Engineer-Reload kit

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by the_6th_monkey, May 16, 2006.

1. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

Hows about the engineer can reload his build tool at ammo boxes, its a pain in the ass waiting a minute for the build ability to regerate ;)

2. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

No, just no.
    Engi are already very strong.

3. Jn.

Jn. Member

hey cosmicblu, Don't say no, just give it a try.

We could make it so the engineer couldn't reload the build tool at his own ammo box. I also don't see what's so powerful about the engineer anyway. Would you mind enlightening me? They can build turrets. So what? Turrets are a lot slower now and are pretty easy to take out. That's the only thing they've got pretty much.

4. Soldier in White

Soldier in White Member

No.

Patience is a virtue...

5. Jn.

Jn. Member

How the hell is patience a virtue when all of a sudden at a lone refinery, as you are building the turrets, a few enemy tanks pop around the corner and kill all the turrets you were trying to build and the refinery because youre stupid gameboy wouldn't recharge. If there was an armory there with an ammo box, you could MAYBE get an ML turret online to maybe at least hold the tanks until reinforcements arrive. And soldier in white, you contribute absolutely nothing to the discussion. You can't just say no without a valid reason, and no, patience is a virtue is not a valid reason. Give some decent arguments as to why this wouldn't be a good idea, and maybe I could muster some respect for you and your ideas. I think being able to go to an armory and recharge your building tool is a good idea because it will get base building done faster so engis can get to refineries and healing teammates faster.

6. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I don't think building should deplete calculator ammo unless it's the engineer's own stuff

7. Jn.

Jn. Member

Oh snap, very good idea. Pretty much the same thing, but more effective.

8. Jkun

Jkun Ban Hammer Manor Ruler

In summary: "Buff engines."

NEVAR!

9. Jn.

Jn. Member

How would it buff engis? It would just speed up the building of commander placed buildings (possible not turrets.) It's not like were making the super gameboy a weapon :) The only thing people complain about are the turrets, and those will still bring the ammo counter down.

10. Soldier in White

Soldier in White Member

In respone to " a few enemy tanks" popping up scenario.

I don't see why a single engineer should be able to "hold the tanks." If anything, an engineer is a support unit. Really, you shouldn't play it as an offensive class.

I advocate building 1) under cover 2) before enemy tanks arrive 3) using "ammo" wisely.

In response to the sentence beginning with "I think being able..."

Engineers have a set "building rate." They build as fast as they do by design, not by chance. This forces cooperation between engineers and more than one or two of them. Also, it sets the pace of the game equal with other classes/techs/vehicles.

Patience is a virtue

Waiting for a team to assist you in taking a position before trying to build 2-3 buildings.

Letting the gameboy recharge while using its ammo wisely in building

I assumed this was more or less obvious hence...

"No."

11. Jn.

Jn. Member

Yes engineers have a set building rate, and it's pretty damn slow. The rate at which engineers build has nothing to do with the amount of ammo they have in the gadget. Also, for the scenario, it's not the engineer who holds them off, it's the commander's turrets. Usually, a whole squad won't be around for the whole construction of a refinery and defenses. At most, a couple engineers will be there, who still can't get up a defense for the refinery in time to defend it from a nearby tank. You said you shouldn't play the engineer as an offensive class, this scenario isn't using it as an offensive class.........it's building defense, which is support. Using the engineer offensively is building his own turret in order to seige an enemy base. You said you should build before tanks arrive, well with the level of communication in most pub games, that can be any time at all. Your comm pops down a refinery and a couple turrets, you get it half way built, run out of ammo, and then a tank just comes rolling in and destroys everything. Teammates don't care about helping in that situation, they're out trying to kill enemies. The running out of ammo also doesn't force cooperation. Nothing forces cooperation. It encourages it, maybe, but more often than not, only one engineer will be around to build a structure. Engineers do set the pace, what's wrong with speeding up that pace a little bit?

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  12. Soldier in White

Soldier in White Member

In regards to pub games: absolutely.

But even 1 tank isn't that strong... especially when you have more than one engie. Just scare him away by running at him with the gameboy... (damn noobs)

Support as a front line doesn't work with a noob team.
    Commanders shouldn't drop turrets out front without giving units adequate time or support to build.
    If anything, we need better comms and players who understand orders and this queer notion of "teamwork."

I'd like to see some of that before I see a change in engineer equipz.

13. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I think the engie build tool is fine as it is. I am almost always an engi, and unlimited build would be a buff, and would be a bad addition. It would destroy teamwork and increase turret farming.

14. Headbanger

Headbanger Member

maybe there should be an additional engy-upgrade like increased repair kit regeneration purchaseable for a rankpoint

15. Soldier in White

Soldier in White Member

maybe there is.

16. Jn.

Jn. Member

Repair upgrade.

oooooo I'm a senior citizen now :P

17. Headbanger

Headbanger Member

nope it's not the same... repair upgrade = more health repaired per unit; the repair tool regenerates as slowly as without the upgrade. i've been talking about the ability to make it actually regenerate faster so it stacks with repair upgrade, which means faster repairs AND shorter downtimes for the expensive amount of 2 rankpoints. those abilities combined with imp. healing and revive would make you an excellent supporter.

18. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Seriously, we're saying that because there's not much teamwork in the game we should eliminate more of the teamwork aspect and make it more of a single player game? That's rediculous, get some decent leadership, whip those n00bs into shape and get some teamplay going. I would never give up on one of the best aspects of this mod so that you can have a better time in pubs.

19. zachtos

zachtos Member

Building is boring, anything that will help this go faster is fine IMO. I don't find this unbalanced except you may want to rethink allowing them to do this at their own box. But I highly doubt an engineer is going to have the time to drop a box and ammo up to deconstruct your tank or barracks when he simply could spam grenades instead. Anything that speeds up the monotonay of early game in this mod is AOK in my book.

20. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

If he is "holding the tanks", how is he being offensive, the engineer is a DEFENSIVE unit, and he is DEFENDING the refinery