Explosives knocking over people / artillery

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aurora, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

If a player is damaged by an explosion that is powerful enough and within a sufficient range to cause around 70< damage, the player should get thrown away from the explosion and play an animation where he spins around like hell, with his view locked to his eyes (or otherwise spinning or rumbling), and be unable to use weapons. Once he lands, he should play an animation where he stands up. Then he could keep going again. If possible, high explosion damage should also knock people out of jeeps, if there is enough space around them.

Artillery shells should knock over people from a long range, but the radius of their maximum damage should be smaller than it is now. I think this would make artillery less of a tool of massacre, and more of an area-cleaning machine, as some people would be lucky enough to survive and then flee the area. It'd also be more enjoyable to get hit by artillery shells. :D Besides that, explosion-knockovers would add to the atmosphere, making explosions feel more real, and be fun as hell, obviously.

Lastly, it would give explosion affection a middle-level. Often I find myself annoyed in situations in which some guy almost dies by an explosion, but ZOMG! He gets only 99% damage, and he keeps on running and shoots me in the face or something. Maybe I hit him in the face with a grenadelauncher or an RPG, but unluckily for me, he had full health. If only that explosion had been an inch closer, he would immediately have collapsed and died right there!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  2. arklansman

arklansman Member

This would be really good when prone is implemented, so it can knock the poor folks flat.

3. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

sounds like an awesome idea, but do we really need another way arty can bug us? i like the idea of lowering arty radius, but i think that you should only have this animation if its close to a direct hit...wait...you said that >.<

4. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I like it :D

And think of this as a tool that can save your life; arty shelling the same spot persumable a rax; you walk outside to get hit by the blastwave, and you fly away from the area that is being shelled; sure youve been hit and are now tumbling along; but you are alive and the arty is not as annoying as before where you get hit once your like "WTF WHERE IS IT COMING FROM" And while you are running back and forth; the second shell lands you and kills you; with this, if the arty WANTS to kill you; it will have no trouble, but atleast you will survive an arty blast

5. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

It wouldn't even have to knock them over, just a simple knock-back would be cool.

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

i thought it already does that?

7. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

It just makes your ears ring... Knockback is only for bullet fire :p as funny as that is a tank shell to the face isnt going to knock you back :D

8. Aurora

Would you rather always die by artillery shells, or have some luck and just get blasted around instead?

9. jambo

jambo Member

lol, this reminds me of the ragdoll effect in district when a grenade blows a dead guy into the air spinning and flipping into painfull positions. then lands to do it all again :D

10. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I suggest that each and every one of you take a deep breath and spend some time thinking over network lag and the things it will do to this sort of things. :)

11. Aurora

Nothing much more than a bouncing grenade. Rather less, since players shouldn't keep bouncing after they hit the ground, unlike grenades. Oh and, there will also be aircraft. And lots of optimization. I'd predict the lag affection wouldn't be worth an an ant's fart.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  12. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

And how big would this particular ant be?

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

players should be knocked into prone. the first few seconds of this prone, they wouldn't be able to fire, as they would be getting their selves recuperated.

also, i would love it if explosions knocked vehicles about a bit more. I want to see the jeep that just went over the mine do a backflip! seriously!

14. arklansman

arklansman Member

15. Aurora

Now, if you could only get it to land on a palmtree and stay on it

16. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Where is that cartoon Dee made...

17. Aurora

Additional idea: hitting infantry at high speeds with vehicles should knock them over. :D

18. Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music)

Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music) Member

I wonder how the knocking over/falling/flying away stuff should be handled?
    Combat and camera (eye position) wise.

But I guess it would be awesome.

19. Aurora

It should be in the same position and angle as the head. It's a lot cooler to get knocked over and have your vision spin all around.

20. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

well, in 1.08 it's said that it'll be able to kill people, but i don't know how this is done. what if it's low speed?

i hope that at really low speeds it just nudges you, and at moderate speeds it can knock you without killing you.