emp_tropicvendetta_b4

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by John Shandy`, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

emp_tropicvendetta_rc1

Release Candidate 1 of this map has been released, and to start clean and clutter-free, I've started a new thread for it. (I only do this every so often for the major releases of this map.)

Click here to view the new thread.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  2. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Reserved.

Edit: Deleted clutter.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  3. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

just do what I do and blame shandy for the late release ^^

4. Ytpm3

Ytpm3 Banned

One of my favourite customs.

5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

You could use nems terrian generator for the hills.

6. recon

recon SM Support Dev

This map looks incredible.

7. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

My Shark Will Get You.

8. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Its A Shark!

9. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Fixed!

10. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

few mins ago:

nf captured our flag, so did we with the nf one (somehow...) and the SAM site one killshot the nf cv for an epic win.

11. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

ya I saw that happen once too, dono what the deal is, im pretty sure it has something to do with the fact we changed what type of entity the blimp is made of to stop the nade spam crash. Ive also seen JPL remove parts of the blimp without it being shot(the 'special effects' broken pieces that fall when shot) I am reluctant to change the type of entity again, however it doesnt make sense to me why the NF one would recieve additional damage compared to the BE one.

12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

my one issue with the map is that the water hits an edge to the point where it is infinite visibility if you are underwater and look straight out. Having something to block that infinite view in the 3d skybox would make the shark areas especially much more exciting. Right now you can't normally see the shark, but if you have the infinite nothingness in the background, it kind of stands out in front.

13. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

That's a shortcoming of Orange Box. Prior to orange box, proper underwater shading would be maintained in the 3D skybox. Since Empires 2.2x though, you'll notice that on just about any map if you swim out to the edge where the map meets the 3D skybox, underwater you can see clearly - prime examples are emp_isle and emp_duststorm, and even emp_coast_b5.

We tried putting some brushwork in both the normal map and 3D skybox to block that infinite visibility, but it just made a horrendous outline that could be seen above the water level by spectators and players, a result which was far more unpleasant than the unfortunate endless view underwater.

There's just not much we can do, but this occurrence simply wasn't present pre-OB.

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Make the corners of the 3D skyboxwater a quarter of a cylinder so you
    cant see the edges of the skybox on the horizont line.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Wait wut? that works?

thanks mayama, if this works i have been taught a new thing about mapping ^^

16. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

eh? what? I dont understand what your trying to say. if your saying make the 3d skybox water a cylinder around the island, it already is and has been since the begining.

17. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

ok I made some changes to the map, tried a couple variations but the CVs were still being one shot, think I got the final solution now though. restarted the map a dozen times and it is no longer 1 shotting the CV, however infantry falling or on the edge of the blimp will no longer die from the explosions for the most part now :( ( i wanted too killllll all of yoU! :D ). Oh well small loss IMO.

now stop finding bizzare ways to crash the game! :p

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

You could add a giant killbrush that catches the outside of the blimp? But I think people who jumped before the missile hits shouldn't die, in terms of where the CV is, people should probably still die, can an infantry only killbrush be created?

19. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

and add a giant phys push brush at the same time, so the corpses go flying in all directions.

20. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

there is still the one explosion that hurts the CV to 30% health there and it will kill anyone inside the bottom of the blimps and induce ragdolls on them. there also has been a trigger_push in the bottom and side of the blimp since the beginning as well.

in other news I thought I'd figured out our vis compiling bug, but after a 14 hour compile on my computer it appears to have not finished because steam was closed, bleh GG. w/e

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.