emp_stolen_stargate_scavenger concept!

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by мrвlυeѕĸy, Nov 25, 2010.

1. мrвlυeѕĸy

мrвlυeѕĸy Member

The following is the concept of a map idea that I have but will probably never make due to lack of time and mapping skill (and also I cant be arsed ). I throw it out to the community incase anyone wants to give it a try (maybe as a group).

It is a completely different gameplay mode. It involves stealing the stargate models from the cancelled Stargate Legacy mod. I feel we have a moral right to do this because they were breaching copyright to start with and everyone knows that two wrongs make a right!

The result looks somthing like this. Using the correct entities it is possible to make fully working (dialing +soundfx) stargates. You can even drive vehicles through them!

[​IMG]

The basic map idea is this:

• 2 Starting bases.... each with a stargate
    • A central fighting zone with a third stargate
    • No resources on the main combat layer of the map
    • An extra 4 differently themed vertical laters to the map (see below) that can only be reached by dialing them on the stargate - commanders cannot build on these layers but APCs can go through for spawn points.
    • Vertical layers will have some form of objective such as either flags or randomly spawning brushes that provide resource when they are destroyed (like tiberium in C+C). These objectives will be the only way the teams can earn resources
    • Stargates will be able to dial through to 1 target at a time and connection will last 30 seconds. It will be possible to dial into enemy main or the middle of the map... or from any of the layers to any other layer.... as long as there is not already a stargate connected to it.
    • Visibility of different layers will be prevented by those special brushes that block model/brush visibility/rendering (cant remember what they are called).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  2. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

i like it ;P since im a stargate sg-1 and atlantis fan (fuck universe). lol seems like a job for that guy who made rainbowroad and octogons. so each layer is a different environment? lol i think the stargate needs an iris or a force shield =P

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

You'd probably hit a fucktonne of source limits, as well as having problems with the minimap.

4. мrвlυeѕĸy

мrвlυeѕĸy Member

Yep... minimap would be a lost cause.... I was thinking that before. My solution: I'd put something cool there instead... like a limecat maybe....

5. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

i doubt u can make it multi level, the best u can probably do is partition a big map into 4 quandrants and make teleports for each quandrant. =P so it would be mainly infantry battle

6. Trickster

Multilevel would maybe be possible, but I don't know how it would handle vehicles going through the portals, only infantry.

7. мrвlυeѕĸy

мrвlυeѕĸy Member

Technically both work... I tested them back when I was planning on making this map... I placed the whole of district on top of another map and then linked them with stargates :)

Vehicles teleport works fine. You need to set the teleport entity setting to "physics" or something like that. I think you can even set exit velocity to match entry velocity .... which has some fun applications.... :)

8. Trickster

That's interesting. This stargate doesn't let you see the other side though, is that possible? I'm thinking for aircraft boundaries when we get aircraft, to save space on the map, if the entire edge of the map was a teleport to some slowly damaging outer area (looks that way) to force people to get back into the main map.

9. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

I hope you try and look at what Eternal Silence does for their spacecraft. When someone in ES flies too far away from the map, a voice says "you are leaving the battlefield" and you get turned around and pushed back into the map. That might work better than slowly killing a vehicle.

10. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

lol Eternal Silence.. was kinda fun for a few days. i always pick the fighter with homing missiles or gatling gun. the non spacecraft element of that mod was kinda bleh..

11. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

This thread is not about ES.

Don't let them go to our side of the gate! Drop ammoboxes and start nadespamming!

12. zenarion

zenarion Member

How do you allow commander view across this map?
    How does the grid system work out?
    If this map can be made, I will love it.

13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

downsize the entire map to epic small proportions then you can have a mini-universe for your gates.