emp_ghostlands

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by hypnotoad, Dec 27, 2007.

1. hypnotoad

hypnotoad Member

This map is going to look something like the Chernobyl region of Ukraine, It will be a non linear map, but will have radioactive areas, and underground routes. to encourage linear gameplay.

I have no pics yet, but rest assured this will be a maximum sized map that will contain quality terrain and plenty of underground areas.

Expect something in the next 4-5 days. I have gotten my hammer working again, but I will be unable to do anything because I am going to the island in a few days (If you are from Vancouver you will know what I mean)

If you have ever played stalker, the map will have the same feel.

measuring the map, the map is about half a kilometer in size. (source maximum)

Here is a screenshot of hammer, I will start posting compield screenshots when I get the compiling issue worked out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  2. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Sounds cool. You could say that it's the ex-research site for a new nuclear refinery technology, or something like that.

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

wow, awesome!

4. sergeant mkoll

sergeant mkoll Member

AWSOME!!! a stalker map
    would this be a conquest or classic map? (cv or no cv)

5. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

I wana see it before i belive it

also, don't overuse the hl2 assets, remember to bring the empires stuff in to

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

[​IMG]

This is the best emp map ever

7. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

If you pull off a densely overgrown desolate region of wasteland in Hammer, and pull it of well, you get the Congressional Medal of Mapping (or whatever the fuck you Canadians use).

8. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Likely Something from the Queen. Officer of the Order of Canada i suppose. have fun on the island. I hear good things. i want to go See it, maybe in 2010

9. hypnotoad

hypnotoad Member

The top part of the map should be a breeze, I will use basic HL2 textures for the old Soviet-Utilitarian style buildings. And the forests in the higher areas wll consist of dead trees, decidous and poplar, and then living trees in the lower areas of the map. It is more the underground part that I am thinking about.

The tunnels with be dark and sewer like, containing labs and what not. I plan on making them somewhat scary (bodies and ruins) and hazardous (traps and radioactivity). And the enterances to them will be through elevators in research buildings, and through cottage cellars.

Plus, to avoid turret spam at the exits/enterances, I will make it so you can only exit from the exits, and only enter from the enterances. Once you get inside, you can't walk out again, unless you find one of the exits. That way, there should be few problems with turrets.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  10. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I honestly dont see that fixing turrets

11. hypnotoad

hypnotoad Member

scenario without my idea:

At every enterance to the tunnels, there are 2 turrets set up by engineers, nobody can go through tunnels, because they will be killed at the exits.

scenario with my idea:

Soldier enters underground by a partially broken elevator (it stops before it reaches the ground and you have to jump out)

Soldier goes through tunnels, reaches exit, climbs ladder. He is on the 4th floor of a baricaded research building, Where the only way in or out is through one of the windows (only accesable from the fourth floor), soldier jumps out of back window, avoiding the turrets positioned at the front of the building.

12. KILLX

KILLX Banned

that DOES NOT solve turrets. Turrets near the window will shoot him!

13. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Scenario, not Cenario.

I just realized that every culture has a name for an American, but we have very little for other cultures. This must change.

14. Mindfreak

Mindfreak Member

possibly the best way to solve a turret problem, would be to place some sort of debris of water at the tunnels, something you cant place turrets on, even if its just ankle deep water, or just some small rocks

15. hypnotoad

hypnotoad Member

http://www.pcgamer.com/images/Pripyat building.JPG

These are the kinds of building you find in chernobyl, I would like to meet the man who can place 20 turrets to cover 20 windows,

Not to mention I could make a way to the bottom floor aswell, where a lot of cover could be placed. With the amount of kills your turrets will not be getting, I am sure not many people would bother to place any anyways.

I realize that people could place distant turrets to cover 5 windows, but then they would just be thwarted by people exiting from the bottom floor.

16. hypnotoad

hypnotoad Member

Didn't see this post...

I will be probably be using a lot of those tree models you guys made.

17. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

If you want to limit turrets so badly, use the eng_restrict brushes to keep them from building.

18. hypnotoad

hypnotoad Member

Thanks, I will use those :)

19. hypnotoad

hypnotoad Member

Just a bit of an update, I should be able to get some pics tommorow.

Unless there are some unforseen complications (hopefully hammer will work, and stay working)

20. Androc

Androc Member

I am definitely interested. Make sure those tunnels are nice and dark, it would be good to see a real use for flashlights.

...By the way, how is anyone going to survive jumping out of a fourth-floor window?