Empires crashing while loading next map

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dannyboy, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Dannyboy

Dannyboy Member

This is bugging me now, but everytime I the game finishes and the map loadsm the game crashes, sometimes it just crashes randomly with the same error, it talkes about allocation of "27567378 bytes failed!" which is a memory error, but I run 3 gigs so I don't know whats happening, I run vista so that may be the problem, but can anyone help me?

Note: I have visted the vista crashes thread, dl'ed the patches but that isn't the problem

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  2. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

3 GB sounds strange to me. Do you use 1 1GB and 1 2GB? Sometimes it happens that some RAM-modules donĀ“t like each other...

3. Dannyboy

Dannyboy Member

the 3gb came with it.

4. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Make sure you have them all installed. What process did you follow in the vista thread, did you try the fixed EXE and install the patch that addresses the memory allocation issues? When it crashes, BEFORE you hit ok, open up task manager and look at the working set memory usage and the private working set for hl2.exe...what are they, and how large of a frame buffer does your videocard have?

5. Dannyboy

Dannyboy Member

Right, when it next crashes I'll check

6. Dannyboy

Dannyboy Member

Here it is:
    [​IMG]

Oh, I just got another crash with a different error, whats this about?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  7. Caelo

Caelo Member

you tried a reinstall of both empires and the source SDK Base?

8. Dannyboy

Dannyboy Member

Yush, I have

9. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

10. Dannyboy

Dannyboy Member

Ah, sorry anyway I tried a long shot with updating my drivers that happened to be outdated for some arbitrary reason and so far no crashes.

11. FatesWebb

FatesWebb Member

I am having this problem, where usually it crashes at map change, sometimes during play...

I have updated all of my drivers...

running vista. 2gb of ram, brand new computer I just built.

never experienced this problem in other hl2 or other non-hl2 games on this system.

does anyone know the resolution? at first I thought that it was just a bug in the game, but I see now not everyone experiences it.

12. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

The resolution was a hardcore windows update. Windows update has always fixed issues I've had with vista.

Have you sent the mdmp files in your Source SDK Base folder to bugs@empiresmod.com yet?

13. Irnec

Irnec Member

Me Too =(

i have the same problem.:(

Laptop bought last month:
    nvida 8400M
    2GB Ram
    and a core 2 duo
    vista is fully updated, and i have empires 1.12 installed.

9/10 times when the map changes the game crashes.:(

14. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

ya I have a same problem where my game crashes after a map change but I never get too see wtf the problem was because it REALLY crashes my comp, like where I cant get out of it and have too use the ol power button.

2gb of ram, xp, geforce 6600 GT, pentium 4 2.4ghz

15. Irnec

Irnec Member

Possible fix.

I fixed it last night on my comp.

I had the looing sound crash too, so i did what i was told to do to fix that, lowered my texture level to medium, added "-novid" and "-heapsize 131072" to my shortcut, (-novid because the vid makes my game crash on load sometimes,) (heapsize because i think it let more of the map get loaded)

Anyway, all my crashes are now gone, i spent from 10pm till 5am playing empires last night and got =( when the only server with more than 10 ppl on it was the training server.

16. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Interestingly enough, the Orange Box engine has fixed the bug that makes you crash when you run low on memory. So when 2.2 comes out, you should be able to play with a higher texture detail and not crash.

17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Well, Vista does have this nifty preloading feature where if you play a game / launch an application very regularly each day around the same time, Vista will preload the necessary information before the actual executable is launched, thus shortening your loading times.

Maybe during play, Vista preloads some random program these guys were using, and thus steals some of the allocated memory. And then when the map changes and it has to load a shitload of new textures/models/map, it runs out of memory and crashes. Just a theory though :p

18. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Do you have Service Pack 1? If not, make sure you get it. It contains a bunch of fixes that may solve your problem.

Also, do you have Vista 32 bit or 64 bit?