"failed after 4 retries"

Discussion in 'General' started by pickjaoe, May 31, 2006.

1. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

My brothers and me like to play counter stike source and Empires mod together but most of the time it give me the 'failed after 4 retries' error. Sometimes we can play together on CS:S but we have never gotten to play gotten to play together on Empires. If you think its the server not letting more than 1 person from an ip on at a time your wrong because we play on the same servers every time and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. So does anybody know why this is and how I can fix it?

2. Geogriffith

Geogriffith Master Debater and Conflict Resolutionist

Steampowered.com Support Topic: Configuring a router for multiple clients
    Specifically, you're interested in anything that says "clientport" in it.

What's going on is the game server is sending packets to your router/dsl modem/cable modem with a certain port number attached to it. Think of ports as being like frequencies of light. Each one is supposed to be unique for an application.

The problem is, that both of your computers are trying to use the same port at the same time. To the game server, it thinks it is only getting packets of data from only one ip, your router. But if you're both playing, there's packets coming from two computers. It can't make sense of that, so you're automatically kicked. It'd be like trying to set up two identical TVs in the same room, and wondering why one remote turns them both on.

So change your cfg files to use different ports, and you shouldn't have anymore problems.

3. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

Thanks I tried searching the steam support thing but it always gave me things that didnt even have the same words. Also tried their forums but no luck either.

And im still wondering why sometimes it would let me on. Like right after i posted this if finally let me play on the same server as my brother.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006