emp_slipslidingaway - Tank traction

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by recon, May 11, 2009.

1. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I was playing on emp_delta today, and I noticed my heavy tank sliding around like an LT with 3 phase on duststorm. My heavy had advanced coolant.

Are tanks supposed to slide that bad? It feels like they are way too light. Is it the map? If it's not the map, maybe upping the weight of the tanks could solve the problem.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. Drag

Drag Member

It could be the map. Afaik all textures used have a "surface property script" attached to it. There are values like friction and whatnot (valve standards) This is why ice textures can be slidy and so on.

It could be steering issues of the BE heavy (nothing has changed about it in the last patch though)

It could be lag making the steering issues worse: As vehicles aren't properly predicted every little bit of lag makes you have less and less control over the vehicle.

Adding more weight sadly doesn't help in most cases. It should stay around 1800. The more weight you give it the worse the problems. Taking weight away makes new problems.

3. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

4. arklansman

arklansman Member

Traction always gets messy on sloped surfaces, cyclopean is one of the worst offenders.

5. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I think it's the map.

I don't think it has to do with the tank, but I'll look the next time I play on a flat map.

I had a 180 ping, so that could have contributed.

Good to know.

Most of the ground is sloped on delta, so that could be it too.