Empires Mod for free...

Discussion in 'General' started by Jane0815, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Jane0815

Jane0815 Member

Hey folks,

since some weeks you can play Empires Mod for free (because you can play Team Fortress 2 for free and with it, you can get the Source-SDK for free ;) )

You should pic up these news permanently on your main-homepage... so perhaps new players will be available...

Furthermore: I love your mod!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  2. Empty

Empty Member

We know.

3. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Excuse Empty, he's a very acceptive person. Welcome to the mod, get aquainted with the players but don't look too closely at the community unless you're prepared.

4. Jane0815

Jane0815 Member

Thanks for your welcome, Devourawr. I hope, that not only "acceptive persons" will be noticed by the community. ;-)

Perhaps it is possible, to add this "for free" aspect to the quickstart-guide? ( http://www.empiresmod.com/quickstart/ ). I'm wondering, that this mod doesn't react to this aspect... hm.

5. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

It was my understanding that source SDK didn't come with the free tf2

6. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

7. Jane0815

Jane0815 Member

First, I wasn't sure too. I created a new Steam-Account and tried to install Empires... and it worked! This "free for mods" is a awesome aspect for all modding teams! After some investigation, I find a news on Battlegrounds mod ( http://www.bgmod.com/ )

You can now play Battlegrounds 2 completely for free! The kind people at Valve have made the Source SDK Base 2007 available to anyone with a Steam account.

All you need to do is:
    1. Install steam (http://store.steampowered.com/about/) and create an account.
    2. Go to the Library page in steam.
    3. On the drop down menu, which should say “ALL GAMES”, select “TOOLS”.
    4. Scroll down to “Source SDK Base 2007″ and double click it.
    5. Install the “Source SDK Base 2007″.
    6. Download the Battlegrounds 2 Installer. (http://www.bgmod.com/downloads/bg2w.html)
    7. Run that installer.
    8. Restart steam and Battlegrounds 2 will be in your installed games list.

I think, you should react on this too... all potential players, who don't like steam und don't want to pay some money for Half-Life games, can now play all the mods for free... A short step for valve, but a big one for the modding community :)

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

We're generally waiting on a new patch before we go on a major publicity offensive, but it's just taking way longer than anticipated. The current version has a lot of bugs we'd rather not put people off with. But I promise you, if/when we get that good patch out, we'll be posting info in every single place we can, because we barely publicised the fact we actually got on steam in the first place.

9. Jane0815

Jane0815 Member

Until now, you did a good job! Good thing takes time... I will wait :)

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

I'd love to believe you, but honestly I doubt a publicity offensive will ever happen. Noone is ever going to make a teaser/trailer. I've suggested changes to the moddb page, so as to help people download Empires easier, and nothing has ever come of it. Whoever is in charge has always put publicity on the backburner for the next patch (and the next patch after that) as the game slowly dies and its just frusterating

11. Trickster

There are no plans to make a trailer, but if a decent one was made we'd support it for definite. The problem has always been (for the last 5 patches or so) that they've been, well, clearly unfinished patches. I won't go into why they were like that openly, but you and I both know why. But things have changed, and we have something to be optimistic about. Rather than setting an arbitrary date as a deadline, we just have a to-do list, and it'll be released when we've done that, and that includes fixing all major bugs. I know exactly where you're coming from, and I know it's been said before, but ON THE CONDITION that the current idea that's being worked behind, i.e. release when the game is ready, not based on a time, I think the next patch will be the first one we can really be proud of since 2.24d, and one worth publicising over.

But if you want to send me changes you'd make to the modDB page, by all means do. But there won't be news postings. Profile changes etc I'm more than up for. I'm unsure of how to delete the old downloads though, it seems that only Krenzo can make some of the changes.

12. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

"things Have Changed"

13. Trickster

I'd like to think they have, yes. But chances are that it will still be a while before anyone can see that, because I don't see the next release coming within a month.

You can see the to-do list here though:

https://www.pivotaltracker.com/projects/133576

14. Empty

Empty Member

Someone should take a few demos of cyclopean/district/duststorm/streets, get some good camera angles, overlay it with the launch music, NO NARRATION. And then just release that. End with the old empires intro vid, bang. Beautiful, people would love it.

15. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

MOOtant is the moddb admin IIRC, although it's possible there are some other news posters that have gone inactive

16. Trickster

I think it's Krenzo. We tried to get it so that people other than him could edit news posts and stuff, but it just doesn't seem to allow it.