Empires: "Remember when..."

Discussion in 'General' started by jragbir, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Std cannons also do that against afvs sometimes :mad:

2. Kane

Kane Member

also rails against stones
    IIRC there's a delay till when the shell doesn't explode (against world).

3. Empty

Empty Member

Remember when we had the cool pseudo balance, when NF had to win fast due to their vehicle style, and BE had to hold out until they got powerful weapons?

4. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

remember when all the minimap icons were squares, so you'd spawn at a big base thinking there was a vehicle factory but it was just a bunch of turrets?

5. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

^ That was awesome.

Remember when it was fun to drive around, and the vehicles didn't feel sluggish?

6. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

I pretty much had to relearn how to drive all the vehicles... I think handling has improved since but its not to that level yet...

7. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Those were the days. That was before (not posting the rest since one of the devs would probably ban me for it)...

8. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

oh you mean before dizzyone ruined everything?

what, too soon?

9. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

has anyone actually gone back and played 2.0, 1.07? I expect the mod is far better now than that. rosetinted glasses and all that

though I wish we'd never gone to the orange box. perhaps it is great for reducing lag or something, but it seemed to sap the team's energy, especially when a whole load of stuff had to be redone like vehicle handling. when they could have been making stuff better in the old engine.

10. @@@@Marcin@@@@

@@@@Marcin@@@@ Developer

When you could control enemy com from your com vehicle
    When you could drive a apc as com
    When you could sap buildings as com
    When you could lay mines as com
    When you could Fire weapons as com
    :)
    you can still do most of these things still with SM hehe

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

What kind of nonsense is that, all he did was change the weapon scripts :| If you feel you can pull the holy grail of balancing out of one of your bodily cavities, please go ahead and post it on the forums for feedback

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Well I think everyone pretty much agrees that mark 2's were the death of mediums.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Actually heavy tanks were the death of mediums, you didn't get meds before mark 2s because heavies were so much better.

I don't think mediums ever lived in the first place.

14. Demented

Demented Member

Cpatton used them a fair bit in his old rush strategies. (Poor, poor pubbers.)

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I still use them...if I don't have time for heavies. But the niche is admittedly a lot smaller - even if I do think BE meds are the best tank in the game, the AFV Mk II only has 1 plate less armour, which makes it pretty worthless. NF meds are bricks too, so that kinda fails compared to lights.

16. Demented

Demented Member

Why bother?

17. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Maybe on money or slaughtered.. Mediums were the faster and cheaper way to get HE or UML to keep the enemy team from regaining land.. Which is what mark 2's do now.

18. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Exactly. Having moderators arbitrarily lock threads with real insight and potential while the noob fest is allowed to spiral out of control elsewhere is pretty discouraging, too.

For your information, I have a set of completed weapons scripts that I did a long time ago. I will tell you two things about them here on the forums.

#1. They're better than the current scripts, they have original ideas, and they are especially superior to 2.23. In fact, I was inspired to write them because of 2.23.

#2. They changed a lot of shit, some changes some people wouldn't understand right away, and I don't have patience, so they don't stand a chance here on the forums.

Thanks to kylegar, though, I can just rent-a-server and find out for myself if people would actually like them when 2.25 comes out. Though I would be competing against deif and trickster at that point, and they're bound to do better in the scripts category than official empires scripters have done in recent history. (plus they've got devs developing code for them that will be implemented in the next version, and I do not)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  19. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

*tips turret with 1mph*
    *dies*

20. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I was referring to the fact that SVN revisions for Empires 2.2, 2.21, 2.22 and 2.23 were considered to be something besides ALPHA TEST CANDIDATES.