Explorer got lost.

Discussion in 'General' started by BloodRaven, Oct 7, 2011.

1. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

Has anybody been having trouble with internet explorer as of late? like more then usual. I use Firefox but still use explorer every now and then and its been crashing like nuts. not just on my home PC but at my school too. :eek: :confused:

2. Empty

Empty Member

lol noob

3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

explorer? r u serius? trolololo.

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

proud ie user

5. Krazer

Krazer Member

Internet Explorer?
    [​IMG]

6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

IE isn't that bad. After IE8, it became pretty usable. IE9 is a completely modern (albeit lightweight) browser.

And besides, MS has never really given a shit about IE on the desktop. It's not like MS makes more money when people use IE. They just needed a browser to bundle with Windows (although the IE experience has helped on the mobile front with WP7).

But seriously, if you're an Empires player, you should be able to nevigate Chrome or Firefox. If you're really looking for a snappy browser, go for Opera.

7. -MEG- hobbes

-MEG- hobbes Member

word to opera and wp7

8. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Firefox 9.0 ftw ;P

9. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

opera 11.51 is better than the internet and I guess that's what is causing my opera installs to have problems with windows domains and shitty html5/webGL (even though opera lead the way for invention of those [bad designed] "standards")

just watch this totally IE10 releated video

10. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Tricking people into believing that you are using IE and making them rage about it.

8/10 troll

11. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

[​IMG] muhahahar

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

the fuck am I supposed to see in that pic?

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I used Firefox for years. Eventually, they introduced this new update cycle which updated the entire version every 3 months, ruining all my plugins every time. So I looked for a new browser. I tried both Chrome and Opera, and whilst Opera has some nice features, Chrome still beats it on raw speed. So I went with Chrome. I've been pretty happy with that since.

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

unrelated but somewhat fitting. firefox users might want to try "prospector - less chrome". imo one of the best plugins for FF there is (apart from ABP & alike)

it auto-hides the menu, address and bookmark bars and shows them if you mouse-over the title bar of the window. in total, depending on your screen size you get up to 2cms of vertical screen space. for me an absolute must on netbooks for example.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/

comparison screenshot (i know a bit pointless on this computer, but still 2cm more v-space ...
    closed: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/331067/less-chrome-hd.jpg
    open: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/331067/less-chrome-hd-open.jpg

15. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

i've been thinking of switching to chrome firefox seems to be eating more and more ram

16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

the new firefox uses MUCH less ram due to them spending a whole patch mostly on shrinking memory footprint. Check it out... run an older firefox then the new one.

17. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Since installing Lynx for the first time in forever I actually use it alot more than I thought I would. Sometimes its nice to see the web without being constantly blinded by flash.

I wish I could do my online banking and stuff like that in it. I wish more sites had text only versions if only for netbook/mobile browsing.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

you know nothing

Internet explorer always was a big deal to microsoft, they built it just to crush a rivalling company

[​IMG]

19. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Opera is actually quite a bit faster.

However, all modern browsers are quick enough that we are fighting over fractions of a second.

I use Chrome for it's Google Account support and it's plenty fast for me.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  20. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Well, I'm just talking in regard to my own experience. Opera seemed to hang a bit sometimes. It had some aspects I liked, and others I don't.

My main issue has always been private browsing. I use it for going on slightly unscrupulous websites, because I'm paranoid about someone having to use my computer if it's the only option in this house, which it is on rare occasions. I like my history to be clean. Firefox is both good and bad here. The bad part is, I have to switch to private mode, I can't run it alongside regular mode. But on the other side, if I click links from someone else, on those occasions when, against my better judgement, I click on someone's 4chan link, it does at least open in the private browser. In Chrome, you have separate private and non-private windows, but no matter what link you click, it opens in non-private, so I have to get into the habbit of copypasting. Opera uses private tabs, which got hard to keep track of very quickly.

There was also the way firefox reacted to new posts on the empires forums. In Firefox, I open threads, click new posts again, and the old threads disappear from the list (i.e. ones I looked at). In Opera and Chrome, they just stop being bold, and won't delist or add new ones to the list until I restart the browser.

So realistically, you're right, browsers are that much faster these days we're talking about fractions of a second. It's considerably less noticeable since I got an SSD. But Chrome is pretty quick for me, and whilst Opera was nice, and I could happily use it again, I'm done with Firefox. They still constantly break the plugins since they changed the release cycle to match Chrome, and that was the point of Firefox, the incredible amount of plugins. Once they're unreliable, as they are now, Firefox loses its main selling point.