Empires community source mod nights interest?

Discussion in 'General' started by wealthysoup, Jun 12, 2012.

1. pastori

pastori Creator of huge bridges

I made like 20 maps for Sourceforts, would be nice to play some of them again :P

Don't know if one can get it to work though, client and server both.

2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

We did play it a night. Half of the people ragequit cause they were stomped in one match :)

3. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Member

Total stompage in one Sourcemod seems to have stopped this initative in its whole.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah well, pros shouldn't be playing, that's no fun. We're all shit at these sourcemods and it's fun that way. And no people crying "NOW YOU KNOW HOW IT'S LIKE FOR NEW PLAYERS IN EMPIRES". No. This is nothing like that. Being killspawned repeatedly in arena-style gameplay for half an hour straight is not fun.

The whole point was that both bases should have been shitty because WE are shitty. Instead, one side had 2-3 pro players who built a base that was entirely impenetrable to us, because we had no idea what we were doing, meanwhile the other team just took our flag repeatedly.

TTT would be incredibly fun, and I'd go and grab as many as the old CW fags as I could, because CW and EPIC used to play this together pretty regularly, and we were all pretty good at playing it, especially with the most hardcore settings we could set up. Having said that, TTT used to be a bitch to set up, just like any Gmod server. But maybe because it's shipped with Gmod (which, coincidently, ruined the game) it should be easier this time.

Either way, there's no time to host these things right now because EMPIRES TESTING.

5. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Vets stacking in a source mod? QUICK, CALL AL JAZEERA!

6. Trickster

They shouldn't have been invited.

7. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Also because I don't have time at the minute (until next weekend anyway)

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

really, i cant see the slightest similarity to empires ...

and i dont mean to blame you trickster - you actually tried to counteract the playerbase with disabling spec and forcing joins and whatnot.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  9. RetroFade

RetroFade Member

I just played TTT on a server with only Brits in for the first time in ages.

I can't believe how much fun this game was, it's barely changed. Everytime I was traitor I just pissed myself at knifing people in the back for them to fall outside in a group of innocent's or sniping them through 3 windows and then having a 1v1 shootout to win.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Did you play that night?

It's kind of different really, if all you can do is spawn.

And not even move. We have spawn protection, so they can at least look around.

11. LordDz_2

Yeah, a map where the spawn isn't in the middle of the fighting, were it's very easy to drop mines, maybe would be better.

Also, barrackses tend to be destroyed after having mines and rockets and other explosive stuff happen around them.

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

It's really fun to play on close quarters maps such as the CSS ones because if one person shoots someone everyone just starts firing in all directions. The downside to the game though is that since it's on garrysmod there is a really high chance you will meet 12 year olds who don't shut up.

13. RetroFade

RetroFade Member

Definitely, especially clue, because one person might shoot in the lobby and everyone's guns just go off instantly.

I'm guessing the minority from earlier were about 13, and they shut up most of the time anyway, it was actually fairly bareable, the good thing was 75% of the players all used their mics. The general demographic was probably from about 15 till early twenties, so they kinda got lost in the fray.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

Once I move into the new house with better internet I can host a 7-8 player OC server if anyone wants to run brokenescape with 3-5 lives.

15. LawnNome

LawnNome Member

I've always wondered why there is no clan or group that runs a server and changes the game they play weekly/monthly. such a group could organize exposure for hl2 mods, and increase players permanently for mods that actually have servers. there are enough hl2 mods to play a different one every week for 6 months. many of the mods are decent games with no players ie warhammer exterminatus, others only have one server during special events ie ww1 source. I don't think I could ever get bored playing different games for free every week.

16. LordDz_2

We had a thread for that Lawn, you're free to start it up again :)

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

Saturday 15th September, 17 BST for Obsidian Conflict? I can host for 7-8 players (not sure, haven't stresstested the connection yet). We could have some causal maps or try to go for limited life playthroughs (broken escape yay).

Only if 4 people say they're interested, as in posted in here saying they're interested, will I host this thing.

Deal?

18. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

harvest gogo

19. RetroFade

RetroFade Member

No More Room in Hell got updated. Hidden now has more traffic than it has had within years.

All you have to do is get some YouTubers with a million subscribers and the newbs come rolling in.

20. Trickster

That's genuinely interesting. If we get a good patch it would be worth going after those kinds of people.