emp_tankwar

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Jcw87, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

I made a map a while ago that focused completely on vehicle warfare, to satisfy all the newbies who want to get in the big boom tank and wtfpwn everything. I recently decided to add lighting (crappy lighting) and releasing it, in hopes that someone could modify it and make it better. The layout and texturing pretty much suck. It consists of 2 bases, each having 2 floors, the top floor having the vehicle factories and spawn points (to stop ninjas), along with a teleport to the first floor. In between the 2 bases theres a wall. Feel free to modify it, just send me the updated source file, and i'll make it "official" if its better than what I have.

http://www.hlrse.net/empiresvhe/Jcw87/emp_tankwar_beta2.rar

This map dug up 2 bugs in empires. If you are teleported in a vehicle, you may not see buildings at the destination. Your minimap location name will also be screwed up, and the direction your vehicle is facing somehow influences it. Both bugs can be worked around by exiting the vehicle. The teleporters in the level only teleport things every ten seconds. Attempts to enter enemy teleporter entrances/exits result in death. Teleporter entrances are marked by a light matching the color of your team. There are semi-helpful arrows at the spawns to direct you to the teleporter room.

EDIT 6-14-07: Qwerty's account has been suspended, and the above link no longer works. Use this one instead.
    EDIT 6-16-07: Sometime today the problem was fixed. Updated URL to the new version posted later in the thread

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

could you post some screenshots for c&c?

3. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Thats the fastest reply i've ever seen. I post the thread, refresh the forum page, and theres your reply! So I took a screenshot, it should be attached, and like i said, it looks crappy.

Attached Files:

4. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

It looks plain, but somehow that brings Doom to my mind, so it looks attractive to me. :P

5. dnc

dnc Member

i can see tank wars played there, but you need some kind of like disp, or something to hide hedind, maybe horny rabbits tank models will do.

6. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i had to read that like 5 times before i remembered horny rabit was someone on the forums who posted some modles he made.

7. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

O.O that fat guy in the tutu?!!?

8. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

Looking at the screenshot, thats somthing i wouldent even play if i was paid to do so :|

It looks the way things did 10 years ago :(

9. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

Let's see some of your complete maps. :) But I agree, it might be fun to play on, but it looks like I could count the number of brushes in the entire map on one hand.

10. picard131

picard131 Member

Make it an bigass outdoor map with relatively smooth ground big ol' potholes, plenty of the Empires dead tank models, and some small amounts of foilage, and you'll have a believable tank war map.

11. katana9000

katana9000 Member

Hey this is great. I needed a base map to teach myself mapping. (The fact that it is simple helps alot.) So as you can see it has surved a purpose. :D

12. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

I already know it looks like crap and the layout is crap. Thats why i included the source in the archive so that someone else could improve it if they wanted.

13. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

14. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

screenies. always

15. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

JCW -

First thing --> looks great :-)

However, after it crashed the dedicated 3 times I tried running it on a listen server. Crashed that too :-(

Sure you included all necessary files in the rar?

It always crashes when a tank gets near the middle wall. Boots up fine.

Good luck

16. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

It must be the displacements... the old one doesn't crash... and I finally did manage to crash my listenserver. Maybe source dislikes flat displacements? Or maybe I did something wrong while making them. Screenies will have to wait till this is resolved. The beta2 file will be replaced when it is fixed.

EDIT: I just compiled a version without displacements, still crashes.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

What did you add near the middle wall, and are there errors in the map?

18. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

The only thing that changed near the middle wall was the addition of displacements... but I've already ruled that out. The crash doesn't always happen at the middle wall, but it is much more likely around there. And no compile errors of any kind... just the warning to rebuild cubemaps when you get in-game (cubemaps shouldn't do it either, as the same texture that uses them was in the first version as well.)

UPDATE: The crash appears to be related to the vehicle teleport bug mentioned earlier in this thread. The crash only ever occured while I was in a vehicle, and after using the teleport. If I got out of the vehicle after teleporting, then got back in, I couldn't get it to crash... within seconds of using the teleport to get back to base, it crashed. As for why this wasn't a problem in beta1, it probably has to do with he map size. So, this vehicle teleport bug needs to be fixed, or I have to find another way of preventing the VFs from getting shot at.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  19. Simon

Simon Banned

Just make a ledge to drop down and the vfs around a long corner.

20. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Download the map, drive around for a bit, then tell me if you would still be happy with the size of it if I made the field smaller to accommodate that, keeping in mind that when the map is played there will probably be 19 other tanks driving around. I don't think that is a viable alternative, considering the map size limitations. Nice idea though, if this isn't resolved by the time 16x maps are ready, I'll probably do that.