Empires - Visual Service Pack 1?

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Apr 24, 2010.

1. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Some of the particles (e.g. mortar) are a little too big for my liking, but all in all, they look pretty good.

Empires is starting to show a bit of polish (sparks on the turret joint for sabbed turrets, grenade particles, etc). Nicely done Empty.

P.S. The BE APC needs to be redone (it looks out of place and kind of strange).

2. RKB53

RKB53 Member

agreed

still need mooar mr sheen though

3. gezor

gezor Member

signed
    • nuke explosion needs some work (it looks unrealistic and its too big)
    • repair sparks are too big imo (u can kill epileptics with that)
    other stuff looks good :)

p.s. the old bug with the buildung smoke is still there (sometimes buildungs smoke, although they are fully repaired)

4. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Repair sparks are bugged in the code not in the effect.

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

the nukes are fine, considering their power I found out they can take out a full health refinery in 6 shots(a whole clip) and a rax in 8, so the nukesplosion is pretty accurate to their deadly power, especially now that there are 20 tanks going off all at once.

6. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Except that 20 nuke tanks firing the current particle everywhere turns things into a slideshow for some and a temporary blindness for many. (Just the same for the artillery cannons.) Therefore it's not fine - something is going to have to be done, whether it's scaling it down & toning down the smoke, or redoing it completely. The particle effect controversy is not going to go away otherwise.

7. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I think the repair sparks are fine.

8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

No, they're not. Effect is created in prediction and when it's repredicted (depends on latency and/or what you're doing at specific time) it gets created again. So depending on whether prediction runs specific frame many times or not you'll get up to 4x particles on your screen.

9. Empty

Empty Member

On G4TC I've had 8 spark spawners simultaneouly.

Fzrt.

Also can we discuss something other than fucking nukes.
    Fucks sake we all fucking know.

10. OuNin

OuNin Member

if you can't take criticism of your work, even if you've already fixed it, take your work out of the public eye. qqqqqqqqqqq

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Tbh, I don't mind that much if a lot of tanks around, but randomly, in 2.25 my fps is just around 12ish...pretty much constantly. It's not even tank weapons or anything...particles haven't changed so much for regular stuff that it would cause that, right? I mean for the first time ever i've got everything on low... :confused:

12. Empty

Empty Member

What I've been getting isn't criticism.

13. OuNin

OuNin Member

it's feedback. take it or leave it.

14. Omneh

Omneh Member

You honestly call the shit empty's been getting feedback?

15. OuNin

OuNin Member

there are people that like it. there are people that don't. the reason any mod has forums is for people to yell at the developers. not everybody masturbates to empty's particles and they can have their say.

half of them are trolling anyway because they get kicks from how empty responds.

16. Empty

Empty Member

They can have their kicks when I quadruple every particles particle count and force SV pure on them.

17. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Good luck to anyone stupid enough to bother with this sv_pure nonsense - we will enjoy your servers' players. :)

There's a difference between criticizing what Empty has done versus what Empty is capable of. Frankly, I think he's capable of good looking particles and good performing particles, and I've stated several times that I hope he will pursue that avenue.

I won't, however, sit here and listen to childish sv_pure threats or defense of the particles on the simple basis that Empty made them - he's made some great ones historically, but it doesn't cast a blanket of approval over them. Most of the people upset over performance are prominent players loyal to the mod. No reason to shun them or their opinions, even when stated with a rough tongue. In fact, I won't listen to any threat from any developer, because they don't choose what is served and allowed to the players - we do. And the great thing is, deep down inside, they know it. :)

18. Waffle Prime

Waffle Prime Member

There have been reasonable complaints and valid points made on the particles. Most of the more reasonable complaints have congratulated you on your work, as well as letting you know that some things need more polish. What has you steamed is a vocal minority. As the king of the black hole you should really be use to it by now.

19. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Am I the only one who LIKES the nuke?

Yes, it does kill my fps, but it's still better looking then the old one.

20. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

You can't say that the nuke particles have bad performance, they are huge and still have for this size a comparativly good performance ...
    I like them; just make them 2/3 of the current size and I would love them ...