Empires Mod Rip Off Mod!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by petemyster, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petemyster

petemyster Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  2. KILLX

KILLX Banned

hmm, by your logic Empires Mod is a natural Selection rip-off

3. petemyster

petemyster Member

of corse not, NS and iron grip riped empires off! (they have physics who can see into the future)

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Please don't bash other mods for "ripping off empires mod". Even if it's true, it will only make things worse.

5. KILLX

KILLX Banned

physics see into the future? and I thought they only calculated things like velocity and gravity

6. petemyster

petemyster Member

lol so what if i can't spell, i make up for it in my AWWWWWEEEESOOOOMMMMEEE NESS!!!

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

you ARE awesome :D

8. Sewage

Sewage Member

Who knows how the gameplay will be, but the drawings and in game shots look good. Reminds me of the final fantasy movie with the guys in the armored suits.

9. KindredPhantom

KindredPhantom Member

So first you post in the nuclear dawn forums acting a fool now you create this stupid thread.

Fail more.

10. Sandwich

Sandwich Member

Nuclear Dawn has been in production for a loooong time.

11. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Even I the lord of flames wouldn't post anything this stupid. fps/rts hybrid isn't new and the games aren't even close. Does ND even have vehicles??

12. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

A few props, but nothing usable.

13. arklansman

arklansman Member

I only think ND sucks because of faked screenshots. -.-

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

really! how do you know?

15. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

there's a blog somewhere that pretty much analyzes some photos, the former lead dev admitted to it. Idk where it is atm.

But on topic, Krenzo told me that they're taking ND in a new direction, it's straight FPS now and not a hybrid. So no worries there. They just haven't updated their website, apparently.

Also, the rts is completely different, anyway, afaik-- i don't think they have resources or anything, and the commander can drop items. So ZM meets NS marine, I guess.

also, yeah, what simon said.

16. arklansman

arklansman Member

Also the fact that the person has the exact same HP and ammo, there are players in the exact same spot on the radar, and everything else on the HUD is absolutely identical.

17. Namron

Namron Member

It's sad that this rumour is still going around.

This is what the they did (if I remember everything right, if not please correct me):

1. They placed new but static player models on a map (and took a static screen of it) because they hadn't yet added the animations for them. They did that since they needed new screenshots to submit to a PC magazine (there was a deadline). The animations was added shortly thereafter.

2. During development, devs finish the HUD graphics after they've completed the HUD functions. Showing placeholders and plain text isn't pretty though, nor clever in a major PC magazine with an audience not very familiar with development or mods, so they took their HUD concept and PS'ed it into a screenshot. The map, the actual comm view etc wasn't edited in any way whatsoever.

I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say, but... I've playtested Nuclear Dawn and it was in a playable state, comm mode and resources too, a year before that vaporware blog entry was made that started the rumours. Sure, the maps was half-finished and the comm mode and structure placement had its bugs (as well as a hilarious kill option in the comm HUD intended for bots, it worked on players too), but in no way was or is ND vaporware or "fake" in any appreciable extent.

18. arklansman

arklansman Member

I'm not saying it's vaporware, I just think it's shitty of them to pretend that they are farther along than they really are.

19. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

or were farther along then they really were. At that point in time, it was hardly a rumor, especially since it was confirmed by the lead coder to be faked. However, like he said, that blog is dated by now. Theoretically there's more progress... but then again the devs have maintained their policy on 'no releasing anything that shows our work ever' other then the new screens and a teaser that flashes the logo.

I'm sure the mod will be great when it gets released, but until that point in time, I'm not holding my breath about anything.

20. Namron

Namron Member

It would take perhaps a week to finish HUD graphics, and the animations was indeed added as I said, so they pretended to be a whole week ahead of schedule. Oh my!

The delayed beta test (and public release) is caused by several ND devs being hired ("stolen", no? ND bashers?) by game companies and/or losing interest in the mod, I guess. That's a letdown, but it's totally unrelated.

They nonetheless have made an amazing amount of work on the mod as (experienced by the testers and) seen in the screenshots and this video, minus a static model and the PS'ed HUD.

You didn't read what I wrote, and you didn't read the response by the founder. As I said, the mod (comm mode and all) was in a rough but playable state a year before that blog entry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.