emp_lakeside

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Starcitsura, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

Using the digital elevation tut I came up with this large open map. Hills along the eastern and southern edge.

emp_lakeside_b1 (3782 k)

NF starts in a small valley in the north west.
    BE starts on in the south east, nestled in some hills.

There are no resource nodes on this map. Instead each team will receive 5 resources a second. The reason I did this is simply because I'm curious as to how it will affect game play. The "good" places on the map will only be good only because of the advantages the terrain offers. You must build a base in a location that gives you a tactical advantage, instead of a location that gives you a financial advantage.

The only balance issue I can foresee is BE already holding a high point. But I don't think it should be a large issue, as it is still possible to flank them if they decide to try and hold that position.

Map information:
    Cover - None (I have yet to add any, its a time consuming process that while it aids infantry, and makes the map look nicer, it doesn't add anything critical.)
    Size - approx. 1/5 sq mile
    Bugs - res file was miss named emp_emp_lakeside_b1, server admin's should rename this file emp_lakeside_b1

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  2. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  3. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

Interesting approach, but no eye candy:confused:

4. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

It will come, I just need to figure out what way to carve the map up with forests, couple roads, few random structures.

5. Silk

Silk Mapper

I love the way you did this. It's the first empires map that's so random that it looks like a picture taken from orbit. Very good start !

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Source isn't a heightmap engine, why are you using a heightmap with it?

7. petemyster

petemyster Member

5 a second as the maximum you can achieve in the map seems kindof low.

8. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

I see. I just asked because you called it Beta and I assumed all planned features were included. Creating forests is easy. Select the entity tool and place prop_statics in the 3D view, then select all of them and shift them down about 32 units, otherwise the trunks will end a bit above the ground. Finally open the property window for all of them with Alt+Enter and choose a tree model as world model.

9. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

He used it to try and get a more natural feel. Most now look like canyons that have been blasted out.

Something I would want to suggest is maybe put a few refineries but in hard to defend positions. Like in a bunch of trees surrounding the resource point so tanks and APCs cant rush through but infantry can, or on a small island where their is no room for defenses.

10. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Pm me when trhis gets on a server.

11. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

Because, I'm trying every feature thats available to me. I am also working on a city, but architecture is slow work for me, and I wanted to do something else for a bit to get me re-interested.

It might be low, but as its the only map with this kind of resource system that I am aware of, its hard for me to get the resources right on the first release.

Yeah, they are easy to place, but placing them intelligently is not as easy. I would like to put them in so they seem natural, but so they also add some strategic value.

12. Lucko

Lucko Member

Ohh, I want to try playing a game on that map now. Interesting idea having no refs, can't wait to try it.

13. KILLX

KILLX Banned

GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE! I WANTS TO BETA TESTORS!
    <caps>

14. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

At some point I'd like to make a map with a decent sized city in it, but firstly I dont have too much time from now until November (some but not enough for a map) and secondly I think it'd be best done with models, not brushes, and I haven't learnt to model and skin yet. If you can get 5 building models say with 2-3 alternative textures for each I think you could make a reasonably varied section of a city, maybe with some special buildings thrown in.

15. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

I had the idea to come up with a street layout, and and use place holder "orange" building blocks, and allow people to pick a block, and fill it with whatever they want.
    But having non-unique buildings with slight alterations of textures is a good idea.
    But models don't block visablity, I guess that isn't an issue because you can still use nodraws. but it would need to be kept in mind.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't know if you've been paying attention to the world but it doesn't default to solely ups and downs, there are such things as overhangs, and if you can't make your map look natural, using proper displacements you simply suck at mapping.

No you aren't, that's the point.

Instead of using every feature available, which in this case is source's displacements, and their ability to be placed at any angle, you're using them like a heightmap.

If you were using every feature your map would look much better than it currently does.

17. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

starting with them like height maps and then playing with them can let you get fairly much any shape still, its just a bit of an arse and you get stuck later if you want to put tunnels in / play with textures more (pah, silly map (mine, not yours)). since you can mould the displacements in z,y,x as you see fit as well as face normal / subdivide normal you have flexibility to do overhangs and whatnot (there is a bit of that on my map, but I'll admit, putting blocks in roughly the right place would have been much easier)

18. Silk

Silk Mapper

When Star said "every feature", i think he means doing it in different ways each time. The possibility to have a simple heightmap image and turn it into a realistic displacement surface is what i call a "feature" as well btw.

Wasn't mvalley and slaughtered made using heightmaps? I like both maps. The map i'm working on now (random stuff map) was my first map created using heightmaps. I've seen both advantages and disadvantages. Since i don't have tunnels, caves or anything else that would require more complex displacement surfaces, using a heightmap was a quick and effective way to get nice looking terrain that isn't troubled by those weird shadow problems the hammer compiler likes to add to my maps.

Having used a heightmap has brought other problems though, but so far no more than it solved.

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't object to you using heightmaps to make the rough shape of your terrain, but you should build upon it with overhangs and proper displacements, it shouldn't be left like that.

20. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Yes both mValley and slaughtered were made by using a heightmap as a start, and both maps are the best maps are two of the best ones.

Here is some constructive suggestion:

The map is a little bit too open as it stands right now; I understand what you want to achive, but an open map like this becomes easily succeptible to ninjas, and annoying tactics where you can't pin your enemeny down.

So I suggest you look at slaughtered; where it is highly linear, but still providing chances for a sneak attack.

By creating areas that players can't get to, you funnel the players into "Arenas" that increases the apperant amount of players currently on the front line, making for more action packed battles.