emp_thetrenches (work in progress)

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by SgtCiof, Dec 10, 2007.

1. SgtCiof

SgtCiof Member

This weekend I decided to load Hammer for the first time in a while. I decided that I wanted to try something that isn't featured in any maps today. The map is set in a ww1-ish battlefield. There are two long trench lines, controlled by BE and NF, with two smaller ones in no man's land, which are neutral. Behind the main trench lines are large mountains covered in snow, which protect the team's bases. Each base has 2 refineries, barracks, radar, VF, armory, and a CV. The goal is to capture all of the flags, using any means available. The research starts out with nothing. Engies have no build restrictions.

Let me know what you guys think of this. I'd like any suggestions as to how to improve the map.

Update: Link to first release http://files.filefront.com/emp+thetrenchesrar/;9245532;/fileinfo.html

Some pics:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  2. arklansman

arklansman Member

Needs to look like natural terrain, not a bunch of cardboard boxes. It could also use some higher spots for grens to mowtar from and scouts to score a kill every ten minutes.

Also, please, for the love of god, don't add fog. D:

3. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

You really need to add some variation to the terrain. Some sand dunes to duck behind would be really nice, as would some rocks. Its just too flat, even for a desert. I love these kind of maps, but there needs to actually be a little cover outside the trenches. Also, you might want to limit engineers from building walls.

4. SgtCiof

SgtCiof Member

Well I've fixed up the map a bit. Lightings fixed, and fog has been implemented perfectly. Added many more craters and hills, which act as cover for inf + veh. Playing around with vehicles I discovered somethings which should make research and the game interesting. The BE Med Tank wont cross the trenches, which is unexpected, but works nicely. NF LTs won't cross over the trenches either. So in the beginning of the game BE has advantage with AFVs, but once meds come in NF dominates. Should be interesting to actually play. I'll get some screens up tomorrow as my internet is too slow to upload any.

5. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

As much as i like the idea of the map, where it stands now, all it takes is a team of scouts and grens to dominate: scouts pick off stragglers/rushers, grens just mortar the trenches to hell. Needs more variation, as i assume we will see with the new screens.

6. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

If the teams in your map had time to add wooden floors and concrete brick walls, they probably would have added many other features of trenches.

Here is a good diagram:
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/2354/trench1.html

Cool stuff to add:
    underground bunkers (to protect from artillery)
    communication trenches (to move between lines)
    engineer-buildable blockades to close off certain sections and funnel enemy troops

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  7. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

there is that awesome Red Orchestra map fought in an uphill trench battle. Could use that as an example.

8. SgtCiof

SgtCiof Member

Added barbed wire when moving through causes damage. I've implemented the artillery so every 5 seconds both NF and BE will have one large and damaging shell hit each of their front lines in a random spot. I'll upload a video and some images tomorrow, and maybe the map itself. I'm now going to start working on putting some underground bunkers for cover from arty, as well as engineer-buildable tunnels going underneath the battle.

9. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

10. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

If you can get engineer buildable tunnels, you will have to tell us ALL how to do that, that is the one thing that everyone here wants but doesnt know how to do.

11. KILLX

KILLX Banned

that would be easy I think. just have the tunnels pre-placed but blocked, and engineering building unblocks them. same effect, just looks different in execution.

12. SgtCiof

SgtCiof Member

I think I have an idea. I'll place the tunnels in the map, then block them off sections of it with build-able brush. If I put the brush high enough, went it is build it should rise 25% Thus opening the tunnel up. I'll give it a try.

UPDATE!!!!!

IT WORKED! I'll hold off the release of the map and get some tunnels under ground, only for show. I've yet to think of a way for them to be of any use in the map.

13. SgtCiof

SgtCiof Member

Ok so I finished up the first beta of the map. Forgot to add lights in the tunnels underground, but the flashlight works well enough. The ladders don't work for some strange reason I can't figure out, so if you go into tunnels you'll need to suicide/noclip out. The entrance to tunnels is located in the north Brenodi frontline trench, cut into the trench wall.
    Here's the link:
    http://files.filefront.com/emp+thetrenchesrar/;9245532;/fileinfo.html

Tell me what you think, as I need all the advice and criticism I can get.

Updates: Pics added to front page

14. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

need pics.

15. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

You can't spawn so you really can't get a feel for the map.
    by the looks of it you can't get out of the trench once your in it.
    The terrain could really use some realism, more variance in the textures. And why are the bases prebuilt?

16. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

Nice first try, but you need more practice :D

17. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

Can you also make it possible to re-block unblocked tunnels? :D

18. KILLX

KILLX Banned

idea: add a dirt overhang that can be unbuilt. once fully unbuilt, it collapses the tunnel.

19. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Shouldn't this be an inf-only map? :confused:

20. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Just use the tunnel models included in the mod. Make those buildable, and when they get built, make some dirt brushes disappear. If the tunnel gets destroyed, the dirt brushes should re-appear, and activate a trigger_hurt that kills anything that was in that tunnel piece. Or make the dirt func_doors that open and close really fast. Come on, use those mapping brains!