Empires server: Virtualisation

Discussion in 'General' started by Bozza, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Bozza

Bozza Member

Hey All :D

I'm getting a dedicated server machine which I am planning to put ESXi on. On one of the virtual servers I am planning to put on an OS with a dedicated EMP server for my clan.

The server will be i5 or i7 with 16gb or more ram.

Has anyone got any experience with Virtualization and what system resources it would take up? What is the best OS to use?

I would love to hear all comments!

2. Bozza

Bozza Member

i will just give it a go. I will let you all know how it works out running in a virtual environment!

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

im wondering why you would virtualize it. You could have just spent half as much and gotten 3 computers to serve with. well unless you already had the hardware... then I would say... WTF?! don't waste it on a server put a god damn good vid card and use it as a gamming rig!

4. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Do as Viroman said. Use it as a gaming rig.
    Rent a dedicated server box instead. It'd be a way better choice if you were thinking about hosting it in your own home. (Unless you have a 100mpbs fibre line going to your house...)

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

all of you should read, he is going to virtualise this server, and one of the things he is using it for is empiresmod, hinting at the fact that he uses it for other things too

server boxes suck, only good for low end use, like one or 2 gaming servers

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

You need lots of CPU time and networking driver to be fast.

7. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I can drive.

8. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

And I have time.

9. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I run ESXi clusters mostly on HP Blades and storage. I would be real interested to know how you get on or help if I can. PM me if you've any questions

I've thought about trying this out myself just to see how it runs. I would be using Win 2008 R2 as the OS, turn off all the windows GUI fluff straight away.

Make sure your hardware is listed on VMware HCL, particularly the NICs, what are they by the way?

Ultimately the machine is probably not a good candidate for virtualisation, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't run - just that you wouldn't want to consolidate many more machines onto that ESX box with it, totally different from say web servers where you can easily go 30:1