scenario and stalemates

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

yes.

the main problem is that on smaller games, especially where there are 10 people or less there is not enough man power to defend all of the fronts, and this is where arty comes in. when you have less man power, you have possibly only 1 (if you're lucky) grenedier on the team, and this person is extreamly spread out across the map. Comms start using turrets as players on small maps, using them to defend everything and anything, and making players' chief role to maintain these.

what solutions could there be?
    - change the artillary; make it less of a tank
    ..................deploys to fire
    ..................slower
    -change the turrets?
    ..................more damaging but expensive, so you need less and it is less of a pain to destroy them.

anything else?

4. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I agree; but it depends more on map size/player size. If you were playing duststorm with like 12 people per team, they're usually isn't much turret use because a smart player can take infantry out. But if it's duststorm with 6 on each team, it's nearly impossible to defend from ninjas, take res nodes, and attack the other base with just your team. Usually the turrets become used to attack the base, while the people go around capturing areas.

5. FalconX

FalconX Developer

I still think a direct limit on comm turret placement is the way to go. That would force them to be used defensively.

6. Jkun

Jkun Ban Hammer Manor Ruler

I generally avoid turret and artillery spam, but more often than not, we seem to lose for just that reason. Makes me an unpopular commander. >;S

7. TheTerminator97

TheTerminator97 Member

no, it would be better for them to be balanced. not a limit.

8. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

more effective and more expensive turrets would go far to limit turret spam, but it wouldn't limit the need for arty. I wish aircraft were in, so we could see how things would balance out. Of course, then people might complain of bomberspam and stuff like that.

9. Namron

Namron Member

Add turret factory and have that as a requirement for turrets to be active and increased cost would solve much.

10. Petko

Petko Member

I think the no. 1 problem is the messed up balance and pricing with the tanks sience 1.02 (i liked 1.01 much more)
    Things i would change to make it better:
    - Fix the tank armor pricing bug (the double armor price on the calculator)
    - Make the armor prices even a bit cheaper (not so cheap as in 1.01 but a balance between that and the current prices, for example reactive 25, composite 20, regenerative 15 etc.)
    - set the exp bullets mg back to the state it was in 1.01 because im sure it was nerfed
    - Change turret prices to something like MG - 200, ML - 250
    - Dont touch the stats of the MG turret, but buff the ML in the way that as it gets upgraded Mk1-Mk2-Mk3 it gets longer range to get a lock and shot, also maybe it could be a good idea that prices differ for turret levels (like Mk1 - 200, Mk2 250, Mk3 300) .. and the comm can build also older types if newers are reseached
    - Increase the artys chassis price from the current 600 credits to 1000 credits

I hope these changes can make the game more fun

11. FalconX

FalconX Developer

My turret limit idea was to limit comm placed turrets to a certain radius around certain structures, the number of turrets per structure dependant on that structure. Turrets are defensive units.

12. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Maybe have them grow? The longer you wait, the more turrets you get! \0/

You will then have to pay the owner of the map some fines because you've poisoned his ground.

[​IMG]

13. Chahk

Chahk Member

I'd go as far as to make the Artillery chassis cost 2,000 credits and the HE shell should be another 1,000. With a decent armor, I'd like to see how many of them any team will crunch out at a time even on emp_Money.

It's all about balance, folks. Bumping up Arty's price by a factor of 5 should make it comparable to its power without the need to nerf its functionality.

14. jambo

jambo Member

lol - a real turret farm , not one of those little pot planters we see on district