Empires ballistics

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Nickierv, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

or why we will never have realistic tanks...

Keep this in mind: real world tank shells are moving around 1400 m/s (5040 km/h) with a range of 3000m, so ~ 2 second flight time.

Source engine limits have our shells maxing out at 3600/second (rail guns). If the max vehicle speed is 60mph (~100km/h or ~27.7m/s) and they can outrun missiles that are moving around 2200/second, a bit of math gives us the top speed of shells at a mind blowing 37.1m/s.
    -Just for reference, regulation paint ball is set at 91.44m/s (300 fps or 204.5 mph)

If we keep our 2 second flight time, we get a range of 74.2m (237.5 feet) as well as:
    Shells are traveling 37 times slower in source.

Ratio of shell speed to target speed
    RL: V_shell = 70* V_target
    (target @ 72 km/h)
    EMP: V_shell = 2.678* V_target
    (target @ 100 km/h, jeeps and LT)
    EMP: V_shell = 1.855* V_target
    (target @ 72 km/h or 20m/s, tanks)

In order to get the same reaction time in the source engine, the target needs to be 1,167.3 units (12m) away with a top speed of .233km/h (0.144 mph or .21 feet/second)

If someone can double check my math, I may have missed something.

I have no idea where to post this, but I figured it is most relivent here.

2. Empty

Empty Member

Yes we all already know source's limitations prevent us from having proper projectile speeds.

Next thread please.

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i already did the math a bit like you did, however its nice to know that rails go slower then they are said to be, its capped somewhere in between 3000 and 3500 in speed (depends on lag) although it starts to act weird from 2800 speed (the lag effects)

i believe your maths is general solid besides the things i said though but i dont really get what you want to prove with it? what changes do you suggest or ...

4. Empty

Empty Member

If you want a specific number a unit (projectile speed is units/s) is 1/14 of a foot.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

how large is a foot in empires?

6. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Dimensions

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

isnt that dependend on the size of models? i mean if models would be twice the size a foot actually would only be half the size like stated there :D
    also you fail at linking brutos :D

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  8. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

im using my phone browser. typing aint as easy here. also our models should be combine sized iirc

9. flasche

no they are a tad larger as the proposed sizes of doors from valve are too small ;)

10. zenarion

zenarion Member

Make tank cannons hitscan.

11. flasche

wouldnt that make tank combat a bit dull? i actually like that shots travel arched. i also dont think that this is a real problem ...

12. zenarion

zenarion Member

Maybe, but the tank combat would be helluva lot more realistic that ways. But that wouldn't work with Empires maps anyway.

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

It's fun at the range/speed it is.

14. OMEN

OMEN Member

so we has bf1942 style tank battles - so what ?

modern day tanks cant survive 1 shell from each other (same class).

/sarcasm: maybe we should have petrol for vehicles and get insurance to drive the vehicles and the tracks and tyres wear out and occasionally the tank you buy has some dodgy clutch...

15. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Dimensions are kinda fucked up in source, like all characters in L4D and Hl2 are only 1.6 meters high :) .

16. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

basically nick made a set of scripts that was terrible and lulzy with guided nukes flipping tanks through the air and cannons being direct fire weapons that didn't arc at all and armors that were basically impervious to all weapon fire, and i guess he's defending some of his concepts here.

you can have long range combat and still have arcing cannon fire. I made (as in finished) a 'battletanks' script set that made cannons deal a high amount of damage to other tanks and have a high amount of splash and arc that made using the arc of the cannonfire and splash easy to hit other tanks with. close combat never happened in the few tests that we did because tanks were killing each other too quickly for comfortable close combat.

You'd have to play around with numbers to make everything perfect, but my point is you can easily have long-range combat without making everything a skill-less hitscan weapon.

17. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Fun is more important than realism. Also, since Empires is not trying to be a realism mod, we should distinguish ourselves by having some totally wacky, but fun gameplay elements. I kind of like some of the stuff Mr. Weedy did with Altered Empires.