Emp_rooftop WIP

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by arklansman, Sep 12, 2006.

1. arklansman

arklansman Member

Here is a beautifully drawn concept drawing for my first empires map, Emp_rooftop. This will be a very small map. I want to make it a battle in a run down city with BE starting on the rooftop of a large warehouse/factory/whatever to the north, and NF starting in the alleyways to the south. There will be a large 3-level parking garage in the middle, with two engy constructable bridges leading to it from both sides (and an extra walkway for Nf).

I know it doesnt make much sense to have tanks on the roof of the buildings, but it sounds so damn cool. :D

[​IMG]

Ideas (tell me whatcha think)
    -Some sort of freight elevator on each end to take tanks to roof (and back down)
    -pre-built refineries (BE building could be some kind of giant refinery?)

Please add any other ideas/comments/questions.

2. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Wow, I see my idea of paint has caught on!

Looks good to me. How many levels of play will there be?

Will it be infantry only?

3. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

dude, totally do that.

4. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

An interesting concept, make it happen

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Would the ground level be accessible?
    As an added alternative to the elevators, you could include ramps at either end.
    What kind of protection will there be seperating the two bases?

6. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Intresting concept. What I'd like to see would be an additional building on the mid part.

Like:

|______|
    =======
    ---------
    |______|
    =======
    ---------
    |______|
    =======
    ________
    |______|

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

BE needs buildings like NF has, and here's a good IMO way to make it vehicle friendly:

imagine a semi circle of road between the bottom left of NF going up to the lower road, then another semi circle on the right connecting the lower road to the top road, and then another semi circle linking the top road to the top left conrner where the BE base is.

then you can drive vehicles into and out of your bases, along the roads, but they are prone to being sploaded. and it would also be faster to just run across the top.

would that work?

8. arklansman

arklansman Member

-niarbeht - There are 3 levels of play and there will be vehicles.

-broccoli - yes the ground level is accessible; i was thinking about that too, but i couldnt think of a good way to make them on the 2 nf buildings; umm, other than the parking garage, im not sure
    i need to find a way to make sure the be comm isnt a straight shot from the other buildings

-wereaser - more buildings are always nice, but then there wouldnt really be any middle ground to fight over ( or i guess you could consider it more middle ground. im confusing myself now XD)

-sandbag - i made the buildings different because i didnt want the map to be completely symmetrical
    and as for the road, do you mean like this
    [​IMG]
    i was already going to make the rest of the map vehicle friendly, but adding that extra section on one side of the parking garage sounds like a pretty good idea
    plus since this is the middle of a big city, it wouldnt make much sense to have the rest of the ground be dirt

<3 paint

9. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

hmm...u need any photoshop stuff done, other than textures? i dont like mapping as much as PS.
    i can make like grungy stuff, or a night sky, or a tech something. if u need any photoshop stuff done, my xfire is grayclay.

10. arklansman

arklansman Member

Look! Screenies! Of the parking garage! Which isn't completely built! With really really bad textures! And some brushes that have no textures!
    *attempts to cause more excitement*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But anyway, here are some WIP shots of the parking garage. This is just to show the basic shape and size. Just ignore the textures (and the lack of textures). Now i just need to add pillars in the middle and make railings for the curves *grumble*.

EDIT - Oh i just saw your post grayclay, and some photoshop stuff would be excellent. Have you ever done any skyboxes before, or just pictures of a sky? If you could make a complete sky box, that would be great. Grungy stuff would also be good, but i mostly need dirt and rubble, and there's plenty of that in hl2 that i could use. I could also use some graffiti for the nf alleyway (especially if it was empires themed eg. <3 blimbs).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  11. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

:-O

I never thought of that!

Anyone who can make Empires-specific graffiti, and perhaps some Empires-specific billboards, building signs, whatever, that'd be pure awesome!

Perhaps even miniaturized versions of certain awesome recruiting posters I've seen...

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

That's exactly how I pictured it, well done. I recon that woul be brilliant.

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Intersecting brushes make Gabe Newell cry.

Other than that, it's looking nice.

14. arklansman

arklansman Member

Dont worry about the intersecting brushes, i have to fix that. I also didn't realize how massive the nf comm was :(, so i'll have to do some resizing.

I need someone who can do textures. Really the only thing i need atm is parking spaces. I know there are some in hl2 but i cant find them. I downloaded a massive texture pack but it didn't have parking spaces :mad:. If anybobdy is interested in doing one i would <3 them forever. I can post what im going to use for the rest of the garage so you can make it match.

But in some better news i got the railing on the curves finished :D. It took about 30 minutes to finish 1 section.

15. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

this isnt very good, its my first shot at making textures. give me a week with tutorials and i will be making good ones. thats how it worked with sigs :)

[​IMG]

hey, does anyone know how to save textures? im working on basic parking spaces, but i dont no how to save them, or how to get more than one parking space type in the same texture.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  16. arklansman

arklansman Member

Well here are some new shots of the garage. broccoli and gabe newell will be happy now that there are no intersecting brushes! I had to make the pillars smaller because they were blocking the ramps. After i finish this post ill compile the map and see if the nf comm will go up the ramp.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is my idea for the basic shape of the BE building, tell me whatcha think.
    [​IMG]

@ grayclay
    What i really need you to try is to make a decal. You wont have to do the actual texture, just the graffiti part. I Hope this will be easier for you. Here's a tutorial on it.
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Decals_in_Photoshop

And to save the image as a vtf, you'll need this plugin for photoshop.
    http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=39

17. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

seems simple enough. ill try it.

EDIT:
    i tried making it, i dont no if i made it right.
    heres a download link:parkingspace1.tga

here is wut it looks like:
    [​IMG]

about the map, where are the buildings going to be?

want me to make you one?

18. arklansman

arklansman Member

I guess i should have explained myself better, you need to make the graffiti as a decal, not the parking space, it needs to be a .vtf. For the decal you''ll just need the graffiti part with no background as a .tga. Then you'll need to change that to a .vtf.

The parking space does look nice tho, but could you make it a bit more grayish/brownish with yellow lines. I want it to look more run down.

if you want to know where the buildings will be, you can see my first concept on the first post of this thread

and you can make me a siggie if you want

19. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

*head spins*

alright, i have the graffiti w/o a background in 3 formats: PSD, TGA, and VTF. what do u need? also, when i saved as VTF, there was a bunch of options, i dont no if i did the right ones.

edit: check it
    [​IMG]

i kinda want to add scuffing and stuff, but i dont no how.

20. arklansman

arklansman Member

I'll need the vtf, and the default options should be right. If they aren't, then we'll have to figure out what is.

For the parking space, I was hoping for something more this color
    [​IMG]
    also, there is a little white line in the two top corners that you might want to fix. When you're finished I'll need it as a vtf.
    Scuffing and stuff would be nice, but i don't know how either :P
    Thx