emp_Supply

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by supaste, Jun 12, 2006.

1. supaste

supaste Member

i had a idea for this map a while ago whilst i was kayaking on my local river (the river tees-england)

there would be 3 bridges mostly based on the river, i had a go at making one of them in hammer, there would be a Northen Faction sea port in the top left hand corner of the map and then a curvey river comming down to the bottem right of the map where there would be a NF factory which had been taken over by the Brenodi.

There would be 1 bridge at the top of the map 1 in the middle and 1 at the bottem.

This is the new port bridge i wanted to have this near the top past the seaport.
    [​IMG]
    this is the newport bridge down
    [​IMG]
    and this is it up

[​IMG]
    this is what i have achived so far in hammer with making it, but i think that i would have to start again if i wanted to put it at the top of the map.. but im not sure, any way it was the first decent looking thing i ever made in hammer = ]

(new post because of picture limit)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  2. supaste

supaste Member

the secand bridge that i wanted to use in my map was the tees barage. The barrage controls the water flow of the river and filters it (and some of it goes into a manmade white water cource) because of this the water past the barrage is much deeper and the water before it is shallower (it also stops the water above from being tidle and salty). This would give purpose to my map because otherwise it would be more sensible to have boats go right up the map rather than to the seaport.

[​IMG]
    looking downstream

[​IMG]
    this shows it looking upstream. (the foam is just from the drop) nope the salmon bridge on the right.

also i havnt decided on what the sea port should be shipping.. but i was thinking bits for tanks and ammo and i think the factory should be somthing that assembles them but im not sure.

i havnt decided on what the 3rd bridge should be like but i know some of props i need.

For the sea port:

cargo containers
    fork lift trucks
    pallets (the bits of wood fork lift trucks put thie foks into)
    some sort of gantry crane
    maby some trucks/lorries
    mouring posts
    barrels

once i have a better plan of the map sorted out i will ask for help ... but until then i just need ideas (but you are welcome to try and model any of those thing if you like)

p/s can anyone find a good tut for world builder for me to use? (so i can make a rough map)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  3. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Looks neat! Getting inspiration from the real-world is always cool :) I don't know much about Hammer, or the SDK at all, but most people suggest checking this Wiki for more information: http://www.empiresmod.info/index.php/Mapping

4. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

This whole idea seems pretty cool. If you are new to hammer, I would suggest checking out some tutorials.

This is the best site I have found:

http://gamewag.com/hl2.html

It is a directory to tutorials around the internet.

Also, I learned SO much about displacement surfaces making my map that I would be more than happy to share some common knowledge with you.

For instance... I had no idea how to use the 'raise to' tool...

5. supaste

supaste Member

well after messing around with hammer for a few months whilest not being able to compile i learned a little but then within the last week i maniged to compile my maps and i have learnt a great deal within this time.

As of yet i have only been mapping for css (because it seemed easyer) but i think that within the next few weeks i will have learnt the basics for empires mapping.

I might get on paint or somthing and make a map design somtime soon but until then i will contine learning hammer.

Also i would quite like to maby set up my own mapping design team, if you are interested please PM me. (the idea being for people on the same sort of level at map-making as me)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  6. jouwmakker

jouwmakker Member

nice idea

btw its always good to make a quick sketch of the map you are going 2 make (i do that when im bored when i let my imagination think of something nice)

i think the second bridge will look awesome but very hard to make

and will the first bridge climb up??? its nice 2 see but a bit unuseful

7. supaste

supaste Member

(im at school atm)

but after having a think about how hard it would be to make the top bridge go up and down i dont think i will even bother trying unless i can get some reli good help.

also i have been making lots of sketchs and doodles of my map idea. Why i get home today i will have a go at making a very basic empires test map to get the hang of it.

oh and where do i enter this http://www.empiresmod.info/index.php/Emp_info_params

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  8. supaste

supaste Member

i have begun making a practise of the barrage...

[​IMG]
    (it dosnt have the upper bridge atm)

9. Flolou

Flolou Member

What's the purple box?

10. supaste

supaste Member

its a unrendered NF command vehical so i can get the size of the road right

11. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Looks good, keep up the good work!

12. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

You know there is an option to render 3D models from a further distance. If your PC can run HL2, it's quite safe to whack this up to the max.

Looking good!

13. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

The port could be like the port in lost coast, the one that is getting shelled by the combine fortress. My first thought when i read this thread

14. supaste

supaste Member

i wouldnt want it to be constantly getting shelled even if there was no arty, i was thinking that if loads of work went into it i could have a gantry crane on a loop moving crates and containers...