Empires [3.0?]

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Aranjedeath, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aranjedeath

Aranjedeath Member

As I intend not to jump the gun on anything particularly quickly, I was wondering some deatails, from either the devs or krenzo.
    I know 3.0 won't be for a while, and no I'm not asking for a release date, that would be retarded. SO,
    will emp[3.0~ish] be the episode 2 engine, or something different (ep 3 anyone? In case its out...)?
    Just wondering on what y'all are planning on, so I'll know what to buy, at that time.

[I haven't bought either ep1 or ep2, cause emprires doesn't require either :D)

2. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

It will be moving to the ep2 engine, and you won't have to buy anything more.

3. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

we can use the ep2 engine without ep2?

4. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

SDK uses it methinks

5. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Empiresmod does use ep1 afaik, but you don't need to buy it, they become available for all mods through the source sdk (base).

6. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Yup, all source based products (Valve's anyway) will get automatic updates though they won't necessarily take advantage of them.

7. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

I'm holding out for ep 3, then hopefully they'll have a package deal with 1 2 3 , tf2 etc etc

8. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Dito what momo said.

9. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

That was my original plan, but that went out the window when TF2 and Portal came along with ep2

10. REX

REX Member

when was episode 3 supposed to be released ?

11. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

Yes ^^;

12. pixelized

pixelized Member

IMO the first priority should be taking advantage of the benefits threading and multicore support will add to empires. When you look at the scale of the game compared to traditional source mods I think we need everything we can get and since valve was so kind to support multi core systems I think it's only natural that the dev team uses it.

Granted when you look at the valve survey this is only going to impact 20 percent of the aggregate player base we've seen that multicore systems are the future and it couldn't hurt for empires to get ahead of the game.

And yes you just need the source sdk base to play empires. I formatted my computer a few times during testing and installed the base and empires was happy with it. That's why you can buy a cheap game like CSS get access to the source sdk base and play empires.

13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Multi core plez! My quad intel would like it. :|ove:

14. zimm

zimm Member

I would make more sense to implement multicore in the server version than on the client one .. .

15. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I think using multicore on the client allows you to seperate the level being rendered and the models, players, turrets, buildings, and everything else being rendered.
    If Helk's dynamic lighting is implemented it could be placed on either fo the 2 cores, and on another core if you're using quad core.
    For the last core in a quad core you could use whatever would take a lot of processing.

16. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

And what about us who have one core? :(

We are forced to buy at least dual core to have at least decent fps on low graphic settings?

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You would have the same performance as always, but those with more cores would get better performance. It's mainly the servers that will need multiple cores.

18. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Alright. ^^

19. Silk

Silk Mapper

Eh?

<filler>

20. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Multi-threading would be GREATLY useful for servers. Since ATM Empirees is only using one core out of Krenzo's server's four cores or so, (If I remember right) but it can hold up to 42 players, think about 4x the power. 62 player servers easy peasy, more if he really wants to go crazy with them. I'd expect that servers with 128 players would only play 16x maps though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.