Entity/Mapping suggestion:Emp_point_radar

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Grantrithor, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

My idea is that empires could have a point entity that is capturable like a flag, but instead of giving resources and/or doing whatever the mapper wanted it to (spawn infantry, ammo boxes), this one emits a detection field much like the radar that is able to detect infantry and vehicles. Or on the other hand mappers can make it into a radar jammer(with an entity flag) that doesn't allow the enemy to use cameras/radars to detect you in its range.

Pros:
    -anti detection.
    -able to detect enemy units.
    -only one of those are possible per entity.

Cons:
    -mappers could make 2 entitys for the capturable area that do both things(so an attempt at fighting the team with the capturable would suck ass).
    -too much entitys around the map could lag the game?

Alternatives:
    -The detection/undetection radius of the entitys do not allow each other to intersect, if they do intersect, the compiler chooses the first one made.
    -A set limit on how much entitys can exist in a map.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I approve of this idea.

3. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

I like this idea a lot, might have to stop picking on Grantrithor so much if he keeps making good suggestions.

The cons of this suggestion really aren't cons as they are balanced out by the rules of common sense.

The only thing that I think is needed would be a "Jamming Field" indicator on the minimap somehow as to not confuse players wondering why their radar/camera isn't working.

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Yeah the cons aren't so amazing, I just put them there so people probably wouldn't be like "oh there ARE problems with this". And for a visual element of cameras being jammed and stuff the camera icon on the radar could be in a different colour or theres a line sperating the icon in half.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  5. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

You can make it spawn a radar slightly under the displacements when the flag is captured and destroy it when the flag is contested using some basic logic, which could kinda give you the same effect as this.
    It can be used for research too though, and it's a bit of a workaround to get it to work right, so something formal like this might be better.

6. Empty

Empty Member

If it gets added it'd be nice to see inputs for changing the radius and maybe a flag for whether the commander can select it and get the radar circle thing.

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Well for the first idea it's up to the mapper himself to choose what would represent the radar, like a tower or something and the effect it does when it gets contested and stuff. He could probably make the radar smoke at the top or something when it is being contested.

That idea about it being used for research sounds like a good idea, if radars on a certain map were unbuildable, then you would have to capture the only radar in a map or something to research crap.

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Can you also make it parentable to a player?

like a bomb in CS:S that is also a camera.

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Well you could parent it to a physics object that someone can hold. But since it is a point entity it would just be compiled then become static.

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

lies.

I would actually settle for the camera / radar of the engy to be settable by the emp_info_params and then let the restriction settings be set to individual buildings the engy can drop instead of jumbling turrets / cameras / radar / ammo crates together. That has always annoyed me.

That should be top priority. Every engineer object that can be dropped should be separate restriction settings.

11. zenarion

zenarion Member

Make it captureable, like them little turrets in Starcraft2.
    If you have people inside it, it will give a radar effect. Can be combined with your run-of-the-mill bunker.

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Shameless bump. This hasn't been sent to rejected or under consideration yet.

13. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Keep praying and I'm sure Jesus will implement this idea in the next version.

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I guess I'll just have to reach out and touch faith.

15. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

You just can't expect this suggestion to really have any momentum right now. This is more of a backburner suggestion, that takes a backseat to more important ailments the mod is facing. Feature suggestions (of any kind) at the moment are just going to have to wait until development picks up in pace again, and until there is a high enough demand for something such as this. It sounds neat, but it might not see itself in a map for quite some time anyway.

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Brutos, get to it man.

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Yo this was a good idea, implement it please candles or beerdude. Trickster thought it was nice and that was before he was a dev, and when he hated my guts.

post 8001.

18. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

How in the fuck did you make it to 8000 posts? Isn't that trickster/empty territory?

19. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Like wtf I am in top 10 post spammers?

20. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

This surprises you?