Empires Summer Scrim League Signup Thread - Teams + Captains within

Discussion in 'General' started by Trickster, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

theres no rankings within tiers.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I kind of looked at it and decided it was actually still really shit and undervalued a lot of people. To be honest, I can put it a lot simpler as far as HOW it should be ranked.

Top - Shots caller/ingame leader. Virtually none of these around, basically just FN and myself. If there were more people who did this then it'd be a different story, but there really aren't a lot of people who ever went in this direction with their Empires playstyle, so it's sort of top just by the scarcity of people who can do it. I'd say Predator is probably very good at this, and I'd imagine seeing as he made a clan Spike is also, though I don't know.

Near top - Scrim commanders. People who do the commanding in a scrim, which is quite different to doing it in pubs. I'd say you're looking at Lawliet, Jephir, LordDz and Confucious that really stick out here.

Tier 2 - Squad leaders. Again, independent of how much actual skill they have, good squad leaders are in short supply. Special mentions go out to people like Security, Paradox, Reznov, Spike if he's not leading the team, Slade. I'm probably bias towards EPIC here because I don't know who actually lead squads in other clans. FN was pretty good at it but Ounin was overrated.

Tier 3 - Heavy hitters. These are the players that Security has ranked top. They're the single players who have so much individual skill they can punch holes through enemy lines purely themselves, or in the case of people like Nihia, just sustain an entire squad on their back with their top tier support. We're talking about people like Neoony, Nihia, Haschte, Commie, incognito, Hopfi, Youzy, Security, Predator, Reznov, etc.

Tier 4 - Versatile vets/clanners. These are the guys who you can basically just say are really good/experienced at the game and can fill any sort of role. This is where my knowledge of players becomes kind of limited with a lot of the newer players so I find it hard to categorise between this and the next category. I don't know who's still good, who's rusty and who's surprisingly good.

Tier 5 - Regular players. These are the guys who you basically use to plug gaps. The main thing that I think separates these players from the ones above is just a case of how specific you need to be with your orders. The players above can kind of think for themselves, the players here I'd just consider in need of more guidance.

Between Tier 4 and 5 the individual skill level actually crosses over a bit, it's just a case of how much those players can actually be effective in a game. A player that knows when to go players and when to go around the map taking refs, vs a player that's actually good at killing players but does it all the time regardless of the situation. It's more important to be useful than good. Obviously when someone is also a good squad leader/shot caller as well as being a heavy hitter like Security, Predator, Reznov, that makes them more valuable to their team, but it's not like it's the single most important thing on the team.

Anyway, sorry if that was long winded but Security's post is just full of wrong and I just feel that it's a pretty shitty way of judging people, it goes against what this entire event is about when you're judging everyone based on individual skill.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  3. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

You overrated "commanding/leading".
    Leading does not overshadow everything else, in Empires.
    Empires is not a pure RTS.

Not to mention you really underestimate the leading abilities of my top players.

Do you think if YouzY Reznov turn on their mic, they have less things in their head than you and FN?
    No.

4. Metruption

Metruption Member

I probably won't be able to attend because my headphones are kill. On the bright side I will soon find more time to play that one MUD and a lot more time for Dwarf Fortress

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

#omitted

Gotta play more I guess

6. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

My list only consists the players on both scrim teams.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I meant Trickster's list :p

8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

only in a multiverse with an indefinite number of realities should I be placed in a higher tier than trickster or jephir. Seriously security, strats, tactics and shooty shooty - I dunno what you were thinking there mate.

I'm pretty inconsistent, my play style is very dependant on the game. Most of the time I consider alot of tactics to be inappropriate. I die alot but in a balanced or serious game I am much better in that regard.

bottom line is you can't really classify people beyond their ability to fill roles and it all comes down to situation awareness and communication. Beyond that it is up to the team. If you are a squad leader your team need to be on you like glue - right into the late game when people are in tanks. The highest hole in the game right now is people who can actually tank as a squad, very, very, very few people can make a cohesive tank squad. Only person that stands out now is doc rabbit. It is over looked but 4 tanks plus their enginner squad leader can wreck games - no one does it and it is overlooked by even the most seasoned vets. And it makes me sad because a Real tank squad wrecks.

For me real mvps are people who can get any job done but heed commands. I know certain squads can punch through a chpcke but I often don't want them to.

division of labor is a thing. Sometimes when you have the upperhand you really don't want a ninja barracks or a rush - I take flack for it often because I don't support things which seem like a no-brainer.

I've more time for the people who can lead their squad exactly as I want. I have no interest in supporting one squad's fanciful apc rush or ninja barracks when my slow and steady plan is working.

I get that those tactics work, but they work best when the whole team is ready for it. When flanks are secure, when counter pushes will fail.

9. Reznov

Reznov Member

Trickster is just mad because he never gets appreciated.

inb4 hardcore ban.

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Comm/squad managing/Engi/Rifle/Gren/vehicle/general knowledge/tactical&map awareness.
    They should all be parallel, one is not overshadowing the others.
    Of course, they are not completely seperated&unrelated.

Empires is not a pure-RTS, not even close.

All of my tier 1 players have more than enough knowledge of this game to comm a team properly and they are also surprisingly effective on the field.
    Especiall Reznov YouzY z00m, you can't name a single thing in this game that they are not good at.

5 Jephir/Hobbes/Trickster & 15 Reznov isn't going to win against 20 Reznov.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  11. Trickster

No, but Trickster + 19 Reznov is going to beat 20 Reznov. And at the end of the day, the people you mentioned are great squad leaders, but a game leader is something different entirely because you're macro-managing the entire team rather than micro-managing 5 people. The more people on the team the more substantial this job is.

You have to keep in mind that I'm tiering the importance of these roles based on just how few people within the community fulfil them. Like there's a reason that FN and I are the only 2 people to run proper clans this past 7 years, it's because no-one else really developed themselves in that direction as a player. Some tried and did actually get pretty far like Paradox, but it's still a massively undermanned role within games.

12. Paradox

thats debatable

13. Trickster

Kind of want to point out that the players I listed there were really just examples as they came to my head. I don't want anyone to see that as some sort of ranking I had because it's very much based on when I was last playing actively. A lot of players may since have stopped playing at the "Heavy Hitter" level, some may have gone up to that, some players may have developed themselves as good squad or game leaders, some commanders may have appeared etc. I'm just using the players I listed to really explain what I mean rather than "rank" them.

I think the way I can put it simplest is supply and demand. If you consider that players have a "worth" for their team, the less people able to fulfil a position raises the worth, the more that can do it lowers it. If there were 10-20 other really decent ingame leaders, then that drops right down in terms of importance because loads of people can do it. Likewise, if there were a lot fewer "Heavy hitters", then that would obviously raise it up a bit more.

That's just the way I look at it anyway. You can't fill a team with riflewhores just like you can't fill a team with squad leaders or you'll never accomplish anything.

Just in the same way that a team of 20 Tricksters would lose to a team of 19 Tricksters + Reznov. It's about filling positions.

14. Paradox

yeah but implying 20 reznovs would lose to 19+trickster implies you are a better tactician than reznov. Which is debatable since we dont know how good of a tactician he exactly is

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

You guys need to stop getting so riled up over a troll chart.

16. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

19 McGyvers would totally own 20 McGyvers.

17. Paradox

Geeeeeeeeet the fuck out

18. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I just love how you use "Jephir/Hobbes/Trickster" as if they are interchangeable.

This line of conversation is fucking wonderful. It just gets better and better.

[​IMG]

19. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

The last time there was more than one teef on a team, this happend.

Also I read 3 pages of that, closed it and now my fucking eyes hurts because of the green.

Thanks Angry.

20. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

20 Señors v 20 Señors would probably forget about the game, teamswitch themselves, and try to figure out how high they could nine-mine the CV.

Evidence