Example Gren/Rofl Balance

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by RoboTek, Sep 22, 2009.

1. SnowDrakE

SnowDrakE Member

Well yeah, one thing I will acknowledge is that it is comparatively easy to build new walls. Engineers can instantly place walls with no cooldown in whatever length they need, which kind of defeats the purpose of most anti-wall weapons.

You can never ever destroy as fast as new walls can get built.

So in this respect... you could up the damage for mortars against walls, yes.

2. Demented

Demented Member

However, low walls can be assaulted by infantry, which allows you to kill the defenders and let your engineers decon the remaining walls in relative safety.

Step 1: Kill built walls.
    Step 2: Kill engineer while he places unbuilt walls.
    Step 3: Get engineer to destroy unbuilt walls. (They're kind of iffy about taking damage.)
    Step 4: ...
    Step 5: Win!

3. SnowDrakE

SnowDrakE Member

It wouldn't be such a big problem if walls would take splash damage properly. I recall someone explaining that if walls aren't built up to a certain height, they are impervious to splash damage, because the base of the model is too far inside the ground. Or something to that extent.

If the mortar splash could clear unbuilt walls without needing a direct shell hit, it would already be much better.

4. communism

communism poof

I would hate you D:

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

only pussies rely on easy drop off shots for kills. NIGGA I KILL PEOPLE ON HILLS NOT FROM EM!

STEP YO GAME UP BIATCH

6. Sirex

Sirex Member

Yeah upping the mortar splash and small nerf to damage and decrease mortar reload time would make it a weapon actually capable of shelling an enemy position. Also upping the range of the weapon with the same speed but faster reload would also help to give support fire where it is needed.

With these changes one grenadier with ammo upgrade could act as the squads indirect fire in infantry engagments, bombarding enemy in cover or bombarding behind so the enemy can't bring up new soldiers at a constant rate.

In my fantasty world we could have indirect fire teams consisting maybe of two grenadiers and a ammobox in cover with artillery feedback, and then the rest of the squad carry out their comms orders (attack/defend/build/harass) and scouts which could then use their binoculars to give arty targets. And then the grens could start to shell incoming enemies without even seing them becouse they could be behind a rock with artillery feedback. Also they could perform area denial missions, or if the team is to attack on that front they could move up and lay prebombardment with the high splash.

Also as a result the enemy would actaully have to think about counters, own grenadiers with the single goal of counter bombardment would be viable, and then either kill the first greandiers or force them to move. But ofcourese you wouldn't need grens to kill grens with morat, just fast attacking in a proffesional manner you could carry out the assault before the grens could fire adjust, or you know, bring a tank :p.

PS. Where is the hate? This thread don't feel very Empires mod, it has reached over two pages and there are no camps that mix arguemnts with personal insults in every post? What the fuck has happend to the Empires community :(?!?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

You can't shoot another mowtar shell until the first one has hit. So quicker reload won't mean anything when you make it shoot farther.

8. Sirex

Sirex Member

And god himself has imposed a restraint in the game code that this can't be changed?
    Also, why just harrass one small suggestion that i mean that wasn't even a heavy supporting part of my argument? Why not deal with the whole text.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  9. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I just pointed out an issue that you would of addressed if you actually played the class.. Read the whole thread before you start suggesting things people already shot down in this thread.

No ones gonna sit there and shoot shells that don't kill people to just keep them behind cover for the rest of the team. They want to have a chance to kill, your idea is like taking the fun of building but with out the hassle of gaining points.

10. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

elegantly said

11. zenarion

zenarion Member

Why is the gamecode limiting mortarspam like that? Seems real bad to me. Not even grenades are limited like this.

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I don't remember exactly.. Maybe it had something to do with him being able to shoot off a shell and change weapons and go back with out the reload animation.. I dunno for sure.