Emp_Echo

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Metal Smith, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

This one works and doesn't have any issues :P

Here's the alpha of the map for anyone that feels like taking a quick look. 3d skybox isn't finished yet. If you were wanting it for a server rotation, don't bother, This is only an alpha, so the next version will be coming soon, I just need some feed back where possible.

Map currently up for testing on nachos server.

Known issues:

Didn't set up the res props and the smokestack properly, they don't turn off atm. Will fix with beta1
    Some shade problems with the bottom of the hills, will be fixed on beta 1.

Other than that, I could use some opinions. I expect people will want more bridges (it's not really a bridge yet, but whatever). cause there are only the 2 out of the base atm. anyhow.

past into your empires folder, custom textures should be packed inthere with it properly. The textures that are custom have also been pack ratted into the bsp for anyone that wants to put it on a fast DL server. Thanks to shandy for the pack ratting.

Emp_Echo Overview:
    [​IMG]

Yes, Foxtrot is next.

anywho.

http://img15.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=empechoa20006.jpg

This is the remake of delta that i've been working on. obviously it's turned into something completely different than delta. I was going for, after I got going, to be like dust storm in it's openess, but still have different parts. All hills are climbable, but are quick large, enough to deter tank movement in most cases.

anyhow, I'm working on it, This is the alpha version, using some of shandy's cracked earth textures.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. OuNin

OuNin Member

emp_delta has been a favorite of mine. Glad to see this.

3. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Yes, I like it. Opennes, yet rivers.

4. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

some of the details have changed for now. The layout is roughly the same for the bases and inbetween them, but the bases are rather smaller than before I think. Enough room for the core buildings, but not a ton of extra space.

about 50% of the map is flat brushes. I used 1024x1024 displacements for extra detail, but with 900 at first, I was getting lots of hunk overflow errors. I reduced the displacements to only the river basins, the infantry area, and the hills. Roughly 450 instead of 900.

I've put in hills, but they should all be climbable at almost all points. probably will be rather difficult to get tanks up them, but not impossible with a good engine or scout speed.

Infantry area has been removed pending a playtest once I get a beta version finished. The area will be 1 double ref in the center, with room to place a barracks at either end, and also to the northern side. both double refineries are in this area, the refinery to the north of this area is also a double.

Currently, I'm leaving only 1 bridge in the map, and making all water vehicle passage the out and in type of play that existed in delta. This may change depending on how it works out in the alpha testing once we get things rolling.

3d skybox: Formerly, the map used a full 3d skybox with the entire map held within it to allow a close z clip plane in the fog without killing the visibility of the hills in the distance. Unfortunately, it'll be difficult to do this with this map due to the size of the displacements. I may have to end up redoing the displacements that are left in the main area of the map. Otherwise, added a 3d skybox results in a Hunk Overflow error.

Otherwise, general layout is the same as delta. I've also decided against re adding those forts, because tbh, they are kinda just 5 brushes stuck together and called a fort. They weren't large enough or protected enough to create the desired wall spam secondary base. However, with the hills around it, both corners are separated enough from the map that a few well placed walls can prevent tanks from driving into the base, while turrets on the hills can hopefully stop them from driving up the hills.

Anyhow, I'll get a overview up soon to show the map. Think of this as more of a dust storm styled map.

If the infantry area would work out, It would also be possible to just add it back in and remove that refinery.

5. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

whys the guy in the middle sad?

6. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

-_- go away hamster

7. OuNin

OuNin Member

Hopefully, not like build-god-damned-everything-anywhere duststorm, right?

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

the idea is that you have 1 base that is almost unassaultable unless the enemy puts forth an enormous effort. It's designed for the same slow games that delta was having. I enjoy those, and some others do too.

I might, after the play test happens, make the one area infantry like in delta. i think that was, of all the parts of delta, the best thought out and designed part. It gives teams a way of gaining resources in a way that does not depend upon tanks. That way, even a losing team can keep some sort of defense and research going.

However, with how easy it is to defend the main bases from just about everything, I might not have to worry too much about this. We'll just have to see how no spawn points and ability to drop barracks and armories affects the gameplay.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Fixed the issue.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  10. jragbir

jragbir Member

lol

<filler>