Empires Main Server CV armor bug

Discussion in 'General' started by -=SIP=-, Jul 30, 2010.

1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I'm writing this here because I can't find the forum for the Main Server.

The CV armor bug is ruining too many games.
    Is it that difficult to find the reason for this? Just compare the scripts with Viper server.

Here one example from my last game:
    6-10 UMLs + Bio MG and the BE CV was dead. And I wasn't really aiming for the CV. It died after I already left enemy main base because of bio damage.

And the same happens to the NF CV. When you hear as Commander that you are under attack mostly one side of armor is already completely gone because of one lonely grenadier.

2. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yes, it is that fucking difficult. I've spent hours and hours comparing every single plugin, every single last fucking setting and cvar with VIPER. If you have an issue, go elsewhere, but for the time being, there's nothing we can do, as most people have been informed (and have been capable of understanding) for the last few weeks. Even when we formatted it and had a stock install, it's still there. It was there in 2.25 testing. No-one knows why it happens. No amount of saying "fix it plz" is going to fix it without dev help. I'm wiping the server AGAIN when I get back off holiday, and we're trying the windows server on wine, rather than native linux (which sucks donkey dick). It will more than likely still be present there.

If you want to help, set up your own server on your computer and find out why the hell it happens, because we aren't the only ones who have the issue, and I think everyone is sick to death of it by this point. It makes commanding totally shit for me, someone who boomtanks a lot. As I said, it came up in 2.25 testing. To fix it, MOOtant made CV health ridiculous. This didn't fix it in the slightest, because it's entirely unrelated to the normal CV health.

4. communism

communism poof

fix it plz

5. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Is Empires even in active development? I thought we declared it dead a few months ago...

Krenzo... Fix it please. Thanks.

6. Mashav

Mashav Member

Nope.(well technically it was, but its ongoing now.)
    If we actually got decent tests things would probably go faster. (and would most definitely go faster on my part as I am entirely limited by the number of successful balance tests that happen.)

7. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Don't fix it plz.

8. Omneh

Omneh Member

Perhaps when something worth testing is done with the balance, people will test. Stuff like that idiotic e-build change (which was entirely panned by just about everyone who bothered to test it because, well, e-build SUCKS, the game is bad enough already with the amount of staring at walls and watching bars fill, don't make it worse) doesn't count as something worth testing, at least more than once.

Either that or people will start testing when the devs (such as they are) start listening to tester feedback.

9. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

possible workaround

To me it feels a bit like the return of 9mining, one gren being able to nearly take down the cv...
    However, assuming we're talking about "one rpg kills 4 plates of cv armor" here's what I found out, maybe it helps:

For some (all?) infantry weapons it seems the cv's armor values are taken from the wrong armor entry in the armor config tables (vehicle_armor.txt), during my local testing the armor values from jeep's plain armor were applied.
    (the first entry in v._armor.txt - considering the comment next to the cv armor entry, there's some ugly positional indexing in the code for this... )

Assuming that this is consistent, a possible workaround could be to copy the cv values to the jeep's plain armor - as it currently is, jeeps cannot have armor anyway, so there shouldn't be a problem with superjeeps.

Edit: Another unrelated thing I noticed was, that with the rpg's explosion force and radius both set to 0 , the explosion damage is much stronger than with the default values - pushes the cv quite a bit, and takes about 90% health when fired at your feet. I sense some bugs still waiting to emerge with the damage calculations....

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010