Enjoying the Game, but

Discussion in 'General' started by pixelized, Jul 22, 2006.

1. pixelized

pixelized Member

So this past week I've been commanding less and really enjoying the game fundamentals, blowing up people with mines, picking off engineers with the still overpowered scout rifle. Driving around in circles and mowing guys down with the nf light tank. All in all good times. However, when the lag on the official server reaches critical mass you might as well not use vehicles.

In the comm car you don't see the battlefield lag as it is on the field. Why is the official server at like 32 players when it clearly has trouble with 26? Wouldn't it make more sense to have it running smoothly since it's your featured server.

I believe there is a direct correlation between walls and server lag. Also, could you roll out the new district map early if it's semi ready. I'll take anything that's better than the one we've got now.

What is the status on gauntlet? We need all the diverse maps we can get.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

The official used to be something like 26 or 28 before it crashed but seems to have been changed back to 32 =/

It's supposed to be getting an upgrade soon but that's been said for a while now u.u

3. sgman

sgman Member

i have already made a couple of posts about this, and nothing was ever changed. i dought it will be this time.

4. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The official server does suck, and it completely freezes and needs a reboot weekly. The company I'm renting it from doesn't have any AMD chips. Can anyone recommend a better place to rent from?

5. Ganks

Ganks Banned

maybe but it has a good location. my ping is totally ace on official.

6. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Just wait untill 10 people with a ping of 200+ join... then it wont matter if your ping is godlike >.<...

7. pixelized

pixelized Member

I strongly reccommend softlayer. Probably the best provider I have ever used. It's in texas so we should get a better centralized ping at least for US guys.

Ask me about the promo codes for free ram and setup though. Not a commercial interest jsut want to save you money.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  8. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Oh, yes please! If it's in Texas, I will have the best connection!!! MUAHAHAHAHAAA! Plus, if my team is losing, I can go and just bEaT the sErVeR to a PuLp !

9. Carrigage

Carrigage Member

get a server located in sweden :D

10. Al Fire 101

Al Fire 101 Member

Or the midwest??? Ohh, Please in the midwest!

11. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Heck get a server in Canada :D

12. Al Fire 101

Al Fire 101 Member

No, never in Canada, the midwest is so much better (helps keep everything centered across America and is close to the Canadian border) Midwest FTW!

13. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

nah, texas. i get the best ping in that austin based server, too bad ive only seen ppl on it twice.

14. Darg

Darg Member

They do say Ireland is the hub between Europe and America!! We have server farms! All those baby servers growing in our fields.. we make sure to water and feed them every day!

15. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Well I'm close to Toronto and Texas CSS servers usually hit 100 ping for me (Just fun games) So I don't touch them.

I'm sure everyone wants a server in their backyard, but I think US Midwest would be best for N, America in general, but a good server is way more important than location, so make sure you get a good setup.

16. Miss Mary

Miss Mary Member

or the uk

17. GrimReaperX

GrimReaperX Member

Edit: Nvm...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I live in the UK, so I would say get a UK one, but even I know that they're totally shit.

19. TrItOn

TrItOn Member

New Official Server?

I suggest donations for the Offical Empires Server #1. I would be happy to donate whatever parts, time, trouble-shooting I can to the project......

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/9300/mbk9tyan4882morelp5.jpg

Very pricey but for the future would end the server complaints for about 3-4years.
    This with 4x 800 series AMD CPU's( or lower for startup cost), 32GB DDR400 memory(or lower for startup cost), 750GB HARDDISK, SATA 1.O interface. Dual Channel Gigabit LAN This machine can handle whatever mods our team wants to throw at it.
    Roughly<>$3,000.00 donations base startup, (4x)1.8GHz, AMD Dual-Core Opteron 265 Italy 1000MHz HT Socket 940 processors 2MB L2 cache, 8GB memory DDR400, 250GB 7200Rpm Sata 1.0 harddisk, integrated graphics suck but there are several other combos.....700W PS, DVD/CD rewriter....you get the idea!
    Very!!!!!!expandable. Never rent!
    I know shoot me, you asked.
    You shouldn't even have asked about the hardware LOL my specialty!
    But if your interested let me know?:)
    Also, just found 2x cpu mobo with Sli video, 16Gb ram... better graphics than the other board. About same $ for start up.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  20. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

If the game doesn't support multi-threading or multi-cores, why all the fuss about having 8 cores? Why not have 1 or 2 really solid cores and really quality ram and HD?

I must say I don't know much about this, but could multiple cores run multiple servers off the same mobo? If not, I don't see why we would look into spending all that money.