Enable console option?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Silk, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

As some europeans i can't access the console using my keyboard (the '~' key is somewhere else and doesn't seem to work). For some reason valve doesn't care so they never fixed it. Luckily i can simply add '-console' to the game's launch options. But this doesn't work for empires 1.08 (it works for 1.071 and everything else). I went to check if the console was enabled in the settings, but i didn't find the option anywhere.

I really need a console, for admin, mapping, ... so any suggestions or explanation?

2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

It works for me, try settings this in your config.cfg file:
    bind <key> toggleconsole
    Change <key> with the key of your choice.

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

if its just disabled add this line to your config: con_enable "1"

4. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

I dont know if that one is still needed. But you might add it to your config.cfg as well:
    con_enable "1"

Currently i got 10 (!!) config files. I would like to know whats up with the new emp_config.cfg. To what time is it executed in game? And are the commandes in there "overwriting" the others placed in the various other cfgs?

HL2 STD configs:
    autoexec.cfg (is executed while starting the game)
    config.cfg (is executed on game startup ?!)

Empires CFG files:
    infantry.cfg (is executed while going into infantry mode. Leaving tank or CV for e.g..)
    vehicles.cfg (is executed while going into vehicle mode)
    commander.cfg (is executed while going into commander mode)
    scout.cfg (is executed after changing class to scout)
    engineer.cfg (... )
    grenadier.cfg (... )
    rifleman.cfg (... )
    emp_config.cfg (??? )

5. Caelo

Caelo Member

isnt emp_config all settings of empires? thats what it looked like to me

*edit*
    //AUTOGENERATED BY EMPIRES
    it says so its probably all setting set in the controls menu :P

6. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

Ya. But i dont get how its executed. I think you can use the special bind commands (bind_all, bind_infantry..) to set up a group of bindings which are automaticly executed when the infantry.cfg and so is executed. But i dont know that thing exactly. And i dont know why these things are not placed in the right config file instead.

7. Caelo

Caelo Member

Why bother? It's really small and doesn't hurt anyone :P It's probably in there for a good reason..

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

That should work, however when i change the key, it gets overwritten when i start up empires. So when i check back the file it's the old key again, which doesn't work for me. Can i stop it from overwriting itself? I checked all the other configs for the word 'console' but never was it mentioned again, which makes me wonder how that key can be overwritten in the first place...

btw, con_enable 1 is already part of the cfg it seems.

Edit:
    i tried with other keys as well. Sometimes it saves my key ('=') and the standard '`' key. None of which work though. I tried to do it with empires 1.071, but no succes there as well. But this is a known issue, console via keyboard works with no source game here. But what is strange is that '-console' in launch options doesn't work, since it works with all other games. And since this is the only way i ever found to get to the console, i do have a problem now.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  9. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I think "read only" prevents it from being overwritten.

10. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Haschtewas, start your own thread please.

11. arklansman

arklansman Member

Or you could type it in the console. :P

12. Silk

Silk Mapper

Solokiller, you live in belgium as well, how are your keyboard settings in windows? When i change it to US - international i can use the '²' key (which is '`' on querty keyboards) to bring up the console. Are you using querty as well?

Valve did a bad job with this i think. I assume no one with an azert keyboard can access the console because we have to use the 'alt gr' key together with the 'µ' key to have '`', and it's very well possible this just doesn't work.

Man i really hope there's another way, because i'm not going to import qwerty keyboards from who knows where.

Edit:
    hmm, maybe it's doable. Apparantly alt(left)+shift lets you change the keyboard config. So all i have to do is change it quick, open console, and change it back using alt-shift.
    If it works ... let's find out.

Edit:
    Well alt-shift doesn't work from within empires, so i have to change it first, than start up empires, open the console, than al-tab to windows and change my keyboard back to normal, and alt-tab back to empires.
    I'm so glad alt-tabbing in empires 1.08 is soooo much faster than in 1.071 !!
    Well at least i've found a solution, ... which means i'll be happy when i see a 'planez' server again ;)

Edit:
    nvm, it seems to work only if it's a default setting, so i can alt-shift as much as i want, it only works in windows itself :-(

13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Source games use your keyboard settings, Goldsource uses Qwerty. The ² key isn't even valid in Source.

14. Caelo

Caelo Member

Silk... import QWERTY keyboards? You can get them everywhere!
    In Holland we gave up on hour version a long time ago! I can't even remember how they looked like :P Also I'm pretty sure every computer hardware has a QWERTY keyboard in your country ;)
    I know you guys can buy logitech stuff so getting a good US-international keyboard isn't that hard....

Btw. Why are you using a French keyboard (AZERTY) if you're living in the Dutch speaking part of Belgium?

15. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

That's because the government is gay and won't change the rules.

16. Caelo

Caelo Member

17. Silk

Silk Mapper

Caelo, i've never even seen a querty keyboard in my entire live. Not in any store for that matter.

Wait, not true, i used a querty keyboard in portugal, but that was the only time.

And solo is right, our government is gay. And by the looks of it the next will be worse (french).

Well, than i'll just hope the -console thingy will work again one day.

18. Caelo

Caelo Member

Or you hop on a train and buy a REAL keyboard :P

19. Silk

Silk Mapper

Could you believe that untill 2 days ago i thought that at least 90% of the world was using azerty, and only some fools here and there were being stubbern and didn't want to let qwerty go.

It's strange to see it otherwise after 20 years.

20. Caelo

Caelo Member

meh I think most of the worlds population uses chinese keyboards and second comes QWERTY.

It's all because of this though I think:
    It's hard to change key layout if you're used to using something like DVORAK on typewriters/typemachines.