Engineer's Tool energy suggestion

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Kitsun, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Kitsun

Kitsun Member

Ya kno that little number used for building? and when it gets to 0 building stops?

Get rid of it, it has no purpose.

In game development terms its a fun meter - when it is full the player is having fun, when its empty the player isn't having fun, there are a lot of meters like this - but they are necessary to the gameplay (health and stamina, for example).

Will players be that much more over-powered by not having the fun meter on the Engineers tool? Perhaps, but it surely could be balanced easily.

Its also just silly, like a jeep running out of fuel before it runs over someone.

The health meter is there to serve as a goal.
    The stamina meter is to prevent spamming and making sprinting a viable gameplay mechanic.
    Why is the EngiTool(tm) fun meter there?

2. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

I personally would want the engy tool to never "run out" of energy. Its a little frusterating. I dont foresee it being overpowered if it never ran out.

3. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

This was suggested before, but think about the effects, you'd end up with people deconstructing every single building with no fear, and base building becomes 1 person's task.

4. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

As it should be. If one person can build the base, it means more people can fight.

Very few people find it fun to stand around and look at a building for 5 minutes.

As for deconning, its far more effective to place an ammo crate and through unlimited nades into the building untill its down.

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

it's because it encorages people to work together in groups instead of just running about rambo. if you build together, then none of you have to get to zero. it's just a little feature to encorage teamwork.

also, don't forget to use repair upgrade. it's vitally important and should (almost) always be your first skill as an engineer.

6. Kitsun

Kitsun Member

Deconning is only useful against turrents (jumping on top of them and decon), as mentioned by Grizzly, nade spam is much more effective, and deconning vehicles is mostly useless.

Having a meter on the tool does not encourage teamwork, getting a build speed bonus 2 Engys = 2.5X construct speed will encourage teamwork.

It shouldn't be about discouraging soloing but promoting co-operation.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  7. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

We also have to consider the scope of the game. If this was a real life battle, there would be thousands of people that can help. However we are limited in people, so therefor fewer people should be needed to build things.

More people building means less people capturing points, or attacking. I heard that later on bots will be implemented as builders. Why not have one engineer have the capability to build a base right now so we can get as much players into the game as possible?

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Building stuff is what makes the mod have an RTS part, otherwise it's a 5 minute job for the commander.

9. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

What about revive? If you build your lvl 3 turret; your entire team dies around you, you revive them instantly...

Now... If that is not something you frown upon?

The "Ammo" makes you think "Do I want to keep enough ammo to revive my teamates?", "Should I Ninjaneer their barracks and hide somewhere nice? Or spam nades?"

Most thing is the revive thing... A while ago; engineers used to be revived with full calculator ammo, what ensued is you gun down 1 engineer; he revives another before he dies; and this went on for ever...

10. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

Don't forget decon is the only thing effective against walls.

If the tool never ran out of energy, then make building much slower.

11. Kitsun

Kitsun Member

The current Engy - Wall interaction promotes the use of wall spamming. As a player can easily remove 2 or so wall segments, and for a single-layered wall this is all thats needed to get a tank through.

12. Chahk

Chahk Member

Why not include ammo in that list? Same comparison applies as well - you have fun while you have ammo, and you stop having fun when it runs out. Just like every other ammo type, the Engie's tool must have a limit in order to be balanced.

Think of a scenario when a tank is attacking a structure while an Engineer with Repair Upgrade is hiding behind it and continuously healing it. He will most likely repair it faster than the attacker can damage it. Currently this will only last untill the said Engineer runs out of calc juice, but with your proposal he would be able to keep the structure repaired indefinitely, or until the tanker runs out of his ammo.

Just be thankful the tool replenishes by itself, without requiring a structure (Armory/Barracks) or a different class to refill ;)

13. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

Running out of energy for the built tool is very important from a game play point of view.
    If it never ran out of energy, you could sit in your barracks while its being shelled and contentiously repair it. This from a strategic point of view would be beneficial, but would be even less fun because now you are just sitting there repairing the building till you get killed, or the tank shoots at something else.
    Since your tool does run out of energy this forces you to decide if it would be better to stay put and hope they change their target before you run out of energy, or should you switch to a grenadier and take out that tank?

14. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

That thought should pass through your mind regardless if your have infinite energy or not. A lot of the time you cant repair a building fast enough.

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

currently, to kill a barracks in 8 seconds, chuck 5 seizmic grenades and then decon it with repair upgrade.

i'd love to reduce this to 6 seconds by allowing me to make my turret AND deconstruct it without any penalty. but that would suck. sometimes the only think that keeps you shooting at a structure instead of your own brain is the knowledge that EVENTUALLY their repair ability will run out, that they can't hold out forever and they need to get re-enforcement.

16. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Think about it, with inf energy, buildings become invincible with 2+ engis, walls become useless, tickets will never fall with 1-2 clericEngis around, turrets will explode constantly, turrets will replace dirt, repair stations become next to useless, vehicles become next to invincible with an engi or two sitting behind it... its jsut a bad idea across the board.

17. Hebrew_Hero

Hebrew_Hero Member

Maybe the Engi's can get a skill for increased energy conservation? take out the lvl 3 turret thing, thats dumb, most seasoned players know how to stay out of range for a turret, and take it out. lvl 3 time spent building up. is wasted right there. When capture maps, they should already just be level 3's. Otherwise engi's should only construct current lvl turrets that the com has reasearched.

18. Kitsun

Kitsun Member

Yes, but weapon ammo is there to promote team-work and increase the usefulness of Engis since they an restock their weapons from ammo crates. The Gameboy however, can not be recharged anywhere, the only way to recharge is to wait.

I agree with you on repair being unbalanced when defending buildings.

19. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

There's already something like that, the Repair/Heal upgrade. It essentially doubles the energy capacity and output... sorta, I think, I dunno how much extra juice it allows, but it allows extra fun.

The upgraded turret skill is lackluster at best. In the beginning, i always get Repair Upgrade, and by the time I have more slots to fill, the Comm has already researched upgraded turrets. It should be filled by something useful.

AND ITS A CALCULATOR, DAG-NABBIT!

20. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

if you're with other engineers, so you don't need repair upgrade as much, getting upg turret right at the start and setting up a level 3 turret is just phenominally useful. until tanks appear in a couple of minutes you can pretty much hold back an army.