Emp_Forest

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by vipervicki, Dec 6, 2015.

1. 101010

101010 Member

@flasche I said I would look at it. A full compile would take way too long with my PC. (CPU = 250u)
    Probably around Feb. Once the holidays are past and I free up some $ I'll be upgrading. I'd like to say then I would help with some maps and models. But to be honest i'm not sure. I love Empires and source engine. But unreal and other games have so much more to offer.

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Start compile before work, have it run during work, come back to finished compile?

3. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

off-grid could definitely cause you some issues, even on a tiny map.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

does it matter who compiles it? if you want to be the one who fixed it - fix it, gimme the vmf, tell me what compile options you want and ill let my pc do the calculations for you ...

5. 101010

101010 Member

Na I was saying that I never offered to recompile. Only offered to look at it and find issues.
    If and when I was to do Emp_forest I would basically use the idea of forest but do it from scratch.
    It's the easiest way to be sure the file is free from defects.

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Define easiest, because spending hundreds of hours working on a project does not sound easy to me.

I can recompile if you tell me the parameters and the changes needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2015
  7. flasche

now that you word it like this i read your previous post like that aswell, sry :D

dont bother, friday is my free day anyway ...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  8. flasche

meh im pretty sure the version i have is decompiled. the displacements are fucked up beyond repair.
    cliffs and floors are made out of 1 unit thick brushes with only one side marked as displacement - i doubt simon made it like this.

guess there is no quick fix, at least not with the version i have.

i am sorry, but unless someone has a original vmf (or a good idea) this would be a lot more work than id be willing to invest. (i was thinking a few hours all in all, this looks more like several days to me)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  9. 101010

101010 Member

Easier to remake it..
    Displacements are bad in hammer when re-working maps. Even while working on original not decompiled maps. It's very east to miss an not deleted face. Or sometimes hammer just removes it but you get stuck with ghost faces in your map. (Invisible walls) I can't remember what map but I know there was an issue where in game there was an invisible wall but even in hammer there was nothing there.
    Then there is the issues with decompiled maps. Like flasche said where things are just fucked.
    So for the most part your better off just starting from scratch.

@flasche - When I check the version Vicki posted. Seems like every thing in the map was off grid,
    there was holes in the map, bad displacements, and a few other issues.

I am kind of wondering if maybe the bsp code was changed more then I thought.
    I might try checking an older version of hammer see if the issues are there.

10. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

That is some awesome map making tips right there. Thanks

BTW, what kind of specs are you looking at to upgrade your machine, CPU/MEM.... I'm Looking upgrade my machine in the next couple months for better cad, proggie. Leaning towards multi core haswell with gobs of mem.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  11. flasche

if you find something and dont wanna wait till february, you know where to find me :D

12. 101010

101010 Member

Was thinking of a AMD a10-7850k build..But I keep seeing decent bundles on the i7-3770
    So that's
    Single Thread Rating: 2069
    Samples: 5922

VS
    Single Thread Rating: 1568
    Samples: 654

Kind of makes sense to drop a few hundred more for better performance.
    Always been an AMD fanboy but Intel has been dropping in price faster then AMD.
    Have to see what MB /cpu bundles are on sale when I go to build.
    Other then that I'll probably go with what ever PS, GPU,and Cooling is on sale, and Keep my current ram(4X4 corsair vengeance). The Case I will probably custom build unless I find one in a bundle.
    Never seen the point of over paying for a box of sheet metal.

13. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Where did you get the specs? I like to see comparisons on some options. For the type of stuff I'm doing I'm leaning towards the
    i7-4790K. Similar cost to a 3770, but supposed to be better on apps that hammer single cores... like some cad stuff I do.

I figure I can crunch a new map on one core, play a match on another , render a new model on a third and compile new code on #4. No problem right? :)

14. 101010

101010 Member

15. Silk

Silk Mapper

It's probably no longer relevant but i saw my name mentioned in relation to the #4 displacements

This is a quote from the topic destroyer was referring to. It probably isn't relevant anymore as 101010 seems to believe, but the difference was mindblowing to me back then and it might be interesting none the less.

So as long as there is even 1 level 4 present somewhere in the map, the engine doesn't/didn't use the much more optimized "physics terrain" anywhere but placed ALL displacements in "physics"
    Does this impact performance? Not a clue to be honest.