emp_Uaxactun

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Riot, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Riot

Riot Member

nice one zooooom, very much appreciated. Fixed the water and wireframe now and texture on sandbags. Wireframe was caused by a bad line in a vmt and water was the height issue. EDIT: All missing textures fixed. (I think :) )

I've rearranged some geometry to stop people gettin to where zeke was in the NE. The white buildable poles in NW are bugging me though.

So. if anyone has any ideas about these:

1. White textures/glow around the generator model in centre and buildable barrier/poles in NW.

Thanks again for the help guys, Hopefully all will be fixed up pretty soon and I can get a final release out.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

i get the glow on every map buildable (generator too), i think its coming from the down "skybox" , are you sure they are made them right way?

3. Riot

Riot Member

think i know what is now actually. my main skybox is split with a no draw on bottom half, i forgot to do the same for the 3dskybox. I'll give it a try. I changed some stuff in the map and now it crashes the game :/ Trying to figure out wtf I just did...

4. Riot

Riot Member

well, some good news and some bad news....

Bad news is, no matter what I do, my water seems to be completely fucked, as in, cubemaps WILL NOT RENDER and the water just looks like shit. Actually I don't think the cubemaps are building at all. I've tried a load of things and nothing seems to work. Water is now all same height, didnt help... cheers to bumgravy for all the suggestions..got any more?? :)

Hmm, quick note, I notice the .bsp filesize DROPS when I build cubemaps. WTF??? It is most definitely the cubemaps that are not building, maybe someone else could take a bash at compiling them ingame. I lost 160KB worth of data....what is this bloody engine doing to my map :( :( :( :( :headshot: (it says "building default cubemaps for sky_day01_07" or something like that after giving readout of building each cubemap and taking the snapshots (cycles through each cubemap taking screenies as it should)) this must be wrong...

Good news is, all previously misisng textures and models should now all be working for _b3. Map should now be much more playable.

Also, for the graphics whores out there... Map is now available in HDR!!! and it looks gorgeous. Give it a try ;)

Will see if I can get b3 uploaded tomorrow sometime. Until then...I must sleep...this is wreckin my head now :D stooopid hammer.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

i had the problem too
    That cubemaps wont build.
    It worked after I recompiled the map

6. Riot

Riot Member

ive compiled this map about 30-40 times now at this stage. still no go. Any idea what fixed yours?

7. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Change name of it and do a recompile?

8. Riot

Riot Member

thats been done several times

9. Demented

Demented Member

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Pretty high chance you have a leak, its one of those problems that are most annoying because they are inherit to come across once in a while even if you are a great mapper (just because sometimes you make a small mistake or something)

try to load the pointfiles and follow the red line in your map, see if it ends up at an entity with its origin outside your map or at a wall breach in your dimension

tell us if this works!

11. Riot

Riot Member

there is no pointfile. pointfile is only generated if there's a leak, also the log would reflect this. Also vis and rad dont run when theres a leak. It's not a leak, thanks anyway guys..

12. Demented

Demented Member

Actually, RAD will run when there's a leak. It just does an excessively bad job (any face that isn't in direct view of a light will be pitch black).

13. Riot

Riot Member

still, it aint a leak. sorry folks, no winners here so far. my lighting is sexy :p

14. Caelo

Caelo Member

have you tried applying a different water texture?

15. Riot

Riot Member

yeh ive tried several different ones. strangely enough... the map that was recently uploaded to napalms, _b3, had cubemaps built by me on my own pc first. They wouldnt hsow up when I reloaded the map on my own pc but when I palyed it online, there were reflections on th water but they were all over the place.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Don't quit this map, its made of win...seriously, get another mapper to help you out. I know bumgravy is like an amazing mapper, but he maps on possibly the biggest pile of shite you will ever see (800x600 res D: ) so hes not ideal for testing maps and shit. Try mayama, blight or Dz. They all map and have non-fail PCs.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

I would like to offer my services too if required, that is if you desire it

18. Riot

Riot Member

Ok so. I have a new Orange Box version in the workings. A few small tweaks here and there. Fixed the texture problem a few people were having (hopefully) and added more infantry cover in the form of large rock formations scattered across the landscape.

EDITTED: Water problem sorted, jsut need to figure how to change the fog distance under water. Suggestions welcome.

If anyone wants to help out, I'll be happy to send them the VMF. I really just want this map, after all this time, to be over and done with and playable. thanks.

Also, expect beta4 of this map this weekend if the full compile goes ok tonight ;)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This map was awesome, and I'll pitch in a bit if you want.

Also, afaik you should use the changelevel command.

20. Omneh

Omneh Member

I've been having issues with water not showing up properly as well :/

Dunno what causes it. Check it isn't in a func_viscluster, since that seems to be suddenly causing issues.